“In a good area but not that nice a place”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #640 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Rocklin, California
“In a good area but not that nice a place”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We just returned from our trip around the UK, we had a great time. Staying in London at this place, nice area with plenty of restaurants in the area. Close to the tube. Room was very small and food just ok, the place needs some work

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Manager C, Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased that you liked the location of the hotel and the local restaurants.

I am very sorry that on this occasion you found the size of your room to be smaller than expected.
We do have rooms of various sizes to suit all guest requirements.

Please book with us directly on 020 7229 2553, and we will be able to ensure that you are allocated a room to meet all of your expectations.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hebrew first
Israel
Reviewed 28 June 2014

the hotel is located in a quiet area, close enough to a few tube stations.
I felt safe walking in the area, although didn't spend too much time around.

the room I stayed in, knew better days, and was badly maintained.
the door for the bathroom was new, but was never painted - yes, you see the wood.
2 out of three lights didn't work because the bulbs were burnt, not only they do not replace the bulbs, but no one really cares if they work. the mirror was hung on 2 screws that almost fell from the wall, and there was water spots on the ceiling.

having said that, the reception is manned 24 hours a day, the crew was nice, the room was of a nice size and the Wifi worked fine.

so if you don't plan to stay too much time in the room, and price matters, it is a hotel you can consider.
I wouldn't spend a romantic vacation there though

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to see that you liked the Bayswater area and we will look into the maintenance issue you raised. We represent excellent value for money in what is an expensive city and remember to always come direct to us on 020 7229 2553 for the very best prices!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel by default, as a hotel reservation we had booked through Expedia around the corner, was mishandled and was canceled. Imagine our surprise when arriving at that hotel and being told we had no room. Wimbeldon was being played and rooms everywhere were scare. The clerk at that hotel found online a room for us at Garden Court. (rated 4 stars because of "budget" category).

We came in panting with our bags around 5 pm (after a 10 hour plus trip from the States), grateful that the clerk, Diana, said that yes, they had 1 room left. We know this to be true as she got a phone call from someone wanting the last room, and she told them, "No sir, I'm sorry, that room is not available, I am in the process of booking it right now!" This began a wonderful stay at the hotel and just the first act of help and kindness received from Diana and other hotel staff.

Yes, our room and bathroom were small (as other reviewers have said). To which I say, so what? You want a big room, pay a big price and go somewhere else. This hotel has a great location, near lots of restaurants, and other activities one block away, including not one but two tube stations on different lines. We went all over London from here, and returned easily each time to a two block walk back to the hotel.

The included breakfast was delightful. Everywhere else in this category (budget) that I looked at online charged extra for breakfast. The included breakfast was adequate, healthy, and with good service. Give me a break--paying 1 pound for an egg is offensive? (as some reviewers say).I think not. I am happy the option for eggs/bacon (protein) is available, but only by request, so no extra charges are incurred for breakfast. Someone complained in a review about the coffee--this is Great Britain. Have tea! (btw, my wife said the coffee was good).

Our best experience is saved for last. That is the patient, helpful, beyond-the-call of duty service we received from Diana. She checked us in when we were feeling as low as possible. She was helpful, understanding, and got us "squared away" with no hassle. As I needed to reconfirm a hotel later in our travels (after our hassle with our original London reservation), she made the call for me and put my mind to rest. Helped in scanning a document I needed, and emailed it to me. Recommended and set up a car service to pick us up on our departure, saving us transfers and hassle using the tube or trains, and saving us money to boot! Diana is an angel...soft-spoken but happy to help.

We will be back on our next trip to London. Thank you Garden Court, and thank you Diana.

Room Tip: We stayed in a double, room 316 and it was very nice!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ken S
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am delighted to read of the high levels of service you received, particularly from Diana. I will ensure that your comments and praise are passed onto her.
It was a pleasure having you and your wife stay with us and I was lucky enough to speak with you one morning whilst you were having difficulties arranging an appointment with the US Embassy!
Should you ever decide to return please contact us directly and we will arrange an extra little treat for you!
Thanks again
Perpignan, France
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A very nice hotel, near Kensington gardens, in a lively neighborhood. Very well located, quiet, clean, roomy, convenient. We slept in a four-persons bedroom and really enjoyed the space and view. Perfect location to discover London for a reasonable price. The staff was kind and always ready to answer our questions. The breakfast was a bit disappointing though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alexia B
Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read you liked the hotel. Hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Smallish bedroom for one person. Bathroom marginal making it very hard for a tall person when needing toilet. Bed was comfortable. However pillow wasnt changed from day to day and sheets. Despite that,fan was handy

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elis G
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Hotel is in a good location and has responsive and attentive staff (especially Gloria on reception who is extremely good). Room furnishings a little tired but nonetheless clean. The breakfast was good and overall it was a comfortable stay. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel Manager C, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am sure that Gloria is delighted with your kind words.
I am pleased to read that you intend to return to us, please call us on 020 7229 2553 when reserving your room and we will treat you to a complimentary cooked breakfast!
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, one adult and two children. Had spacious & clean triple room on top floor, with comfortable beds (double and a single - contrary to the info given on internet booking sites that implied you could choose 3 single beds, but I suspect that is the fault of the booking sites I looked at and not the hotel's). Each bed had a reading light which was great and rarely encountered. I couldn't have been more pleased with the hotel, as my concern was that London is full of so many places to stay I could end up somewhere horrid, and this was clean, quiet, secure, had free wi-fi which worked without any problems during our entire stay, free hot drinks in reception, with friendly & helpful staff (especially Gloria, from Spain, on reception, great to see someone who actually loves their job!) and was very conveniently located within easy walk of several tube stations & buses, and countless restaurants, not to mention Kensington Gardens/Park. I had specifically understood from the booking site that breakfast was not included so the fact that the continental breakfast was included was simply an added bonus. When you're expecting nothing to have fruit, yoghurt, cereal, cheese, juice, toast & tea or coffee provided is a plus. Thank you Garden Court, I would definitely come again.

Room Tip: Our triple on top floor (503) was spacious and each bed had a reading light. Windows overlooked the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Manager C, Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! I am really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. All guests can enjoy an inclusive continental breakfast regardless of how the booking is made. If you call us directly on 020 7229 2553 top book your room we will upgrade you to a cooked breakfast free of charge!! Hope to see you again soon.