“Great London location and decent price”

Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria
Ranked #603 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Folsom, California
“Great London location and decent price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

This hotel is located in the Pimlico area near the underground stop of the same name. Advanced purchased pricing is good. There are five floor in this small hotel which contains a small bar and provides a free breakfast. My wife and I have stayed here approx 10 times and have enjoyed them all. The hotel does not have AC so avoid the upper floor (5th) in the dead of summer. All front office staff were friendly and Mr. Ahab was especially helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
HotelServiceTeam, Reception Supervisor at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Mdindio,

It’s fantastic to read your review, especially coming from a regular guest. Many thanks for your continuous support! We will definitely pass on the comments to Ehab and the rest of the team.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to having you back soon!

Reception Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I gave this hotel a 2 because of the lovely staff. The gentleman who welcomed me to the hotel was really friendly and I was asked how my stay was when I left. When I relayed my complaints I did receive an apology which was nice.
My room was reasonably small and on the first floor. My room was clean and I do like having a choice of pillows.
I had asked for a room with a desk as I knew I'd have to work in the evening, but it was very close to the bed, in fact it took a bit of twisting to get the chair out. It was useable but not very comfortable.
The air temperature was about 20 degrees outside but inside my room I could have been in the tropics. I'm not particularly sensitive to heat but this really got to me. I was provided with a fan, thank you for that, it did make the room cooler and bearable when it was on. I did initially turn it off when I tried to sleep because it was quite noisy but I soon learnt that the noise of the fan was the least of my worries. I felt like my neighboring guests were actually in my room, the insulation is that bad. The noise of the relatively busy road outside was incredibly loud. I didn't get very much sleep at all which was quite stressful as I was there for business reasons and really needed to be able to concentrate the day afterwards. If I had been able to sleep I may have given the hotel a 3.
The shower gel dispenser in the shower also did not work.
The breakfast was like others have said pretty standard Holiday Inn fare and quite tasty.
A point to note would be that there isn't a restaurant on site, however there are lots to choose from in the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel is you want to get any sleep. I'd also ask for one on a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear Uluru_12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. We apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced due to he room accommodations, noise from our other guests and hotel amenities which fell below your expectations. I have shared the information with the appropriate departments so we can better accommodate our guests and their needs.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

coleshill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

5 minute walk from Pimlico tube station. Friendly and helpful staff, lovely room.. Complimentary breakfast (hot and cold) reasonably priced for such a great location, set in Georgian style terrace. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Debra S,

Thank you for choosing us for your London break, we are very pleased to read that you found the staff friendly and that you liked the location and the room.

It would be fantastic to have you back next time you visit London!

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

This hotel is in a very good location, close to Victoria Station, a main underground stop which is also close to Buckingham Palace. The hotel rooms are very small, but clean. It was difficult to find a spot to open up your luggage! The breakfast was pretty good - similar to what you might find in a Holiday Inn Express in the U.S. If you are watching your budget and don't plan to spend much time in your room, this is a fine hotel. Otherwise, you might want to spend a little more money for a larger hotel room. They were very nice and accommodating when we asked for extra internet time (you only receive about an hour for free on one electronic item only).

Room Tip: Our room and a friend's room were both located in the front - street side. It was a little loud...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Renee T,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. It’s great to read that you found our location well connected and that you enjoyed the breakfast.

Regarding the room size, please note that we do have larger family rooms which you can reserve in advance, as they are normally the first to be booked. Next time please do not hesitate to request a room at the back, we look forward to welcoming you back!

boynton beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We spent 2 days in London after a 12 day cruise & stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Victoria. The staff is super friendly which somewhat makes up for the other problems. The rooms are quite small which presents a problem for your luggage-which upon check in they offer to keep locked up downstairs. We were on the 4th floor and the bathroom pressure was extremely poor. The area is interesting in that I think that all the hotels on this block & the next were private homes 80+ years ago & are now small hotels. It is further from the metro (underground) than we were told, but doable for people that like to walk. We took cabs to the main street after we saw the distance & it cost 5-6 pounds-we were 4 people so it was cheaper than using the bus. The room includes breakfast which is a convenience

Room Tip: I saw 3 rooms-they ranged from small to smaller. It appeared that the rooms that faced the back were...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear BonnieMae835,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us during your trip to London. It’s great that you found our Pimlico neighborhood interesting and the staff friendly, I will pass on your comments.

As for the room size, we do have larger family rooms, though they are to be booked in advance as they are normally the first to be reserved.

We would be delighted to have the chance to welcome you back next time you visit London!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

The hotel is in a great location, it was booked via work, I suppose I should have checked, because I assumed I could eat there as I had travelled on my own. I was really disappointed that they don't have a restaurant, so settled for sandwiches from the local Tesco. The breakfast was as to be expected, a small selection of cooked food but plenty of cereal etc. The room was surprisingly small for a double, however, the bathroom was a good size and for me on my own it was fine. The staff were really helpful, the room, hotel and restaurant were really clean, at £165 for one night you are definitely paying for the location, but there are no complaints from me about the service I received

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Michelleandave
HotelServiceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Dear Michelle and Dave,

Many thanks for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. It is thanks to your feedback that we can reflect on our services and improve.

It’s great to read that you found the staff very helpful and the room and restaurant very clean. Unfortunately, we do not have a restaurant, however, next time please ask in reception and we will point you in the right direction as there are plenty of great choices for dinner within a 5 minutes walk.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Ehab Ezeldin
Senior GSM
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

We weren't expecting an amazing hotel based on previous reviews, and chose the hotel based primarily upon location for our 2 night stay for a wedding. We literally just expected a clean room to have a decent sleep in, but I'm sorry to say that the hotel failed to deliver on this.

Firstly, the positive- The rooms are small but we were expecting this for the price in central London. It was fine to use for a weekend. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. So far so good. Breakfast was fairly standard Holiday Inn Express fare.

However, everything else was terrible! Before reading this, please bear in mind that our room was in the allegedly 'quieter' back of thd hotel...

Night one: the room was boiling so we opened the window (no air conditioning- must be unbearable in the summer). However we were woken up repeatedly by church bells, and then from 5:30am when the flight path opened. My boyfriend shut the window so we were boiling hot.. And then some pidgeons turned up and started flapping at the window. To add insult to injury we were woken up AGAIN by housekeeping at 8:30am- I'm sorry but on a weekend this is far too early to be cleaning a room. Admittedly we could have put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door but we have never had this issue on weekend stays before.

Night 2: hammers home to us that the sound insulation is rubbish- I am a deep sleeper and got woken up twice in the night (once at 1:30am and once at 6:30am) by people in neighbouring rooms using hairdryers. It was literally like they were using it in the same room as us. So, obviously the sound insulation in the stud walls is non existent. To add insult to injury on the same night the fire alarm went off at 3:30am. I understand that this can sometimes happen, and have actually stayed in a Holiday Inn where this was the case, and all guests had letters of apology put under their doors- this did not happen here which shocked me. Again, we were boiling hot, and AGAIN had pidgeons throwing themselves at our window.

The final straw for me was checkout- no apology for the fire alarm. We weren't even asked about our stay and if we enjoyed it. If we had been then I wouldn't have felt the need to write this review.

So- all in all, we're heading home exhausted after what should have been a relaxing weekend. The hotel could sort most if its issues if it did something about the internal sound insulation, installed air conditioning units (our room didn't even have a fan) so that guest wouldn't have to open windows and put up with aeroplane noise, had rooms cleaned later on weekends (or at least highlighted to weekend guests that they should use the do not disturb signs if they don't want an early wake up).. And did something to keep pidgeons off windowsills!! Finally it would be nice to be asked if we enjoyed out stay on checkout. I've never written a bad tripadvisor review before and am generally a happy traveller, but feel so strongly that the hotel has let us down this weekend that I had to comment.

There are hotels a million miles better than this, for a similar price, in London. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank RebeccaP190725
HotelServiceTeam, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear RebeccaP190725,

Many thanks for choosing our hotel and providing us with your constructive feedback. It’s a shame to read that you were not satisfied with a few aspects of your stay with us.

Firstly, I would like to apologize that you felt on check out you were not able to voice the issues you faced during your time with us. The staff working the morning after the fire alarm tried to apologize to as many guests as possible and usually we ask all guests for feedback on departure so this isn’t the usual check out standard that we offer.

All of the rooms in the hotel are equipped with fans so its very strange you did not find one inside your room, if mentioned to the staff we would have been happy to help you with this and even provide you with an extra one if your were feeling too hot.

With regards to your issues with internal noise, I understand this must have been frustrating for you, once again if you had contacted reception which is manned 24 hours a day we may have been able to solve the issue for you. The external noise from the church and the pigeons is in some ways out of our control but I must say I have not had any issues reported of this nature so far, saying that we do take the matter very seriously and have investigated what could have attracted the pigeons to you window with pest control.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the housekeeping department, I understand at the weekends all guests should be allowed to sleep in and not be disturbed, we have conducted a meeting regarding this issue you experienced so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

On a final note I would like to once again thank you for taking the time to share you concerns and hope that we can welcome you back on another occasion to show you this was an isolated issue.

Best regards,