“Great upgrade to restaurant”
Review of President Hotel

President Hotel
Ranked #511 of 1,069 Hotels in London
North Shields, United Kingdom
“Great upgrade to restaurant”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I always stay here when in London on business (and at weekends too). The restaurant has recently been re-modelled completely and this brings a touch of class to a well - used friend. I know that they are also upgrading all the rooms on a floor by floor basis, coming down. Floor 7 is done, and they are working on floor 6. I just hope it doesn't put the price up, as it's really good value just as it is!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Halifax
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My wife and I have enjoyed 3 nights at the President Hotel. A warm friendly welcome, a comfortable and adequate room and a brilliant breakfast were all much appreciated. The only downside was the evening meal which we chose as an extra. Because of upgrading on the Monday evening we had to dine at adjacent and shared hotel The Imperial, in the same group. The food was adequate but not brilliant but service was not good. There was no organisation, the main problem being a female who bordered on useless. To be asked at checking out if we had had any drinks, to see at least 20 more couples or families in a queue to get at table when there were more empty tables available was pathetic and anguish was on their faces. The Tuesday the new refurbished dining room was open and the service was marginally better but the same woman was in charge again. Again there were queues for people to be seated and plenty of empty tables. Overall a good hotel, but the carvery dinner could be better and to have someone competent in charge would improve the whole situation for diners. The staff and service in the Antiram Bar was excellent. John H, Halifax

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in the first week of April (Arrived 1st April, checked out 6th April). Location is great - close to the train station, coffee shop and grocery store and all major sights were no more than 20mins on the tube. But that's where the good stops.

I could never log in to the wifi and most of the time the network name wouldn't even show up on any of my devices. I tried both my phones and my laptop and nothing worked. This is something I very much needed considering I need to keep in contact with my family back home.

A light in my bathroom stopped working on about the 4th night I stayed there. It kept flickering very brightly and was quite disturbing. Also my toilet wouldn't flush properly the whole time I stayed there. I had to flush it at least 2 to 3 times for the rubbish inside to completely go away. I told reception about this and the employee who came to see didn't seem to care about fixing the problem at all.

None of the staff (apart from the concierge staff who were very friendly and always willing to help) were friendly or helpful very much at all. Even when I asked for something to be done about the light and toilet I felt like I was disturbing them and that they didn't really seem to want to help out.

The continental breakfast that was included in the accommodation wasn't very appetizing either. I'm not a picky eater but I didn't really enjoy the breakfast and on 2 of the days I ate away from the hotel because of that reason.

Also I tried to use the phone to call reception at on a couple of occasions but the phone didn't seem to work. It just beeped when I tried to call and I followed the exact instructions on the phone too.

Even when checking out no one asked me how my stay was or were friendly again. I would think that this is a normal thing to ask when someone is checking out. Again this made me feel like I wasn't a valued guest of the hotel or that the employees cared how my stay was.

When I ever to get back to London I will not be staying at this hotel again. I plan to inform my travel agent how bad of an experience I had at this hotel. I'm just glad that my whole time in London was amazing considering how unhappy I was at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Keziah L

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have stayed here many times and always return. It is clean and omfortable. The location is excellent. The tube is a minutes walk away and several buses leave near the hotel. The staff seem to have been here fopr ages but still look young and fresh. They are always so helpful. The hotel may need some redecorating - actually the resyayrantr was closed for this!

It is a place I shall return ad have already booked a room for November!

Room Tip: Inner rooms away from traffic
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Big hotel, with lots of tourists. Location is great, and that's the best thing about this hotel. The rooms are only ok. Windows are made of a single thin glass, so it gets pretty cold in the winter. Breakfast is pretty average, watch out for dirty dishes and cutlery. WiFi is good and accessible from the room.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruno K
Christchurch
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good hotel and good location, clean, friendly staff. 3 minute walk from Russell Square station. Hotel has some good amenities branching off from main bar (coffee shop, bank, barber etc).

Slept amazingly at hotel(prob the days activities though)

Would stay again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D2DTCL
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Booked this hotel through a superbreak deal and found it excellent value for money. Easy to find come out of Russell Street tube station go left and take your first left and its right in front of you. Rooms basic but comfortable but this is fine for the amount of time you spend in your room. Breakfasts were manic as two hotels were using the facilities but we had no problem in getting a table. Food quality was very good and stocks were frequently replenished. Good location for Central London and the theatre district within walking distance. Only minor complaint was that the walls are thin and you could often hear people talking in the corridor. Will definitely use this hotel again next time I am in London.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple