“Good for a budget”

Ranked #634 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Good for a budget”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Clean, friendly, helpful. Got this for a good price and it was fine. Stayed for 5 days on business and apart from slightly small rooms and tiny ensuite it was fine. Free Wi-Fi too.
Has a lift so no need to try and man-handle bags up stair cases.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you Neil for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to see we suited your needs and hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hebrew first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Myself and 2 friends have just spent a night in this hotel. We chose this as one of my friends is disabled and we needed a hotel near to a function we were attending. The outside of the hotel is clean and smart, as is the reception area. Where this hotel comes to its fore is Gloria the wonderful lady at the desk. She was so helpful, beyond the call of duty, She is the most vivacious of ladies and nothing is too much trouble. The quad room was spacious, clean and airy. Beds were reasonably comfy, although when used to sleeping on a memory foam mattress you do a notice a difference. The only minor criticism would be that it would have been nice to have tea/coffee making facilities in the room, but you can make drinks in reception and for the situation, the room was extremely good value for money. We will certainly return if only to see Gloria's smiling face

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for you review of the Garden Court Hotel. I am absolutely delighted to read that you had an excellent stay. I see that Gloria yet again did what she could to ensure your stay was as comfortable as possible. I hope you will choose us again upon your return to the capital!
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a very well located, cheap hotel in London, which is a rare thing to find. Subway is very close by and there are convenience stores, restaurants and bars all around you. Westbourne Groves is one of the loveliest streets in London. The hotel itself is ok, you get what you pay for. No air con, which was a downside in the middle of the heat wave I faced in London, but my room wasn´t particularly hot so it didn´t bother me as much. I stayed in the single room at the top of the stairs so I could hear people coming in and out through the front door, which impacted my sleep since I´m a light sleeper. But my window faced a nice garden and I had no noise coming in from the outside, which I thought was great! The room is a bit too small and I could barely fit my huge suitcase in it, but it suited me well for the 6 nights I spent in London, particularly considering its price x location. Breakfast included is a plus, as is Gloria´s smiling face at the front desk.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to read your positive comments about Gloria and I will pass it on to her. I am also happy to read that you liked our location and our proximity to the restaurants and shops. We hope you come visit us again!
Brookline, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We just stayed 8 nights at the Garden Court Hotel and were very pleased. It is a very nice facility with decent sized rooms for Europe. It is clean and very affordable. They offer a complimentary breakfast of toast, fruit and cereal; and if one wants, you can purchase bacon and eggs. It is close to the intersection of two lines of the Tube (Circle Line and Central Line), making it a great base of operations for getting around the city. A couple of times, my wife and I used the Barclay cycle rentals in nearby Kensington Gardens to ride through green space almost all the way down to Trafalgar Square. On Saturdays, you are only a ten minute walk from the Portobello Market. The area around the hotel does not feel touristy at all (despite the souvenir shops) and gives a good feel of the city with a number of different restaurants including the local “pub grub” and numerous ethnic food options.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit, it's great that you took advantage of the Boris Bikes to cut through one of the many parks in London. We hope to see you again sometime soon!
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My wife and I, along with our two children, 15 and 18, stayed at the Garden Court Hotel for seven days.

I can't imagine a more convenient location for a base to explore London from. You're within a quarter-mile of the Bayswater underground station, and a little further on is the Queensway underground on the central line.

The Garden Court was clean and pleasant. It's a little worn, a 19th century building has a lot of character, but also has a lot of years. You could see many places where finishes were worn and needed to be replaced.

The breakfast included with the room was fine. The staff was friendly, attentive, and there was plenty to eat. The basement breakfast room is nondescript.

The cost was fine. We had a family room with three beds, which was essential for our family.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel are nice, overlooking the garden square. However, there is quite a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am pleased to read that you found us conveniently located and ideal for your family.
I hope to welcome you back some day!
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We booked this hotel for a cheap, overnight trip to London. We requested a triple room with three single beds, for me, my sister and my 5yr old daughter. We arrived a couple of hours before our check-in time and our room wasn't quite ready but the lovely lady on reception said our luggage could be stored until we returned later that evening. She even gave my sister a hair tie when she couldn't locate her own one in her bag. The room itself was clean and much more spacious than I was expecting after reading some of the reviews. Our room was equipped with a flat screen tv with freeview, a hairdryer, soap and shampoo and a fan, which was a godsend in 30 degree heat. Breakfast was included in the price (£75 for a triple room) and, for the money, it was very nice - offering cereals, toast, yogurt and fruit. Egg and bacon was available for a small charge. The member of staff serving breakfast was very nice, offering my daughter hot chocolate drinks. Again we were able to leave our overnight bag at reception while we had another day in the centre of London. Overall, a fantastic hotel at a great price with helpful staff located just a five minute walk from Bayswater underground station. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am delighted to hear how well the staff looked after you and your family during your stay with us. Customer service is something we pride ourselves on so it is always great to read our guests positive reaction towards our staff.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
Kind regards,
Vince Polo
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This hotel was our main base for two prior trips to London, but we won't be coming back after our latest visit. It remains a tidy, quiet place but is no longer competitive with nearby hotels of similar price. A former library and a separate sitting room have now been converted to additional lodging. The effect has been to remove public space amenities and boost congestion. A long wait for the lift, or for breakfast in their now too small breakfast room is standard. We checked out feeling like this was no longer suitable for our needs. We spent our last night in London in a hotel literally across the street that had a spacious, modern, and welcoming lobby, an excellent breakfast buffet, and quiet, comfortable rooms with considerably larger bathrooms. Sorry Garden Court; we're moving on.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Peter,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. It is true that we no longer have the lounge and coffee areas though this has led to an increase in our bedroom standards and if you were to see these now converted rooms I am sure you would agree.
Normally our breakfast room (which has not been reduced in size) can cope perfectly with the extra footfall. At peak times there could be a small wait though we have never considered it to be an issue as it is very rare. It may have just been one of those days where everyone came down together and even the largest hotels would struggle with that situation.
I do hope you will consider us again as generally I consider us to be one of the best hotels in the area for value, it is true that our prices can vary dependant on occupancy but it also mean that, as you will find in Hoestdog63's review a couple earlier, you can find a bargain here too!