“SMALL ROOM”
Review of President Hotel

President Hotel
Ranked #513 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

stayed on 7th floor. found double room rather small walk in shower Very small . new dining area is o.k. but Do Not Luke tea/ coffee been served at tables only warm. breakfast could be better. needed some well done bacon & propper fried eggs.soft yolks will be back in august. hope problems will be resolved

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank geordiemacke

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Nicely located just off Russell Square, this hotel has cosy clean rooms although the woodwork requires rubbing down and varnishing. There is not a lot of storage space and only six hangers but adequate for short stays. The televisions are small and there isn’t a wide range of channels and no channel guide. The bathrooms have showers over baths that work adequately. The water is very hot and so for showers run the hot tap at its lowest decent spray and then add the cold gradually to get your ideal temperature. There are tablets of hand soap (only) provided with adequate towels and a bath. The pluses are that the windows open, although they and the sills needed a clean, and crockery is Steelite or Churchill. The beds are comfortably hard with a duvet and good pillows.
The continental breakfast was totally uninspiring with boarding house toast and bitter coffee. The cooked breakfast items looked better and so it might be worth upgrading if you can face a full breakfast. We were still full from the night before. The breakfast is mass catering on a grand scale and so you might prefer to nip out to the Starbucks in the nearby Brunswick centre. We wished we had.
The best thing about the hotel is the Atrium Bar which has an art deco décor, a relaxing ambience, good service, excellent cocktails and ‘Hurricane Smooth’ American style beer at just £3.10 a pint. Off the Atrium is a newsagents, Barclays bank, coffee bar and Chinese herbalist.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PC_May
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had heard of the hotel being renovated and therefore working floor by floor. I requested floor 7 before my visit and was this was offered on my arrival.
Room was newly furnished, clean basic furniture, nearly wallpapered, painted etc, flat screen TV. Walk in shower instead of bath which I was happy with (although I do like my baths).
Room looked fresh.
Had breakfast in my room - purely because I knew they were renovating the restuarant too and though the breakfast room in the adjorning hotel would be busy. Selection was good, got what I asked for and the time too.
Wouldnt hesitate booking this hotel again because of the new rooms and also location of being nr a tube station etc, providing they do not put the prices up to reflect the renovation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank hugeabbafan
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have stayed here a number of times in the past, but not in the last 4 years. I only stayed 1 night this time.

The improved resturant area looks contemporary now rather than the very dated one that has been replaced. Although I could not find any yoghurt in the morning the rest of the food looked good.

I opted for a room at the back to avoid the traffic noise, but the huge extraction fan located at the back was making a noise all night, so not a good nights sleep.

The shower was very good with lots of hot water. One gripe about the bathroom is the size of the towels, the bath towels are the same size as hand towels, and one of them had a large black blob embedded into it, I did not investigate too closely at what it was.

The bed was firm and comfey.

Very small TV with limited channels.

I could not get WIFI in my room at all so I could not do the work I had planned to do, this is a big issue for me. Good internet service is a must in a hotel these days.

I would only stay here again if the better hotels in the area were full.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Although we appreciated the service at this hotel, we would not stay here again. The room was old and very cold (the windows let in a lot of cool air and were not well insulated!) There was no shampoo and conditioner left for showering. If we needed to use the hairdryer we needed to go to the front desk and leave a deposit of 10 Pounds. The WiFi was not reliable either which made planning our different sight-seeing days much more difficult. The bed was also as hard as a rock and had wheels so started to roll if we sat up with a pillow behind us.

The breakfast was terrible! Every other hotel that we stayed at served a continental breakfast that, although not fancy, was passable given how much hotels cost. This one was cold toast and cereal with stale buns. There was orange juice, fruit that tasted like it came from a can (or the garbage!) and coffee. We couldn't believe that this was what was offered!

The only redeeming thing about this hotel was its location. It is VERY conveniently located for catching the tube. There are also some good restaurants/pubs around to eat at, and the British Museum is very close by which was great for our few hours in London.

We would absolutely NOT stay here again. It was incredibly dissappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room and they will put you away from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caitlin M
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I always stay here when in London on business (and at weekends too). The restaurant has recently been re-modelled completely and this brings a touch of class to a well - used friend. I know that they are also upgrading all the rooms on a floor by floor basis, coming down. Floor 7 is done, and they are working on floor 6. I just hope it doesn't put the price up, as it's really good value just as it is!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My wife and I have enjoyed 3 nights at the President Hotel. A warm friendly welcome, a comfortable and adequate room and a brilliant breakfast were all much appreciated. The only downside was the evening meal which we chose as an extra. Because of upgrading on the Monday evening we had to dine at adjacent and shared hotel The Imperial, in the same group. The food was adequate but not brilliant but service was not good. There was no organisation, the main problem being a female who bordered on useless. To be asked at checking out if we had had any drinks, to see at least 20 more couples or families in a queue to get at table when there were more empty tables available was pathetic and anguish was on their faces. The Tuesday the new refurbished dining room was open and the service was marginally better but the same woman was in charge again. Again there were queues for people to be seated and plenty of empty tables. Overall a good hotel, but the carvery dinner could be better and to have someone competent in charge would improve the whole situation for diners. The staff and service in the Antiram Bar was excellent. John H, Halifax

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple