“Great for the Transportation Nerd” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #151 of 1,568 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This museum whisks you on a journey of London's transportation system since 1800, through fascinating and colorful displays, bus and tube simulators and many family-friendly interactive games and activities.
New Westminster, Canada
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great for the Transportation Nerd”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is a great museum for anyone who is interested in transportation and its evolution, specifically in London!

The museum has everything one would expect, from full size old Underground trains to full size buses. There is also lots of information panels and interactive exhibits. The only challenge is that there are often many young children running about so if you really want to immerse yourself with the exhibits you may want to go during they weekdays.

They also have quite the gift shop where you could find anything transportation related.

• Arabic first
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Lost in time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I visited on a Friday afternoon and used a Virgin trains 2 for 1 voucher. I left utterly glad that used it.

I last visited this place around 30 years ago and marvelled at the displays. This time I left wondering whether it was the museum or whether it was just me that was the source of my disappointment.

Yes it's clean and there are lot's of buses and some interactive exhibits but I found it very boring. For kids getting up close is probably enough but I felt a little cheated.

Back in the early 80's you could sit and pretend you were driving a tube train with a screen showing a tunnel in front of you. At least they still let you go and sit on the drivers seat of a generic bus.

I saw very little to do with the tube to be honest which is the heartbeat of London. I either missed it or it wasn't there. Either way it's not good enough.

This is the 21st century but this place is lagging behind. Won't be back I'm sad to say. Childhood memories shattered.

Manchester, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Too expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Although interesting and informative I was disappointed. The museum is only small and in my opinion does not warrant the high price of entry. I was there an hour and I had done it. The only consolation is the entry fee gives me year long entry. But I do not think I will be availing myself of this option. the best part was sitting in a tube carriage watching a Vidio of people. getting on and off the tube, down the ages.

1 Thank Pearl M
Australia
554 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 336 helpful votes
“What a fascinating museum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I had not been here before and thought it was wonderful being able to see so many different types of trains, buses, taxis, carriages etc. that have been used in London. I was surprised to learn that the first underground used a steam locomotive and there was one plus a carriage on display. Everything on display has been immaculately restored and there is plenty of information about the exhibits. Of course there are the famous Routemaster buses which were sadly forced off the road by EEC regulations although you can still see the occasional 'heritage' one operating in the Strand. They even show the old bus uniforms and an example of a bus canteen meal - just like in the TV series 'On the Buses' . There is also plenty of interesting things and activities for children.

Visited April 2014
Bradford, United Kingdom
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We enjoyed this museum on a recent visit to London, and we were inside for a good few hours. It's easy to find and right in the heart of Theatre-land. Thankfully, we had a 2 for 1 voucher as we had travelled by train and came prepared with a selection of vouchers. Without it, this would have been way to expensive! Yes, it was interesting but I still can't see where the entry fee of £15 per person has gone. Some of the dummies on display must have been older than me, which gave those sections of the museum a really dated and quite tacky feel. If you must use dummies, get some new ones! I really liked being in the old Flower Market building and thought it was good that there was a small section on it in the museum. A route would have been useful as at certain points I was just wondering from one display to the next, unable to find any kind of logical order. You can go aboard some of the vehicles and all the children I saw were really enjoying the old buses, but you can see old buses for free where I live (Bradford Industrial Museum) so the entry fee seems obscene to me, although I didn't expect it to be free in London, but I didn't expect to be paying more than £10 each. On a rainy day it passes the time well, and the displays are good, and I'm sorry to mention it yet again but for £15 each I expected much more. It was an enjoyable few hours, and I wouldn't mind going back again in a few years to see if it's changed but I honestly can't get over the price for an attraction that you will be in for three hours at the absolute most. It's an annual ticket, but I'm unlikely to go back within the year unless it changes dramatically because I've been, and read everything that there was to read. My husband might return, as he is more into this kind of thing than I am, and perhaps someone with an interest in vehicles would see more value in the annual ticket than I did.

Visited March 2014