“a tired 'Butlins'” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of President Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
President Hotel
Ranked #518 of 1,086 Hotels in London
London
“a tired 'Butlins'”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Affordability was a feature of selecting this hotel. The front facade very much depicts the interior - a rather tired and worn hotel including our room and its contents. The shower head was faulty and resembled a hose rather than shower experience. Breakfast was OK but very basic and mass produced - clearing of tables consisted of flipping over the table-cloth from previous patrons. If you want to be within a nice distance for walking into Covent Garden and theatreland then the location of the hotel is good. Rooms have old metal-framed windows - in summer a choice of being too hot or having broken sleep from traffic noise and nightime revellers is presented.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
East Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed here a year ago and rebooked this year due to the location, value for money and our previous good experience.

I am pleased to say the hotel still offers excellent value for money and has undergone considerable updating since our previous visit. The exterior of the building still looks rather tired but likely is part of the reason why the prices are so reasonable, The hotel is undergoing updating and our room was one of those that has been refurbished and was very nice albeit a little small as is often the case in London. The lounge area is very spacious and we were pleased to find the drinks prices were still very reasonable by London standards.

The restaurant where breakfast is served has much improved since our last visit although the new system of coffee/tea being served at the table rather than self service as last year meant getting a coffee was rather a rather hit and miss affair depending on where you were seated, much prefered the old system.

WiFi coverage in the hotel is very patchy and could do with improvement, couldn't get access in the lounge area which was a shame except at one end where you can log onto Barclays free wifi.

This hotel seems to get very mixed reviews but in my opinion considering it is a 3* London hotel, not a 5* establishment, in a good location close to the West End and Oxford Street, has clean rooms and friendly staff all at budget prices it is easy to forgive the little things which could be better. We will certainly stay here again when in London.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graham H
Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as part of a stay and rail 2 night break for July.

Great location.. Only one stop on Piccadilly line from kings cross and then literally a 2 minute walk from the tube!

The hotel looks abit outdated from the outside but once we entered the lobby area it was lovely! Staff on reception were very friendly and as we arrived earlier than check in we asked to store our bags somewhere and would come back at 2pm- however - they checked us straight in and said our room was available.. Which was a bonus at 2 hours early!

Our room was great - small - but recently refurbished and very clean.

The hotel is currently undergoing renovation and on our stay they were renovating floor 3 but we were on floor 6 so never heard / saw any workmen once.

Hotel is excellent location and great value for money!! Convent garden was only a 20 minute walk away if you didn't want to use the tube quite a nice walk on a sunny day.

The dining area was huge with plenty of space and recently refurbished. Breakfast was okay - not the best. There are plenty of places to eat near by if wanted to head out for a better breakfast.

On the morning we were leaving I accidentally left one of the room cards in our room and only realised when getting ready to check out. We were running late for our train and the receptionist said it would be fine to just leave it up there, one of the staff would call up and get it to ensure we didn't miss our train which I thought was great customer service for a budget hotel.

Would definitely return and would recommend it to anyone wanting a short break in London.

I would email before your stay like we did and ask for a refurbished room.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank michaela B
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is kind of a tough hotel to rate properly. When researching my trip to London, I considered a number of different (budget) hotels and was almost scared away from President Hotel by the awful reviews here on Tripadvisor. In the end, being frugal won out and I booked a week at the hotel as part of a package deal from British Airways. Overall, I thought my room was adequate, the location was great, but the rest of the experience just okay. As has been mentioned, you can only catch a wifi signal in the lobby or perhaps by your window if you're in a lower-floor room. The breakfast is not very impressive unless you pay extra for room service. I did eat in the bar on the night I arrived and thought it was pretty good but nothing to really rave about. I guess, to sum up my review, I'd say I had a "good" experience there. Not great, not awful, just good. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again but I'd certainly consider it if I came across another deal. It's a decent hotel which, when paired with a good price and it's good location, makes for a decent value. (Trip was May 2013)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TwoWeeks
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Don't get me wrong, this is a 3* hotel. But it's a very nice 3* hotel.
The outside of the building is tired and the foyer has seen better days. However, the rooms are clean and spacious, the bed is extremely comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful, there are in room tea/coffee making facilities, a nice breakfast, and a great location for getting around London.

Down sides - no in room Wi-Fi, but free Wi-Fi in lounge downstairs. No in room iron, but ironing facilities are available on the first floor.

Overall I cannot fault this hotel's value for money. It's not fancy but it's clean, comfortable and affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Tashdevil
Solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here for one night, it was booked through Superbreak. I had travelled to London with 2 friends; we each had a single room. I stayed on the 7th Floor, room was clean, shower was good and bed comfortable. The communal lounge/bar areas were spacious with comfortable seating. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. If I had a complaint it would be that The Restaurant area at breakfast was a little too tightly packed with tables and chairs, so there was a bit of ‘squeezing past’ to get to our table, but not a major problem. The location makes this hotel a good base for London sightseeing, and for the money I paid it’s hard to fault.

Room Tip: 7th Floor was fine
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank strawfoot
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights with breakfast on 6th floor ,room was small but comfy/clean and had been recently refurbished,all staff were very helpfull and polite,breakfast was self service with reasonable choice,only comment was the toast and the bacon could do with browning a bit more!
Will go back there and recommend to others ,good value with Super Break including the train fare...and its central for all the sights,bus stops outside hotel and tube just round the corner..What more could you want .

Room Tip: Room above the entrance,on side street was very quiet, no traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple