“Disappointing”

Ranked #276 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Old, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We booked via late rooms for my birthday. We dropped our bags off at the hotel early and must say reception staff were friendly and helpful. It was late when we got back to the hotel, had we not been so tired we may have complained about he filthy bathtub and dusty room. However, we went to bed only to find our legs started to itch. Not sure if there were bugs of some kind in the bed, or the sheets had been washed in something strange. Not impressed. For a hotel of this rating would at least expect cleanliness of the bathroom.

3 Thank Bailey11ch
Shahar R, Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Mrs. Bailey,

Thank you for your review.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you suffered as a result of the issues you experienced with your bedroom and I can appreciate that this must have been very frustrating.
However, I believe that we could change your bedroom with no trouble if you have told us.
We didn't receive any complaint from you during your stay with us.
We didn't change anything with our chemicals products to clean our fabric.
It’s a shame that you wrote down that we have bed bugs because we do not.
It’s not a nice thing to accuse us for something that it’s not the truth.
Thank you and I hope to see you again as our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We booked with a baby to go to a wedding in London. The hotel staff could not do enough for us. We had asked for a travel cot, which they provided and then changed at last minute to another put-you up. All the staff were really friendly and helpful and allowed us to store our luggage an extra day whilst we were at the do, at no extra charge.
The only criticism I would have is the extortionate prices of the mini bar, which I felt were there to catch you out. £6 for a small bag of M&Ms is ridiculous and I wonder how many people ate them before realising!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eabtwj
tophams186338, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments about the hotel.

We sincerely hope we can welcome you back in the very near future.

Best regards
Sahar R
Manager
Paignton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had stayed in this very nice boutique hotel before a few years ago and one of the things I remembered about it was the lovely Egyptian cotton bedding. On our first night we were so disappointed to find that the bedding was very ordinary cotton that clearly had not been ironed properly and there was a hole in the middle of the duvet cover and at two corners. There really is no excuse for this! In fairness this was put right the next day as was the dusting of the TV table and TV which clearly had not been touched for some days. There are obviously some housekeeping issues which need sorting out.

2 Thank chorltongirl187069
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel.

We were rather surprised to read your comments about the Egyptian Cotton as we use the same supplier we have used for many many years and the sheets are the same?

I have taken up your comments about the room with the Head Housekeeper and the team have been reminded that the highest standards are expected, you are quite right in saying that there is no excuse for this lack of attention.

We sincerely hope we can welcome you back in the very near future.

Best regards
Sahar R
Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Perfect small hotel. Warm and cosy in winter and a lovely looking place. Rooms tasteful and a funky lift too! Recommended. Perfect place to stay with central London 5 minutes away. Charming. *******************************************

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Rowley B
GM159, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, 23 February 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review about us on Tripadvisor; we are pleased to hear that you had such a great experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Colonnade Hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,
Shahar R
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

this is the hotel which u find ur peace. the hotel is location is excellent. I spent with my family in aug for two weeks in this hotel. the rooms were so clean, looks luxury and very gorgeous. Restaurants and the foods were amazing. Staffs were so professional and polit.
we strongly recommended you to visit and I’m 100% sure, you will not regret.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank parvaz2013
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I spent a night there and was very disapointed.

I think there's a lot of things to know before you consider going there on a good deal. I got a decent deal so I decided to go for it since the location was convenient for me.
My bedroom was in the basement and it was terrible:
1/ no outside light
2/ very close to restaurant which was a problem since they had a private party the same night
3/ Wifi service didn't work in my bedroom, was alright till the door but didn't work in the bedroom. I suppose the router was to far or something like that.

Not to mention the very small & old bathroom.

I highlighted point 2 & 3 before leaving, they didn't seem to care at all.

I wouldn't recommend the place. London is a big city with a lot of good deals and I don't think this one is.

Room Tip: avoid the basement
6 Thank alex655
Shahar R, Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience.
Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I am truly sorry for the trouble caused during your last stay
As we explained you we had a Christmas party in the hotel.
During the party we didn't receive any single complain from rooms next door.
We apologies to you and sent you bottle of wine.
You said that you are fine with that.
You didn't tell us anything from your list mention here as I believe the only issue was the party.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Colonnade hotel London in the future.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

A gorgeous looking hotel, however avoid at all costs for afternoon tea.

We went along with an open mind for our tea date. I have to agree with other users the cheap finger sandwiches were very sad. They consisted of 3 cream cheese and cucumber, 3 egg mayo and 3 ham and cheese.Miniature eclairs, fruit tarts, a tiny piece of a brownie, stale carrot cake not enough cream for our 2 scones, that is just one each.

This was a very poor display of afternoon tea. We had no offers of more of anything. There was no service and we were the only people there, in the basement.

If you want a decent afternoon tea then avoid The Colonnade as it is sad and an unpleasant experience, an altogether an expensive mistake.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank chocolateblonde
Shahar R, Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you suffered during the afternoon tea in my hotel.
After we met and you have told me that you do not like our restaurant decor I couldn't say much.
Some people will like it some do not.
It’s a question of taste.
From our lovely restaurant you can go out to our beautiful garden in front of the hotel.
There are not a lot of hotels that have one.
Please do not say anything awful about the food as you finish the entire tray so how come the food was terrible??
Please check your comments on different hotels all of them terrible how come??
Thank you.