“where are the Bathroom?”
Review of Curzon House Hotel

Curzon House Hotel
Ranked #481 of 846 Speciality Lodging in London
Paris, France
“where are the Bathroom?”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It was a big surprise when I discovered that they were no bathroom in the room. Otherwise, Bed was comfortable and room quiet. Personnel was welcoming. Hotel close to the train station with all trains.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank Geoffroy F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Pros:
It is not a 5 star hotel.But this hotel is great value for money. Still in first tube zone, but in a quiet district. By the way this district was awesome, very wealthy, really smart choice. 10 minutes walk from hydepark, 30 minutes from Buckingham Palace. Well equipped kitchen.
Cons:
Poor breakfast, only a toast and jam. At night kitchen was closed, i really dont know why.
I had to tighten screws in the lock. Rare hot water in shower. No lift.
Conclusion:
For 3 night we paid almost 200 pounds for 2 people. If i go to London next time, i chose this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Luk_P2013
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have stayed at Curzon house three times. Twice in 2001, during my first trip home to England. I found the place online and booked an accommodation. I stayed in a room that was set up for 4 people but transferred to a different room which was on ground floor after the first night. The hotel was spare on resources and run by a group of kids lived next door in a flat owned by the owner of the Curzon house. They were all friendly though a bit toward unprofessional. Breakfast constituted corn flakes and milk or toast which you made for yourself. The kitchen was available if you wanted to cook for yourself too. There's a TV/entertainment room in the basement adjacent to the dining room. It's supposed to be closed at 10pm but often runs all night. Staying on first floor and in the rooms in the basement puts you close to this so be warned to bring ear plugs if you're near the TV room.

The price of accommodations at this place are the lowest you're going to find in most of London, but don't expect any frills. I read a review where someone complained that there was no porter. Curzon House was once a youth hostel and has maintained an operating dynamic close to that premise. It is cheap, friendly and easy to get to. It's three whole blocks off Gloucester Road Tube station. It's directly accessible from Heathrow through Piccadilly line.

It is not for those people who expect luxury accommodations. It is for people on a budget. You will get out of Curzon what you put into it. It is, however quiet, friendly, easy to get to and away from. There is a Sansbury much like Safeway about two blocks from the hotel that is great if you are eating on a budget. Remember trollies or shopping carts in England unlock all four wheels and can drive you spare if you're not paying attention.

Also a point of consideration, Curzon house is a dormer hotel which means you share a room with several strangers and your bathroom might be out in the hallway. I experienced something similar to this in San Francisco off Larkin street at the Larkin Street Hotel.

Personally I enjoyed Curzon House Hotel and made a point of visiting it again last year when I came back from France before returning to America. Please bare in mind my experience with this hotel spans a decade. The hotel is now slightly higher in services and price than when I first went but otherwise remains much the same. I didn't expect luxury accommodations I expected to find a place that would keep me warm and dry at night while I explored London and the countryside. If you want luxury I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: BE WARNED, there are no lifts in the building and their are five floors above ground as well as one...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Patrick_W001
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

On arrival we we found the receptionist very charming and helpful, the hotel itself is very much in need of an up date, the entrance is very dated and untidy, refurbishments were taking place while we were staying, this did not cause us any inconvienience but had to step over the workmens tools and packs of wall tiles were stacked up in the entrance which really shouldnt have been there, the room was very old fashioned but the bathroom was beautiful, these were clearly part of the hotels refurb, which is long overdue, had a nice stay, comfy bed , good breakfast, polite and friendly staff, and cheap. All in all a very very basic hotel, would stay again

• Stayed July 2013
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

***WORSE HOTEL IN HISTORY***

There is no porter on site, the staff don't even stay on the premises soon as the reception is closed, in a emergency you had to ring a mobile number!

This hotel (the word hotel there is over used for this place) I think a tramp can live in better conditions. This place should NOT be open. All visitors need to keep away.

We were in the basement room, we had no sleep whatsoever as a couple of guests decided they wanted to stay in the sitting area for all guests till 4am talking really loudly/screaming/laughing! We then couldn't sleep because of the live cockroach roaming about (pictures to prove) And this is the area where you would eat your breakfast in the mornings!!!
Instead of replacing the broken blind, they have put scrunched up napkin paper to fill in the gap. A very dangerous open end cable tied up on ceiling of bathroom.
All walls damp and mouldy. The beds need to be tipped away, the springs are non-existent, full of bed bugs as my friends back is covered in bite marks. Refused to sleep with there duvets as they smelt dirty (dark patterned 80's duvet covers, cover up all multiple of sins) so we suffered being cold with just the one white sheet.

We stayed because we had no where else to go, my friend was heavily pregnant and we wanted to sleep! To which we didn't even get. We left the hotel at 6:30am as couldn't stand it much longer.

Something better will come up, be patient and save your money.

Room Tip: Save your money and go else where. Wish I booked into a hostel as they looked a lot cleaner.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank TL C

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed here for one evening when having a night out in South Kensington. Although the location is great, the hotel itself is shocking and probably the worst place I have ever stayed. It was like a hostel or children's home. Scruffy, worn, smelly, outdated and generally very very unpleasant. My husband wanted to sleep in his clothes it was so bad. Check out was at 10am on a Sunday which was pretty inconvenient, however we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fern_Blue_Lady
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My room was for one person but contained 4 beds. It was large and cold. The receptionist when I checked in told me to leave the portable heating on all day even when I was out the room so it would heat up the room. The second day of my stay i at least had a warmish room, however whenever I left the heating on afterwards the cleaner turned it off and I would return to a freezing room again. Despite asking the eastern european cleaner, who spoke no english, to keep it on I returned each day to it switched off. The room wasn't the cleanest but the bed was comfortable. The breakfast room was small and cluttered and the choice not the greatest but for the price in London I have had worse.

Room Tip: make sure you ar not in the basement
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo