“Afternoon tea for a hen party” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Colonnade London

The Colonnade London
Ranked #279 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea for a hen party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

We didn't stay in the hotel, just had afternoon tea for 16 people. I was very impressed with the service in the lead up to our booking and must thank Shahar for his attentiveness and answering my many questions!
The afternoon tea itself was very tasty, the service very good and we liked the fact we had our own private section of the restaurant to ourselves. Overall very happy :-)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kate C
GM159, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the great review about us on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea so much.
Thank you also for the kind comment about myself!
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Colonnade for Afternoon Tea very soon.
Shahar R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Essex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Got this through groupon, it was worth it as an offer but I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price. The afternoon tea was nice but the hotel looks like it needs updating especially the restaurant bit shabby.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write the review about us on Tripadvisor and I am pleased you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea.
We hope we can welcome you back to The Colonnade and the Little Venice area very soon.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed with my one year old son and my husband for two nights. The staff were so friendly that it actually felt like I was staying with friends. I entered the hotel with my baby after travelling by train and tube and losing my iphone. The staff were very helpful which helped me to relax instantly. They all got on with my son and so I did not feel like my son was a nuisance at all!! I just want to mention a fairly new member of staff who was absolutely lovely; Jean. My baby loved her.
One member of staff, i didnt ask her name though, even helped me to pin a scarf to my back as I was getting ready to go to a wedding. Breakfast was delicious, although there is also a scrumptious cafe around the corner. A quiet, beautiful road in the middle of busy London.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a beautiful balcony but if you like a window open all night then ask not to have the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
3 Thank sabinah r
GM159, General Manager at The Colonnade London, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about us on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
We are delighted that you appreciated the area and the service, we welcome children of all ages and aim to be as family friendly as possible.
I'll pass your comments on to Jean, she's fairly new to the hotel but has been with the company for a fairly long time.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Colonnade and the Little Venice area very soon.
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a holiday/working week. We were informed at check in that we had been upgraded, which was good as I suspect that 5 nights in a compact double may have been a little cramped. We found ourselves now in a very pleasant fourth floor room; the biggest drawback of which was that the lift (which is quirky!) only goes to the third floor. This is ok, though not ideal, on a daily basis, but on arrival and departure it's a bit of a pain. The bathroom was compact, but had all that was needed. There were, however, several cracked floor tiles, which didn't give a good impression, and some of the towels, which were fab and efficient, were a little frayed at the edges - again maybe not giving the best of impressions. I think too, that I would expect some slightly more upmarket toiletries in a 4* hotel. The room was beautifully cleaned each day. Staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful - couldn't fault them on their friendliness, welcome and desire to please. We did have a few issues over the timing of breakfast, but these were resolved by the end of the week, and wouldn't have been an issue if my husband hadn't been needing to get to work. We had room service breakfast (at no extra cost) each morning, which was a real treat. It would have been helpful though to have been able to have ordered the breakfast items individually with some more vegetarian options, rather than it being assumed that all full English breakfast eaters are carnivores. Having said that though, the poached eggs were perfect each morning - no mean feat! The complimentary sparkling water and newspaper each day were much appreciated and nice additions to our stay. Transport links are simple - Warwick Avenue tube station and a bus stop are within 200 yards of the hotel's front door. I am sure we will be back, this was a comfortable, welcoming, friendly place to stay and, for London especially, good value for money.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Holyrocker
We are delighted that you appreciated the area and the service.
I have taken on board your constructive criticism so thank you for that and the feedback.
Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Spend two nights while on a business trip. The Hotel is small. No gym, no pool. limited extra amenities. The room is decent - but no sound proof wall - you can hear any conversation outside the room. No hangers in the closet. I asked 3 times from the front the desk. Still waiting for it...
Bottom line - this is a 3 star hotel; not 4 starts. If that's what you expect - you'll be fine.

Room Tip: Do not take a first floor room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write the review about us on Tripadvisor I was slightly surprised by it's tone as it is not in keeping with other reviews.
It is true the hotel has no gym or pool but on none of the areas where the hotel can be booked do we advertise we have these facilities, had you wanted these 'extra amenities' there are many hotels in the area that can offer this.
I am very sorry about the coat hangers I will speak to our housekeeper about this.
I am glad you thought the room 'decent' as we had upgraded you at no extra cost.
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Only stayed one night at this hotel & chose it as my son lives nearby. I found booking direct with the hotel was the cheapest way (as opposed to going tho London hotels websites) and I also had breakfast included which was a great full English with all the trimmings ( costing £17.50 on menu).
The welcome was good and friendly although the room wasn't ready till 2pm on the dot.
I had booked the small double room for myself but was very pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a studio which had the four poster bed and a very elegant sitting area.
Slippers, towelling robes, complimentary newspaper, bottled water, good toiletries, apples & biscuits all made for a happy stay.
The location is right next to Warwick Avenue tube station taking you to Oxford St in 10 mins yet in a quiet and leafy location near to good restaurants by the canal side at Little Venice.
Felt a little sorry that I was out most of the time but will be sure to return.
Compared to other London hotels I have stayed in I think this one offers good value for money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank bedirxan
Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about us on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you were 'Happy Happy.'
We are delighted that you appreciated the extra touches and the service.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

My last visit to this hotel was in 2011. The hotel had recently changed ownership, and director's of the new owner were in the hotel at times, and were extremely friendly and welcoming. Often a return visit does not live up to expectations, but this was not the case. Reception staff were efficient, helpful and friendly (and the beautiful cat was still around). On arrival, I was escorted to my room, and was just delighted to find that the radio was on and tuned to a classic programme. Its little touches like this which make the Colonnade special. I had been travelling for 9 weeks, and to arrive at the Colonnade felt like arriving at a very special place.
There was fruit in the bowl on the desk, water and newspapers were provided.
My only issue was the fact that wifi was not very reliable in the room I had, which required me to sit in the reception area to access the internet. This was not the case on my previous visit.

Room Tip: Make sure that you won't get a basement room. On my first visit I had a wonderful room, with a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank arapuni
Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about us on Tripadvisor, we are delighted you came back and that you enjoyed your stay.
We try and make it a home away from home hence the extra touches, you obviously noticed the different 'feel' at the hotel