“Excellent value for money”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #598 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We booked this hotel for a cheap, overnight trip to London. We requested a triple room with three single beds, for me, my sister and my 5yr old daughter. We arrived a couple of hours before our check-in time and our room wasn't quite ready but the lovely lady on reception said our luggage could be stored until we returned later that evening. She even gave my sister a hair tie when she couldn't locate her own one in her bag. The room itself was clean and much more spacious than I was expecting after reading some of the reviews. Our room was equipped with a flat screen tv with freeview, a hairdryer, soap and shampoo and a fan, which was a godsend in 30 degree heat. Breakfast was included in the price (£75 for a triple room) and, for the money, it was very nice - offering cereals, toast, yogurt and fruit. Egg and bacon was available for a small charge. The member of staff serving breakfast was very nice, offering my daughter hot chocolate drinks. Again we were able to leave our overnight bag at reception while we had another day in the centre of London. Overall, a fantastic hotel at a great price with helpful staff located just a five minute walk from Bayswater underground station. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am delighted to hear how well the staff looked after you and your family during your stay with us. Customer service is something we pride ourselves on so it is always great to read our guests positive reaction towards our staff.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel was our main base for two prior trips to London, but we won't be coming back after our latest visit. It remains a tidy, quiet place but is no longer competitive with nearby hotels of similar price. A former library and a separate sitting room have now been converted to additional lodging. The effect has been to remove public space amenities and boost congestion. A long wait for the lift, or for breakfast in their now too small breakfast room is standard. We checked out feeling like this was no longer suitable for our needs. We spent our last night in London in a hotel literally across the street that had a spacious, modern, and welcoming lobby, an excellent breakfast buffet, and quiet, comfortable rooms with considerably larger bathrooms. Sorry Garden Court; we're moving on.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter G
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Peter,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. It is true that we no longer have the lounge and coffee areas though this has led to an increase in our bedroom standards and if you were to see these now converted rooms I am sure you would agree.
Normally our breakfast room (which has not been reduced in size) can cope perfectly with the extra footfall. At peak times there could be a small wait though we have never considered it to be an issue as it is very rare. It may have just been one of those days where everyone came down together and even the largest hotels would struggle with that situation.
I do hope you will consider us again as generally I consider us to be one of the best hotels in the area for value, it is true that our prices can vary dependant on occupancy but it also mean that, as you will find in Hoestdog63's review a couple earlier, you can find a bargain here too!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I will have to say my rating for this hotel went all over the map the five days we are in London.
First - the room is basic but nice - don't expect frills, but you shouldn't paying what you are in the middle of London. It was clean, quiet and cool (thanks to an open window). We were on the fourth floor so no street noise at all (even on a noisy Friday night). The shower was adequate although it did have a nasty habit of cycling rapidly between boiling hot and freezing cold, this only led to amusement on our parts - we have a weird sense of humor
Second - the location wasn't great for us - it IS close to hyde park, Kensington palace and the museum district, so if that is what you are in London for it would be fine. However to get to London tower, Westminster, big ben, st. pauls, etc it was about a 40 minute tube ride. This is annoying to say the least. Also the nearest tube stations are a little further away then you might expect.
Third - (and this is what brought the rating from a 3 to a 4) as we were leaving we discovered that I had inadvertently booked an extra night. We were fully expecting to have to pay this. Instead, the management bent over backwards to take that night's charge off for us. REALLY appreciated this!
So overall a really good experience, just wish we could have been a little closer to the main attractions of london

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review, I remember speaking with you on check out, I hope you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh. (I think that's where you were off to, apologies if I'm mistaken!)
Whilst we are not right next to the London Tower and Westminster 40 minutes by tube seems a bit excessive, I hope you went from our closest tube station (Bayswater), the journey should not normally take more than 20 minutes.
I am so happy to hear your appreciation of not being charged for the extra night, we all make mistakes and where possible we try not to penalise our customers. We employ this policy through all our properties and it's nice to hear from someone who found it advantageous.
Again thank you for choosing to stay at the Garden Court Hotel and we hope to welcome you back again.

Kind Regards,

Vince

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I based my review on the cost of hotel based on location and what the experience was like. I needed a cost effective night in central London and did not want to stay at Easy hotels or Travelodge so searched Bookings.com. The Garden Court appeared at £45 for a Sunday night with Breakfast and ensuite. The Garden court is situated in a pleasant London Square of Queensway and Westbourne Terrace. For £45 my single room was not big but single bed, basin and wardrobe and dressing table. The private bathroom was accessed via the bedroom door on the landing and immediately to the left was notice on the door as Private Bathroom for Room 605. Continental breakfast was included, Hot breakfast available at extra cost. I did not have breakfast as it did not start until 7:30. The outside of the hotel was appealing as was the common areas. For £45 this could have been so much worse, I would recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you liked the Bayswater area and found our hotel appealing.
I hope to be able to welcome you again very soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night only in May 2013 with friends. As we were a rather large group and rooms were at a premium I shared with a friend.
We arrived very early but the hotel was kind enough to let us leave our luggage in the reception until later that day.
Upon our return we all booked into our rooms and all was pleasant enough.
The down side to my review starts as follows:
The person I was sharing my room with decided to retire for the night quite early and we arranged for him to take the room key back down to reception.
Upon my arrival back at the hotel later that evening (morning actually!) I was told by the gentleman on the reception that the key had not been brought back to reception. The only thing to do was to phone the room to wake up my friend and get him to open the door.
My friend was upset at being woken up and insisted he had taken the key back to the gentleman on reception. I went back down to try to get to the bottom of this because I did not want any confrontation with regards to 'lost' keys during the morning check-out.
After at least 20 minutes of my insisting my friend must be telling the truth the key was eventually found in what appeared to be an old pile of keys in a drawer. No apology was forthcoming.
The next morning my friend informed me that prior to my returning to the room, a complete stranger had been given the keys to our room and had entered the room as my friend was asleep. The stranger apologised and said he must have been given the wrong key!
My enjoyment of the stay wasn't a complete disaster apart from the 20 minutes arguing but my friend was well and truly fed up with his experience.
On this occassion I do not feel I could recommend the hotel.
The ratings below are based on his experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Durnin1005
CumberlandHarrow, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and though it seems that you thought highly of the hotel and it's location it was spoilt due to issues with your room key.
Firstly let me apologise for what you experienced, I take the security of our hotel guests very seriously and am shocked to hear about this. This is the first I have heard of this and I would very much like to look into this matter to ensure that this does not happen again.
I hope you can find the time to email me directly at vpolo@cumberlandhotel.co.uk so I can further investigate this.
I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and if you do decide to give us another chance I would take pleasure in personally handling your reservation.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2013

stayed in fifth floor triple room ensuite-clean and comfortable-good breakfast-good value

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your positive review though I think you may have accidentally hit copy and paste! Again thank you for staying with us and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 2 April 2013

One of the many similar hotels we have stayed in, in London. But this one has to be on the lower end of what we're used to.

Check in was easy, staff very polite and the reception area very welcoming. However our room was tiny, so small in fact that we were joking about the fact they had a desk but you had to sit on the end of the bed to use it as there was no space for a chair.

The bathroom was half finished with bare plasterboard on show, and was super small too.

Breakfast was served I believe from 7.15 to 9.30am on a sunday. Being our only day to lay in usually, I think 9.30am is very early to finish breakfast on a Thursday.

There were some good things, the bed was super comfy and we both slept very well, and our friends who also stayed in the hotel seemed to get a much bigger room than ours, so perhaps we were just unlucky.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erooney23
CumberlandHarrow, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel, whilst I'm glad to read that you found our staff polite and our reception area pleasant, I can appreciate some areas of your stay were not your satisfaction.
Due to the hotel being a classic 19th century Victorian building some of the rooms, as you will find in a lot of centrally located London hotels, can be on the smaller side, and while some of our guests find this characteristic particularly charming I understand that it does not suit all tastes.
When we purchased the hotel in October 2012 it was in need of refurbishment. We made that our priority and began an extensive refurbishment program which has transformed many areas of the hotel. This program is still on-going and I apologise that, when you stayed, we had not yet reached your bedroom.
We would love to have you back again in the near future and show you all the changes we have made to the property. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Warm regards,