“Enjoyable say spoiled”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #601 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night only in May 2013 with friends. As we were a rather large group and rooms were at a premium I shared with a friend.
We arrived very early but the hotel was kind enough to let us leave our luggage in the reception until later that day.
Upon our return we all booked into our rooms and all was pleasant enough.
The down side to my review starts as follows:
The person I was sharing my room with decided to retire for the night quite early and we arranged for him to take the room key back down to reception.
Upon my arrival back at the hotel later that evening (morning actually!) I was told by the gentleman on the reception that the key had not been brought back to reception. The only thing to do was to phone the room to wake up my friend and get him to open the door.
My friend was upset at being woken up and insisted he had taken the key back to the gentleman on reception. I went back down to try to get to the bottom of this because I did not want any confrontation with regards to 'lost' keys during the morning check-out.
After at least 20 minutes of my insisting my friend must be telling the truth the key was eventually found in what appeared to be an old pile of keys in a drawer. No apology was forthcoming.
The next morning my friend informed me that prior to my returning to the room, a complete stranger had been given the keys to our room and had entered the room as my friend was asleep. The stranger apologised and said he must have been given the wrong key!
My enjoyment of the stay wasn't a complete disaster apart from the 20 minutes arguing but my friend was well and truly fed up with his experience.
On this occassion I do not feel I could recommend the hotel.
The ratings below are based on his experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Durnin1005
CumberlandHarrow, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and though it seems that you thought highly of the hotel and it's location it was spoilt due to issues with your room key.
Firstly let me apologise for what you experienced, I take the security of our hotel guests very seriously and am shocked to hear about this. This is the first I have heard of this and I would very much like to look into this matter to ensure that this does not happen again.
I hope you can find the time to email me directly at vpolo@cumberlandhotel.co.uk so I can further investigate this.
I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and if you do decide to give us another chance I would take pleasure in personally handling your reservation.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2013

stayed in fifth floor triple room ensuite-clean and comfortable-good breakfast-good value

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your positive review though I think you may have accidentally hit copy and paste! Again thank you for staying with us and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2013

One of the many similar hotels we have stayed in, in London. But this one has to be on the lower end of what we're used to.

Check in was easy, staff very polite and the reception area very welcoming. However our room was tiny, so small in fact that we were joking about the fact they had a desk but you had to sit on the end of the bed to use it as there was no space for a chair.

The bathroom was half finished with bare plasterboard on show, and was super small too.

Breakfast was served I believe from 7.15 to 9.30am on a sunday. Being our only day to lay in usually, I think 9.30am is very early to finish breakfast on a Thursday.

There were some good things, the bed was super comfy and we both slept very well, and our friends who also stayed in the hotel seemed to get a much bigger room than ours, so perhaps we were just unlucky.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erooney23
CumberlandHarrow, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel, whilst I'm glad to read that you found our staff polite and our reception area pleasant, I can appreciate some areas of your stay were not your satisfaction.
Due to the hotel being a classic 19th century Victorian building some of the rooms, as you will find in a lot of centrally located London hotels, can be on the smaller side, and while some of our guests find this characteristic particularly charming I understand that it does not suit all tastes.
When we purchased the hotel in October 2012 it was in need of refurbishment. We made that our priority and began an extensive refurbishment program which has transformed many areas of the hotel. This program is still on-going and I apologise that, when you stayed, we had not yet reached your bedroom.
We would love to have you back again in the near future and show you all the changes we have made to the property. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stayed here for two nights in February 2013 and enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

The Hotel looks lovely as you enter, with a wonderfully open Reception area. There's a lift to take you to your rooms (floors from 0-5), which is useful as not every Hotel in London has one! Makes luggage an easy task!

My room was a Double Room with Ensuite, and was given as an upgrade to the Single room, shared facilities I booked. Lovely! It was very warm. although that's my own fault as I turned the radiator up before I slept, my error!

Breakfast was adequate, too. Toast, and Tea, with cereals, milk, juices, yogurts, and cheese on offer.

Clean, and comfy, and a lovely place to stay if visiting London. 5 minute walk from Bayswater Tube station, with direct access to the city via the Circle line.

Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank T B

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am delighted that you enjoyed both the hotel and our location and look forward to your next visit!
Thanks again!

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I booked two nights in a single en-suite room on a special offer (£40/night), which was very good value for central London. The room (No. 3) was quite small, however, everything was clean, tidy and in working order. I was a bit worried that it would be noisy, as the room was in between floors, on the landing of the main stairway, but I needn't have worried; it was very quiet.

Note that the shower has extremely high pressure (unusual for England!) so it takes a little fiddling to get the heat/pressure right at first. A decent continental breakfast (cereal, toast, yoghurt) is included in the room price, and you can choose to pay extra for bacon & eggs.

The location is great for exploring London: a short walk from either Bayswater (on Circle/District lines) or Queensway (Central line) tube stations. You can easily walk to Portobello Road, and nearby streets have a decent choice of restaurants and shops.

Staff were helpful and professional.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank anglabarn
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

Small nice hotel, excelent location, good breakfast, i can recomend it. Hotel is near Nothing Hill Gate, it is realy only a few stations from city center. Near hotel are good shops and Marks and Spencer, you can buy cheap food. But hotel dont have a kitchen for guests, you cant heat your own food.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Booked this hotel for three nights in early December and were given room 207. Up two flights on the lift to the room to find a double bed with the most unbelievably tapped out mattress on this side of the galaxy. Truly dreadful and not outdone by many a nasty third world bed from my backpacking days. We attempted to switch rooms but to no avail - the inn was full. Next morning we again tried to move rooms and were finally allowed to see a room being vacated which had a decent mattress. "We will take it" we said and moved our luggage to the lobby for the day. We arrived back to find a different girl at the desk and no room. After some heated discussion a room magically appeared which was, I must admit, perfectly adequate. From that moment on things went very nicely. Decent breakfast. Quiet on the garden side of the hotel. Convenient location to local shops, restaurants and the tube.
Given two of our three nights I would rate this hotel quite well considering it's price bracket. But room 207 is unforgivable in my opinion. Having a room, or rooms, like this is tantamount to playing a lottery with someones holiday. "Oh bummer! You got the crap room. Better luck next time!" Shame!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple