“Life in a refurbished matchbox.....”
Review of President Hotel

President Hotel
Ranked #506 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 June 2014

'You have one of the refurbished rooms' promised the receptionist (Lauren/ Laurien? Very good!) Great, we thought, let's have a look!

Up to the 6th floor to room 651 we went. Good job we didn't run in as momentum would have carried us right past the bathroom and bed and out of the window- a distance of about 12 cm!

This is definitely the smallest hotel that we have ever been squeezed into. I've taken larger tents on holiday. No storage other than a wardrobe squashed by bed. Not even room for drawers. Not enough room to pull chair out from desk and sit down- see the pictures.

Yes- it was refurbished. In a sort of sub-Ikea veneered light oak effect with wardrobe doors so flimsy that they will fall out by themselves one day- except that the bed will hold them in.

Couldn't actually use the left door of the wardrobe because it is blocked by the bedside cabinet.....

The bathroom.... The towels are horrible: 3 very thin and small towels and only 1 wire rack....so nowhere to dry them on. Shower shoots out water at all angles including at the ceiling. Drops from a morning shower are still there, hanging on the ceiling, 8 hours later in the afternoon so they are definitely there when housekeeping call..so why is nothing done?

Tea and coffee packs...very sparse.

On the first morning I spilt powdered coffee on the carpet. It was still there the following day so no vacuuming going on.

We were delighted to discover that included in our booking was a free 3 course meal on one night. Worth £15 this was very welcome on the Saturday evening especially as the service started at 5.30 and we had a theatre ticket.

We started with a 1970`s style retro prawn cocktail. This was ok except we were told off for serving ourselves from the cold buffet. One of the other starters was a selection of salad from the cold buffet... which is where the prawn cocktails were stored. Customers were being told off all night... This is the sort of pathetic attitude by hotels which really annoys me. If so many guests get it wrong perhaps the hotel needs to change the system....

Second course was a carvery. Choice of pork, lamb or beef. I asked for pork and lamb. I got pork and beef. When i pointed this out i ended up with all 3. Then a Yorkshire pudding and some mixed veg and gravy.

This meal was, frankly, dreadful. There was no discernible taste or texture difference between the beef and lamb. The pork was good. The veg out of a freezer and the Yorkshires all exactly the same size and colour... obviously mass factory produced. The gravy was tasteless. Dreadful.

Puddings are, I swear this true, served from a trolley which is wheeled around the room by an especially trained team of trolley wheelers. I was put off making a choice by the pile of coloured artificial cream masquerading as chocolate gateaux which was wheeled to my left shoulder. My wife bravely went for the raspberry cheesecake. This was not cheesecake – it was a thin fruit gateaux– and she says it wasn't raspberry either.

I dread to think what temperature the puddings are at by the end of service- and how many people have coughed or sneezed nearby... Meanwhile an entire refrigerated section goes unused on the second buffet. Saves cleaning it, I suppose.

Coffee was good.

I was so pleased that we hadn't paid for the meal or i might have been rather vocal about it.

Good things..... Reception desk was good. Cooked buffet breakfast is welcome with good bacon and scrambled eggs but awful sausages. Bag storage at only 50p all day and pleasant porters looking after it. TV set was good. Atrium bar area is good and also the service in there both times we tried it out. They make a decent Long Island iced tea. We were on an inclusive rail deal so difficult to comment on value but the signs in the lobby say 90 for a single and 120 for a double so that would be good for central London. The bed was good.

Staff-
Housekeeping- poor
Reception desk- excellent
Porters- good
Restaurant- poor
Atrium bar- good

This hotel does not understand it's guest sector. If a hotel advertises what is, after all, a very good rate for central London then it is obviously going for the tourist, fast turnover economy sector. All well and good. Having decided that but also having a restaurant they then need to gear the restaurant up to the same aspirations. Having waiters serve two out of three starters but the third 'serve yourself' takes staff away from clearing tables.

The main course, even though three are listed on the menu, are all buffet style- just different choices from the same buffet.

In fact the entire menu is an excellent example of marketing skill over reality. Possibly written by an accomplished estate agent.The puddings are on a trolley when they could also easily be self-serve- a great deal more efficiently and hygienically.

At breakfast the main complaint amongst the guests is the effort it takes to attract a waiter to serve tea/coffee. Make this self-serve as well- why on earth keep it to the staff? The staff could then clear tables a heck of a lot quicker.

Would we stay here again? Absolutely not. The Holiday Inn is far better although further away from Kings Cross. Staying at a Premier Inn would get a far larger and more comfortable room with a decent bathroom- but they were not available when we booked our break.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Feenee
Write a ReviewReviews (3,660)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

When I approached the hotel I wondered what I was letting myself in for. The facade was painted a murky shade of pink, and the reception area looked like a flash back to the 70's. The lifts looked like they needed a good clean and the hotel had a musty carpet smell to it. However, when I reached my room I felt as if I had walked into a different hotel completely. It was absolutely lovely. Looks like it had just been refurbished. Very clean, neat and tidy. A complete contrast to the rest of the hotel. I can only assume that they are going through a refurbishment programme and are staring with the rooms. I tried the restaurant for dinner and breakfast and the service wasn't the best. I think I am still waiting for someone to ask me if I would like a drink with my meal. I stayed here 2 nights and only tried breakfast once and wasn't impressed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Valentine1963
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Arrived at President and found room on second floor. Warm day but apparently no air conditioning and bathroom smelled of a combination of cheap aftershave and cigarette smoke.

Room............ large for London budget hotel . Bed comfortable.

Breakfast was disappointing. Mushy toast and lukewarm tea.

All in all for London it was adequate. No more

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank DuncanEWoking
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions, the latest being November 2013, as part of the hotel and rail deal with Superbreak. While it may not be appealing from the outside the rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and the breakfast is delicious. You get what you pay for with London hotels so I feel that some of the reviews are unfair, this is a perfectly good hotel and the service is outstanding for the price you pay. Unless you plan on spending a huge amount of time in the room, which is highly unlikely on a trip to London, this hotel provides a great base to explore the city. The hotel is a stones throw from the Russell Square tube station and walking distance from Covent Garden. A fantastic hotel for a short break.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank danielle12368
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for three nights . Has my wife is disabled we had a disabled room witch had a walk in shower . We found the staff very helpful the hotel is close to Euston station and Russell Square. The hotel is connected to the hotel next door . The breakfast was first class there was plenty of choice . There are three bars . We will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reg R
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Don't be put off by the outside, the hotel is a little dated but clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly.
We had a room.an the 6th floor, it was small but it was big enough for a 2 night stay in london. The room had good blackout curtains and the bed was comfortable.
The breakfast was good enough to start the day and a decent choice. There was no rush at breakfast.
All in all.it was very present and I will stay here again next year.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Janbrown037
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

When i saw the outside my heart sank to my boots it looked like something from eastern block in the 50s. However once in reception it was like another world. The staff were really friendly and helpful and on our first night we were given complimentary 3 course meal!. The room was very small and had a tiny wardrobe with now where to hang our coats. Having said that i would go back .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends