“Fantastic value in a great area”

The Colonnade London
Ranked #340 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the Colonnade on a trip to London recently, for two nights. I booked the hotel at a very good price (£142 for 2 nights), which was by far the cheapest hotel I could find for 4 stars. I arrived quite late in the evening and was welcomed to the hotel and shown to my room. I was quite shocked at the standard of decor in the hotel, it is really stylish. The receptionist asked me whether I wanted still or sparkling water in the hotel and when I was shown to my room, I was shown the coffee/tea facilities, ironing board etc. I was surprised at how large the room was!

I slept well at the Colonnade and ordered breakfast to my room both mornings, which was delivered at exactly the time I specified. The staff were really polite and helpful and I enjoyed my stay. There are plenty of restaurants and bars in the vicinity of the hotel and it is an easy route to get to the centre on the tube.

I have seen a few people have written about the sound of the tube, which I must admit I could also hear from my room, but luckily I was exhausted each night, so drifted off very easily. I would also say there isn't much choice with the food, so I decided not to eat an evening meal in the hotel (although the restaurant looked very nice). The only other point I can pick up, is the toilet seat is plastic (I know it sounds really petty)- which is something I am not keen on.

This hotel is really great value for money and I would recommend it to anyone, I will definitely stay here again!

3  Thank sophevans311
GM159, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write the great review about us on Tripadvisor.
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay so much and were so happy with your room and the service.
Please do recommend us as you said in your review.
I hope we have an early opportunity to welcome back to The Colonnade and the Little Venice area in the near future.
Best regards

There are newer reviews for The Colonnade London

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked a short stay here through a Travelzoo offer for last week. The offer promised an upgrade but we were totally amazed to be shown to the best suite in the hotel. It was really impressive and had a huge 4 poster bed that you literally had to climb into. It also had the best duvet ever, and although the weather was warm you just had to snuggle down in it. The staff were very friendly, polite and extremely helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Breakfast was served at the tablein the dining room, no breakfast buffet here, and the continental option offered plenty of choice. The location was excellent, just a few minutes from the Tube and very convenient for central sites. We also spent a lovely day exploring Little Venice itself. The hotel was truly a little gem and the generosity of the management with the spectacular upgrade really made our stay very memorable. We will definitely be coming back here again in the future.

3  Thank babyboomers02

Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about us on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and found us such good value, the upgrade was our pleasure it obviously made your stay more memorable.
Best regards

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Used a KGB deal voucher to have afternoon tea at this hotel, which was great value at £17 for two people. We had a very warm welcome, and taken to the lovely light and airy tea room. The sanwiches and cakes were really nice, as was the coffee. And we were offered another pot of coffee and sandwiches which was very generous. There was an option for sitting outside to enjoy the experience had the weather been warmer. A really lovely experience. If I was coming to visit London, this would be a great place to stay - a beautiful boutique hotel. And just a couple of minutes walk from Warwick Avenue tube station which is great for easy access to the city. The area around the hotel is very nice, and really quiet.

1  Thank fionaj64
GM159, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We are delighted that you so enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to The Colonnade.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is not far from the tube (at Warwick Avenue), only a mile from the West End and in delightful Little Venice. The rooms are good and the staff keen to make your stay good. The price reflects the less well trodden location.

1  Thank JamesDav

Thank you for taking the time to write the review about us on Tripadvisor and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to The Colonnade and the Little Venice area, we're delighted you felt at home.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at the Colonnade for four nights during a business trip and would recommend with caveats - I would give it three and a half stars if that were an option adding a half star for some of the staff and would deduct a half for some of the others.

First, the rooms - like many in Europe they are small by U.S. standards but I wasn't in it much so didn't mind. My room was a "petite" in the corner on the third floor so a bit dark.The view was of an alley and fire escapes. The main living area was tight but doable. The room was was next to the elevator - the oldest in London - again charming but a bit noisy when the elevator was in use. The proximity of my room to the door and room next door was also a slight noise issue but only when those guests were coming in or leaving their room.

The bed was very comfortable. Towels were stiff and scratchy. Air-conditioning dripped whenever turned on and I had to place a towel underneath so as not to hear the "plop" of the water on the carpet throughout the night.

Now to the service - I had the unfortunate experience of my checked bag being left behind by the airline during a stopover in another European city. The complete lack of concern and coordination from the front desk staff was disconcerting. No one asked if they could provide me with any extra toiletries nor did they offer to intervene. Perhaps a small boutique hotel shouldn't be expected to provide "concierge" services but a human level of concern would have been appreciated.

Between my British colleagues and American Express global assist, we were able to locate the bag with delivery expected that night. The hotel was aware. When I returned from dinner and asked the individual about my bag they had no idea what I was talking about. I learned from Amex that when delivery was attempted the service found the front desk unattended and door locked and so took my bag with them to attempt delivery the following day. In the morning, I inquired and was told "Well, it's a small hotel", "It was evening so you can't expect to have someone in attendance at the front desk because they have other things to do" along with several other lame excuses.

The bag was delivered the next afternoon - the hotel actually called to tell us this while we were in meetings but when I returned to the hotel the woman at the front desk was completely unaware and asked me if I had received my bag as she didn't know. I was flabbergasted until she began asking around and learned that the bag had been delivered and was in my room. The lack of communication and coordination at such a small hotel was astounding.

Of the four nights, I had chocolates on the pillow two and on one evening returned to find the door to my room left unlocked and bolted open after evening turn down. Nothing was taken but it was jarring to know that anyone could have walked into my room at any time. Similar lack of care and concern was evident in the restaurant staff where service was delivered with a yawn.

There were positive exceptions - all of the bell staff were charming as was Borden, the overnight front desk attendant I chatted with while waiting for my taxi for a very early morning ride to Heathrow for my departure.

Overall, the charm of the hotel itself, the comfortable bed and linens, cleanliness and wonderful location make the Colonnade worth a try. The staff, albeit friendly as noted by others, should be more consistent in delivery of hospitality and service.

1  Thank MindyG10543
GM159, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write the review about us on Tripadvisor and I'm delighted that you chose us as your London base.
I was very disappointed to read your comments about your luggage, we do our best to ensure the service we give excels expectation as demonstrated but many of the previous reviews but in this case things were not handled as they should have been. I have taken on board the points you raised in your review and have spoken with our reception manager who in turn will remind all the team that the highest standards of care and attention are expected at the hotel.
I have also spoken with our housekeeper turndown and security.
Thank you for your kind comments about Borden.
I hope we have an early opportunity to welcome you back to The Colonnade on your next trip to London and please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be delighted to take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been staying in the Colonnade Hotel in London's Little Venice district off and on for years and have always found it a comfortable and genteel haven that is conveniently located near the Warwick Avenue tube station in one of London's most pleasant neighborhoods. Although most, but not all, of the rooms are small and tight (you pay a significantly higher price for roomier accommodations) the beds are generous with good linen and fine pillows. I have a hard time sleeping in hotels but not in the Colonnade. The rooms and the hotel public areas are tastefully decorated in period style. The staff is friendly and mostly helpful. There were some glitches this time around with an iron in the built in cabinet that hadn't been cleaned and was gummy and a non-pickup of some laundry. But, all in all, the Colonnade is a very pleasant place to stay in London. Just around the corner, on Formosa Street, there are several quite good restaurants and coffee houses as well as a few shops. The Warwick Avenue tube station takes you straight to Picadilly and beyond on the Bakerloo Line. There is a lot to recommend this fine hotel.

Room Tip: Prices have gone up but you can get better deals on line if you book for a week or longer. The large...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Michael S

Thank you for taking the time to write the review about us on Tripadvisor and I'm delighted that you choose us as your hotel of choice when you come to London.
I am sorry about the iron and laundry on your recent stay I've noted this and spoken with the hotel housekeeper.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Colonnade and Little Venice on your next trip to London.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

A wonderful hotel in victorian style, with attention to every detail!
The staff is courteous and professional, attentive to your every need!
At the Reception we met a really cool girl named Maggie. Helped us a lot, it's nice, courteous and professional!
The rooms are great, clean and comfortable!
The mascot of the hotel is a very sweet cat that welcomes you with loving purr!
We loved this hotel and will definitely return!
We really felt at home!

2  Thank Dario A
GM159, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write the review about us on Tripadvisor and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay so much.
I'll bring your comments about Maggie to her attention and glad you liked our mascot Minnie our resident cat.