“Room for improvement!”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #598 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 April 2013

One of the many similar hotels we have stayed in, in London. But this one has to be on the lower end of what we're used to.

Check in was easy, staff very polite and the reception area very welcoming. However our room was tiny, so small in fact that we were joking about the fact they had a desk but you had to sit on the end of the bed to use it as there was no space for a chair.

The bathroom was half finished with bare plasterboard on show, and was super small too.

Breakfast was served I believe from 7.15 to 9.30am on a sunday. Being our only day to lay in usually, I think 9.30am is very early to finish breakfast on a Thursday.

There were some good things, the bed was super comfy and we both slept very well, and our friends who also stayed in the hotel seemed to get a much bigger room than ours, so perhaps we were just unlucky.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erooney23
CumberlandHarrow, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel, whilst I'm glad to read that you found our staff polite and our reception area pleasant, I can appreciate some areas of your stay were not your satisfaction.
Due to the hotel being a classic 19th century Victorian building some of the rooms, as you will find in a lot of centrally located London hotels, can be on the smaller side, and while some of our guests find this characteristic particularly charming I understand that it does not suit all tastes.
When we purchased the hotel in October 2012 it was in need of refurbishment. We made that our priority and began an extensive refurbishment program which has transformed many areas of the hotel. This program is still on-going and I apologise that, when you stayed, we had not yet reached your bedroom.
We would love to have you back again in the near future and show you all the changes we have made to the property. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Warm regards,
Vince Polo

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for two nights in February 2013 and enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

The Hotel looks lovely as you enter, with a wonderfully open Reception area. There's a lift to take you to your rooms (floors from 0-5), which is useful as not every Hotel in London has one! Makes luggage an easy task!

My room was a Double Room with Ensuite, and was given as an upgrade to the Single room, shared facilities I booked. Lovely! It was very warm. although that's my own fault as I turned the radiator up before I slept, my error!

Breakfast was adequate, too. Toast, and Tea, with cereals, milk, juices, yogurts, and cheese on offer.

Clean, and comfy, and a lovely place to stay if visiting London. 5 minute walk from Bayswater Tube station, with direct access to the city via the Circle line.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank T B

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am delighted that you enjoyed both the hotel and our location and look forward to your next visit!
Thanks again!
Vince Polo

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I booked two nights in a single en-suite room on a special offer (£40/night), which was very good value for central London. The room (No. 3) was quite small, however, everything was clean, tidy and in working order. I was a bit worried that it would be noisy, as the room was in between floors, on the landing of the main stairway, but I needn't have worried; it was very quiet.

Note that the shower has extremely high pressure (unusual for England!) so it takes a little fiddling to get the heat/pressure right at first. A decent continental breakfast (cereal, toast, yoghurt) is included in the room price, and you can choose to pay extra for bacon & eggs.

The location is great for exploring London: a short walk from either Bayswater (on Circle/District lines) or Queensway (Central line) tube stations. You can easily walk to Portobello Road, and nearby streets have a decent choice of restaurants and shops.

Staff were helpful and professional.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank anglabarn
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

Small nice hotel, excelent location, good breakfast, i can recomend it. Hotel is near Nothing Hill Gate, it is realy only a few stations from city center. Near hotel are good shops and Marks and Spencer, you can buy cheap food. But hotel dont have a kitchen for guests, you cant heat your own food.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Booked this hotel for three nights in early December and were given room 207. Up two flights on the lift to the room to find a double bed with the most unbelievably tapped out mattress on this side of the galaxy. Truly dreadful and not outdone by many a nasty third world bed from my backpacking days. We attempted to switch rooms but to no avail - the inn was full. Next morning we again tried to move rooms and were finally allowed to see a room being vacated which had a decent mattress. "We will take it" we said and moved our luggage to the lobby for the day. We arrived back to find a different girl at the desk and no room. After some heated discussion a room magically appeared which was, I must admit, perfectly adequate. From that moment on things went very nicely. Decent breakfast. Quiet on the garden side of the hotel. Convenient location to local shops, restaurants and the tube.
Given two of our three nights I would rate this hotel quite well considering it's price bracket. But room 207 is unforgivable in my opinion. Having a room, or rooms, like this is tantamount to playing a lottery with someones holiday. "Oh bummer! You got the crap room. Better luck next time!" Shame!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank davex25
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This hotel’s location is pretty good. It only takes about 5-7 mins walk to Bayswater and Queensway stations of Central line (red) and Circle line (yellow). You can reach most sightseeing sites in zone 1 for £2 (one-way) by using an Oyster card. For some nearby museums, like V&A, Natural History and Science, if you have time, they can also be reached by walking/cutting across the Hyde Park, which is really a dogs' heaven! Just be sure to check when the park will be closed though.

The hotel staffs are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast (in basement) quality has been consistently decent. Some people are complaining about tiring fixtures and squeaky floor. But even the floor in the National Gallery can not be totally squeaky free. The only reason why I will only give it a 3.7 rating instead of a full 4.0 is the small room size. Regardless how many times I have come across this topic, I found I was still mentally underprepared. But after a few days, I have already self-adjusted enough to find the room rather quite cozy. Plus, I spent most of time in sightseeing, so I don’t find the room size is really that a big deal. I also already memorized a few “hot” (squeaky) spots on floor which I would walk around : – ).

The room we stayed does not have a tea kettle. There’s one in the room on the 1st floor where a computer with internet access is located. However, if you do want to have instant hot water supply in your own room, then you can consider buying one (220v with correct plug type) from a few household goods stores on the Bishop’s Bridge road for about £26.

Overall, this hotel offers excellent values backed by their friendly staffs at a good location.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank blackblackterrier
Reviewed 26 September 2012

the location near Nottinghill is great, close to two tube stations and safe at night. It is really a lovely neighborhood and I enjoyed more of a "real" neighborhood away from vasts amounts of tourists. I had a twin room with private bath, and the hotel was very nice in giving me basically a free upgrade. The rooms are very simple, and quite small, but this is what I expect in London for a low price. Everything however is spotless clean and totally attended to. My only criticism is that the switchboard is off past a certain time so I could not receive phone calls to my room. The only other criticism is that the computer room is locked after about 11pm so I could only check email if I got back early. However, there is free wi-fi in the building and that is great. Breakfast is fine, nice to not leave being hungry. This a very nice hotel, good value, and I do recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family