All reviewsbayswater underground stationyogurtportobello roadnotting hillcontinental breakfasthyde parkrestaurants and barskensington gardenstriple roombasic hotelquiet locationtea and coffeeminute walkwould definitely stay here againcouple of nightsfamily roomluggage
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Just spent 3 nights at the Garden Court Hotel and are very pleased. The room was small but clean, the bed comfortable and the breakfast fine. You can order a cooked breakfast for a small fee if you like. Love the location, close to both Bayswater and Queensway underground. A shoppingmall, Whitleys, nearby and Boots are open until midnight. On Queensway you will find the Chinese restaurant The Four Season, worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IngridSweden
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night in May 2012 and it brought back memories of how terrible English hotels can be at their worst.

First, the location was brilliant: a 5 minute walk to Bayswater tube, and plenty of food options, pubs etc along the way. We walked from the hotel through Hyde Park to Knightbridge, and on the the main sights of London. A long walk, but very doable from the hotel.

The checkin experience was great - in fact all our dealings with the front desk were excellent - they were eager to please and very helpful when we asked typical tourist questions. The lobby area was nicely presented with some quite cute lifesize bears dressed in Beefeater and Grenadier Guard outfits. So far so good.

We get to our room in a tiny lift and yes, our room was slap bang next to the lift. Since it was just one night's stay we didn't bother to make a fuss and try for a different room. The room was pretty tiny - very firm double bed (we are used to king sized beds as standard so I guess we're spoiled). The room smelled of stale smoke. There was one window, with a grubby net curtain - I opened the curtain, pulled up the ancient sash window and the outlook was pleasant enough: backing onto other residences of a similar age. The window did have a brass 'lock' fitted but was impossible to engage.

Downsides for the room:

- window that could not be locked and rattled all night long with the moderate wind outside
- no bin
- no safe
- no phone
- no fridge
- musty cigarette smells
- dusty
- WC lid not properly attached
- old, faded and slightly smelly comforter on the bed
- no aircon (but there was a fan)
- no bedside lights: instead there were 2 bare halogen lamps pointing down from a wall mounted light fitting; only one was working
- lift noise
- noise of other guests moving around - none were unreasonably noisy but the constant squeaking of the floors above was hard to ignore

After a pretty terribly night's sleep we went down for breakfast - we had been told it closed at 9:30am so were were there around 9:20. We saw that a continental breakfast was included, but we could add eggs and bacon for an additional fee. We asked for this but the 3 babooshkas sitting on their backsides in the kitchen told me this was impossible since last orders for bacon closed at 9:15am.

So anyway, we checked out, the front desk lady was very nice about directions and leaving our bags there for the day.

All this would have been fine if it has been reasonably priced - but the bill 135 British Pounds ! To put that into perspective that would have paid for a luxurious 4 or 5 star hotel in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney, or Barcelona. Might have been market rate for London but we felt extremely ripped off.

Not recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dbenne22
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My wife and I have just got back from a two night stay at the Gardens Court hotel and had a great weekend.
We were welcomed by the very polite, friendly receptionist who made us feel at home and allowed us into our room well before the check-in time. The hotel is in a lovely area, about 5 minutes walk from Bayswater tube station, just off bustling Queensway and quite safe at night. Breakfast is a mixture of cerial, toast, fruit and yoghurts although you can get bacon and eggs if requested for a small extra fee.

We were also grateful for the comfortable and quiet night's sleep as the hotel is in a little gardened square away from any passing traffic. Rooms were nice and cosy – in need of a little refurb here and there but otherwise fine. We would definitely stay again and thoroughly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel and was very quiet. If you don't like walking up lots of stairs, avoid the top floor as it is quite a climb.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walkleytravellers
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here on my own for what was meant to be 2 nights but turned into 4 after I came down with a cold and had to change my plans to rest up. I was given the single room on the first floor - no ensuite but situated right next to a bathroom so that was quite handy. The room was tiny and out dated (a desk but no chair) but clean and warm and had a tv and a sink. Only one thin skimpy pillow though which seemed a bit tight. I guess by london standards it wasn't bad value. The bathroom however showed signs of damp and the plug hole in the shower blocked, meaning i was standing in a soup of murky water every time I had a shower. Yuck. Breakfast, basic and (two bits of cheap toast and a coffee) and very silent. The area is very touristy and there's a dodgy hostel a few doors up with unsavoury characters lurking around, though that's not the hotel's fault. Overall - basic, outdated but okay for a night or two in London town. With a few tweaks it could be a (literally) little gem but as it is it seems it's resting on its laurels.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Little_red_courgette
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay on my way to Heathrow. It's small, quiet, very clean and in a convenient location (near Paddington station). I wouldn't want to be there for any length of time on holiday, but for a short city stay, it's perfect considering the price. My only gripes would be that the hot water in the tea & coffee room was never hot (perhaps they could invest in a proper urn). Secondly, I was leaving quite early for my journey to the airport so asked what they could do for breakfast. I mentioned I'd be very happy if they could just leave a bowl of cereal and some milk out. Instead I was given a small tray with 4(!) yoghurts, 8 mini blocks of cheese, 2 bananas, 1 apple and a selection of jams. No bread though, and no cereal which was perhaps the only thing I'd really wanted. Apart from these minor niggles the place was faultless.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo