“Good stay”

Ranked #516 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Durham
“Good stay”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as part of a stay and rail 2 night break for July.

Great location.. Only one stop on Piccadilly line from kings cross and then literally a 2 minute walk from the tube!

The hotel looks abit outdated from the outside but once we entered the lobby area it was lovely! Staff on reception were very friendly and as we arrived earlier than check in we asked to store our bags somewhere and would come back at 2pm- however - they checked us straight in and said our room was available.. Which was a bonus at 2 hours early!

Our room was great - small - but recently refurbished and very clean.

The hotel is currently undergoing renovation and on our stay they were renovating floor 3 but we were on floor 6 so never heard / saw any workmen once.

Hotel is excellent location and great value for money!! Convent garden was only a 20 minute walk away if you didn't want to use the tube quite a nice walk on a sunny day.

The dining area was huge with plenty of space and recently refurbished. Breakfast was okay - not the best. There are plenty of places to eat near by if wanted to head out for a better breakfast.

On the morning we were leaving I accidentally left one of the room cards in our room and only realised when getting ready to check out. We were running late for our train and the receptionist said it would be fine to just leave it up there, one of the staff would call up and get it to ensure we didn't miss our train which I thought was great customer service for a budget hotel.

Would definitely return and would recommend it to anyone wanting a short break in London.

I would email before your stay like we did and ask for a refurbished room.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank michaela B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is kind of a tough hotel to rate properly. When researching my trip to London, I considered a number of different (budget) hotels and was almost scared away from President Hotel by the awful reviews here on Tripadvisor. In the end, being frugal won out and I booked a week at the hotel as part of a package deal from British Airways. Overall, I thought my room was adequate, the location was great, but the rest of the experience just okay. As has been mentioned, you can only catch a wifi signal in the lobby or perhaps by your window if you're in a lower-floor room. The breakfast is not very impressive unless you pay extra for room service. I did eat in the bar on the night I arrived and thought it was pretty good but nothing to really rave about. I guess, to sum up my review, I'd say I had a "good" experience there. Not great, not awful, just good. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again but I'd certainly consider it if I came across another deal. It's a decent hotel which, when paired with a good price and it's good location, makes for a decent value. (Trip was May 2013)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TwoWeeks
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Don't get me wrong, this is a 3* hotel. But it's a very nice 3* hotel.
The outside of the building is tired and the foyer has seen better days. However, the rooms are clean and spacious, the bed is extremely comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful, there are in room tea/coffee making facilities, a nice breakfast, and a great location for getting around London.

Down sides - no in room Wi-Fi, but free Wi-Fi in lounge downstairs. No in room iron, but ironing facilities are available on the first floor.

Overall I cannot fault this hotel's value for money. It's not fancy but it's clean, comfortable and affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Tashdevil
Solihull
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here for one night, it was booked through Superbreak. I had travelled to London with 2 friends; we each had a single room. I stayed on the 7th Floor, room was clean, shower was good and bed comfortable. The communal lounge/bar areas were spacious with comfortable seating. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. If I had a complaint it would be that The Restaurant area at breakfast was a little too tightly packed with tables and chairs, so there was a bit of ‘squeezing past’ to get to our table, but not a major problem. The location makes this hotel a good base for London sightseeing, and for the money I paid it’s hard to fault.

Room Tip: 7th Floor was fine
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank strawfoot
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights with breakfast on 6th floor ,room was small but comfy/clean and had been recently refurbished,all staff were very helpfull and polite,breakfast was self service with reasonable choice,only comment was the toast and the bacon could do with browning a bit more!
Will go back there and recommend to others ,good value with Super Break including the train fare...and its central for all the sights,bus stops outside hotel and tube just round the corner..What more could you want .

Room Tip: Room above the entrance,on side street was very quiet, no traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NIVRAMB
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight for a visit to Harry potter studios and a day shopping in London. Was on the highest floor and had to use a slow service elevator separate from the rest of the hotel but room seemed newly renovated. Was very small but we didn't mind. Nice comfortable bed, clean room and nice bathroom perfect for an overnight stay. Hotel was perfectly located a 1 min walk from the tube but on a quiet square so no disturbance. Breakfast was included but we chose to eat out to make the most of our trip so can't comment.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Leisha93
Gibraltar, null, Gibraltar
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Although it was situated in a convenient place, the corridors and rooms are in need of a complete over hall. When we went for breakfast we were greeted by the person in charge of the breakfast sitting and immediately offered an upgrade paying an extra £10 from continental to English breakfast which we refused. We were sent to the end of the room were we only had the choice of two different cereals and toasts which were already on a counter under an electric overhead heater to keep them warm. The heater never worked and toasts were slightly warm and dehydrated. On a plate at each table there was only butter and jam and nothing else to choose from. The toast tasted of raw dough and the coffee was served slightly warm. I called the waiter who insisted that the coffee was hot. There was only cold milk for the tea or coffee.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Mesod B

Travellers are raving about these London hotels