Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$329
US$254
US$232
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$217
US$195
US$286
US$247
US$200
  • Pool
1,191 results
All reviewsbar bouludhyde parkharvey nicholsknightsbridge tube stationsloane streetluxury hotelbottle of champagnefour seasonsafternoon teaamazing hotelthe ritzbuckingham palacehestonharrodssparoseberyconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Globally I am not satisfied with my stay in this hotel, it is expensive but the service is lacking, like the minibar was never refilled on cereal bars, on one day I found a paper from some medication after the maid cleaned the room, then at the Boulud Bar, the guy at the entrance let us wait for more than 45mn for a table that was available, later offered not to invoice two glass of champaign that we took, but still invoiced them, the day after I came back and told him I was not satisfied with the situation and he said he would took care of me, I only took one small plate of charcuterie and one glass of wine (total cost around 20 pounds compared to the 36 pounds of the two glasses of Billecart), when the invoice arrived the charcuterie was not removed…

The spa was full apparently with no specific reservation slots for the hotel guests, then when I left I had a hard time removing the internet charges even tough I have a small world card which specify they should not be invoiced and even tough I did not use the credit I had for a dinner or lunch at Boulud (valued at 100 pounds)

Later I received an email with the invoice of the internet charges (36 pounds) because I should have reserved through a small world which is a club and not a reservation center.

I was also supposed to get an upgrade with my Platinum Amex package but my room was small and smelling old.

The Dinner by Heston Blumenthal restaurant and breakfast are nice tough.

For such a high price they are much better options in London, where you will not have the feeling that the hotel is expensive and the people running it cheap.

Room Tip: Half of the hotel is renovated, you should ask for a renovated room if you don't want to feel you are in a 19th century hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
MO_HYDEPARK, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear jclinder, thank you for sharing all these insights into your recent stay and I am terribly sorry that your experience was not as it should have been. First, I apologise that we were unable to offer the complimentary upgrade to the next room category, which is part of the American Express FHR Programme, due to the hotel running at very high occupancy during your stay. The room upgrade is subject to availability at time of check-in and was unfortunately not available on this occasion. Regarding your experience at Bar Boulud, I have personally investigated the incident and our Junior Maitre’D did make a mistake by not removing your beverages from the bill when he had, in fact, verbally offered to do so. I do believe he tried to rectify his error the following day when he extended an invitation for a complimentary drink again and honoured it during your subsequent visit. Nevertheless, I can assure you this was purely a mistake which should not have occurred. Finally, in terms of the complimentary internet access, the hotel is a preferred partner of A Small World, however, partner benefits are not able to be combined with other offers. Your reservation was made via American Express and therefore the A Small World benefits could not be applied. Thank you for providing this invaluable feedback, which allows us to continue improving our service for you and other guests, and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to delight you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact myself on 020 7235 2000 should you wish to discuss further.

The Hotel Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in August with my family. I have stayed a couple of times in the past, mainly for work. I found the service level impeccable. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left we were made to feel special - nothing was too much bother. We had dinner at Bar Boulud where we were looked after very well, including sending my young son's meal to our room as he fell asleep at the table. Our room was lovely and I didn’t see any of the signs of tired that other reviewers have mentioned.

The staff are all friendly, approachable and genuinely seem pleased to be working there.

If I had any negative it would be that the Kids breakfast should include a drink – paying nearly as much for an apple juice as boiled egg and solders was a bit of a shock!

I will definitely return.

Room Tip: I have stayed in Park, Courtroom and Knightsbridge and they all have different positives and negatives Park = quiet and lovely views of Hyde Park Courtroom - quietest but no view Knightsbridge - noisy when the fast cars drive about at night but I loved being able to open the window and hear the buzz of the City below me. Everyone to their own different rooms will appeal to different people.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Doromaysam
MO_HYDEPARK, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Doromaysam, thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London; such feedback is invaluable and much appreciated. We were thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful stay, had a memorable experience in Bar Boulud and enjoyed our “impeccable” Mandarin Oriental service so much. Likewise, we also appreciate the comments relating to the pricing structure of the Children’s Breakfast Menu. This is something we are looking into and would welcome any further thoughts that you have to share surrounding this matter. We would, therefore, like to invite you to contact the hotel directly to speak with the Resident Manager (+44 (0)20 7235 2000 or via email at molon-info@mohg) to discuss further. On a final note, the entire team were delighted to learn of your intention to return and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

The positives are the restaurants. Bar Boulud is fabulous and having breakfast on the terrace overlooking the park was great.

The negatives are the rooms. They are ridiculously tired. Not old and charming. Just old. This hotel is coasting on the Mandarin Oriental name. I have stayed at the MO in SF, Barcelona, Munich and NYC and they are all much better hotels.

I assume that The London Mandarin Oriental meets the technical definition of a 5 star hotel, but I never stayed in a 5 star room that was so bad. Our room, 725, booked on the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts had a door that when locked you could still see a ton of daylight from the hallway. It didn't look substantial or safe even when locked. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have slept on. It was solid as a rock with absolutely no give. There was a "Japanese nightingale" floor outside the door where you could hear the creaking floors of everyone who walked by the room. The carpet and furnishings were worn. The bathroom was uncomfortably minuscule and ugly. It looked like they slapped on some new marble and fixtures and left the old ugly mirror, ceiling fixtures and obscure window.

The gentleman who escorted us to our room claimed that this one of their best courtyard rooms (which are supposed to be quieter than other rooms, but the view is of a light well shaft).

I was excited to stay at this hotel because it is so beautiful from the outside and the location is great. I was not a fan.

In prior stays I have stayed at the Berkeley, the Savoy and the Connaught. They are all much better than the Mandarin Oriental London.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sfhappycamper
MO_HYDEPARK, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear sfhappycamper, thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London. We truly appreciate your honest feedback. From reading your comments we recognise that there were a few instances during your visit where we fell short of meeting the high expectations that Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has become renowned for; expectations that we are very proud to be associated with and work hard to deliver every day. In particular, we were most upset to read your description of the condition of the room and would very much like the opportunity to discuss this issue further. We agree that it is totally unacceptable and are currently investigating the matter. We would like to invite you to contact the hotel directly to speak with the Resident Manager (+44 (0)20 7235 2000 or via email at molon-info@mohg) and would welcome any further comments you may have to make. We hope that we can restore your confidence in us and look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London some day in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I went to the Mandarin many times in the last 20 years and i must say i still prefer the old hyde park hotel with the british style. No doubts it is one ofhe best hotel in london but it is incredibly expensive and the breakfast room has lost a lot of his charme. A room with the view on the park is beautiful but really excessively priced. Service is great and the location is convenientfor shoping and running in the park.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Massimo A

Dear Masimo A, thank you for the recent review on Tripadvisor about your stay at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London. We were delighted to read that you enjoy our British style and world famous Mandarin Oriental service so much and that it keeps you returning year after year. Thank you also for the feedback regarding our breakfast restaurant and the pricing of our breakfast menu; such valuable comments are much appreciated. We would welcome any further thoughts you have to make regarding this matter and invite you to contact the hotel directly to speak with the Resident Manager (+44 (0)20 7235 2000 or via email at molon-info@mohg). We very much look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here for just one night because we wanted to eat at Dinner. The service at the hotel is very good, and we had no complaints. The staff was very accommodating and patient particularly at breakfast when we were hosting friends with two small children.

The rooms, however, felt old and tired. If you are looking for old world charm, this hotel will certainly satisfy you. But the ceilings are low, the furniture and the decor are worn, and the rooms (while possibly sizable for London) feel small because the layout is such that the foyer is separated in a small room apart from the bedroom. The bathroom also, while charming, was cramped for a hotel of this caliber with just one sink.

We had a pleasant enough stay, but at the prices this hotel charges, we will most likely stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ykwriter

Dear sfkari, thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London. Whilst we were thrilled to read that you enjoyed our world famous Mandarin Oriental service and food and beverage outlets so much, we were disappointed to learn that we weren't able to completely delight you on this occasion, especially in relation to comments about your room. We appreciate this feedback and are currently working on a full refurbishment of all the soft furnishings in every one of the rooms and suites in the hotel. We would, therefore, very much appreciate any additional comments that you have to make and invite you to contact the hotel directly to speak with the Resident Manager (+44 (0)20 7235 2000 or via email at molon-info@mohg). We hope that we can restore your confidence in the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London some day in the future.