“Excellent night out”
Review of Vinopolis - CLOSED

Vinopolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Vinopolis, a wine tasting experience tucked away within beautiful Victorian railway arches, a stone's throw from Borough Market... With eight tasting and education zones and more than 100 wines, spirits and Champagne to taste, you are sure to find something you love at Vinopolis. Do you like crisp and dry wines or prefer more powerful and robust flavours? Chat to our experts and find out more about your own individual taste profile on our interactive machines, sampling at your leisure! Before or after the wine experience, feel free to stop by one of our five onsite bars and restaurants for a bite to eat, or visit Laithwaite's wine shop and the Whisky Exchange to pick up a bottle of your favourite find. Did you know? Vinopolis also has eight fantastic event spaces that can be hired for corporate or private use.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was a brilliant night out which we both thoroughly enjoyed. The talk before the wine-tasting was useful. It is a little pricey, but I think it is worth the cost. The champagne bar was particularly good!

VinopolisLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Vinopolis, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for your review, we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and the Champagne Bar. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Started with a 15 min lecture, nice guy, but heavy accent and difficult to understand. You are then left to wander around aimlessly with a voucher card which upon inserting into machines, you get a small sample of wine. The wines were poor quality, there was little atmosphere and poor value for money.

Thank you for your feedback, we're very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit. As advertised on our website, every visit to the wine experience begins with a 15 minute 'How to Taste Wine' session with one of our wine guides, after which guests are free to explore the eight different tasting and educational zones in their own time.

Approximately 65% of the wines, spirits and Champagne on the experience are worth 1-2 tokens (retailing at £8-20), 30% are worth 3-4 tokens (retailing at £21-35) and 5% are worth 4+ tokens (retailing at £36-100+)*. This allows our visitors a wide selection of good quality wines to choose from whilst also ensuring that the wines we offer are accessible at wine shops such as Laithwaite's post-visit, so visitors can continue to enjoy these wines at home.

We appreciate your comments regarding the difficulty in understanding our guides and are working with them to ensure clearer communication going forward. Many of our guides come from wine-producing countries and have experienced working in the wine industry first-hand, they are located throughout the wine experience to advise and chat with visitors should they desire more guidance.

*data accurate as of March 2014

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I have been to vinopolis three times now (why the three stars you ask?) but for functions.

They have changed the layout in recent years to automate the experience but I can't help feel they have lost something.

Gone is the banter with the friendly sommeliers, gone is the interesting videos from the Far East wines but perhaps a clearer understanding of the wines and regions is there.

I just wish a balance could have been struck with the new system and I feel that the prices could offer more.

VinopolisLondon, Marketing Team at Vinopolis, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We're very sorry to hear that you're not a fan of the Enomatic machines. One of the reasons they were introduced was to allow our hosts the freedom to spend more time with you, offering their expertise and suggestions throughout your visit. Our wine guides are located throughout the experience and are chosen based on their knowledge and passion for wine and are typically very enthusiastic about the subject. I hope that you consider visiting us again in future as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I'm a bit torn on my overall experience. I did the Essential 27 pound tasting experience which includes seven tokens on a tasting card. After paying, you join a group for a 10 - 15 minute tasting lesson. Then you're let out into the tasting rooms.

The wines are arranged in the type of cases where you insert your card and the spout pours out the allotted taste (a bit smaller than I was expecting). Different wines are worth various token amounts. There are several 1-token wines on up to 6-token wines. Helpful staff is available to answer questions.

Because I wanted to try some of the higher token wines, I shelled out another 20 pounds for 16 more tokens. Sounds like a lot but with 3 to 6 token wines it goes VERY fast.

Here's why I'm torn. I do a lot of wine tasting and live in California wine country. Yes, it's a tasting, but I thought the automated pours were quite small and overall it was a very pricey afternoon. Yes, I tried some great wines but I likely could have had a similar wine experience with a tasting flight at a wine bar.

I think if your access to wine tasting is more limited then you'll probably get more out of it than I did.

Thank you for providing us with your thoughts. We are pleased to hear that you found the staff at Vinopolis to be of help and will pass on your compliments to them. It is disappointing to hear that you felt the afternoon was a bit too expensive. All wines on the experience are of a high standard and are not the average wines that most would come across, therefore making them somewhat unique. We recommend guided experiences for those individuals with a more expansive knowledge of wine which allow you to have a private tasting with one of our trained wine experts. We hope that you will consider visiting Vinopolis again in the future.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We hadn't been on the tour for a number of years, so it was good to experience the completely re-vamped offering. The basic tour offers just about sufficient tokens to try out a good selection of the wines if you go with someone else and share the samples around(!). The initial briefing was OK, the staff on hand in the main areas were excellent, helpful but not over-bearing. You are very much left to your own pace, so you can stay until closing time, and there are even places to buy some foods to enjoy with your wine samples. They have cleared out the major displays about the different wine-growing areas, but the relevant information is still available to find. Good they offered cloakroom facilities (free) and good clean bathroom facilities.

VinopolisLondon, Marketing Team at Vinopolis, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your positive review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us and appreciate the time that you have taken to leave us with your thoughts. We hope to see you again very soon.