“Visited Again, No Change Still A Poor HIE”

Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria
Ranked #619 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Visited Again, No Change Still A Poor HIE”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Visited here a few years ago and was not impressed then, but due to its location was the best HI to stop at.

The reception has not changed, still dingy and lifeless (as the bar area generally), the guys on reception try, but lack the hospitality training or the language skills to make their contact pleasurable.

I got a room on the front, this time, but yes the room was very warm and when the window is open the street noise is terrible; also the TV is a small flat screen with limited channels.

I wanted some ice so as the staff had provided it first time asked again at the desk and was greeted with a bit of a grunt and "ice machine over there" and a loose arm waving in the air.

The breakfast is what it is a cheap HIE buffet, but fine for a quick start.

The free WIFI to HI PC members however, was excellent.

Would I stop there again, only if I had too, I will keep to my favourite London HI at Gloucester Road.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
HotelServiceTeam, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Steve 5839,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are pleased you enjoyed the wifi at the hotel. We are disappointed you didnt enjoy your stay though. Our reception will be revamped in the coming months and whilst we are very luck with our central location sometimes the noise of the city does penetrate through to the rooms. Some people enjoy the hustle and bustle of London but others prefer a quieter stay. Please let reception know when you next stay with us as we keep earplugs for those who prefer to keep out the noise of the city!

We very much hope you will try us again, take advantage of the ear plugs so you have a quieter stay and that you come to see our revamped reception.

Munira

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The hotel looked lovely from the outside, the recovering was nice and overall appearance was too. Then you stepped into the lift it stunk of cigarettes and was the slowest lift I've ever been in. The service was okay, no explanation how to get to room and now help with bags. The floor (3) stunk of smoke yet again. The room was standard it looked clean but was very stuffy and the small fan didn't do much as the room was boiling and felt like there was no air. The window opened slightly but it was so noisy! It was impossible to sleep as you were either too hot or it was too noisy! Breakfast was okay nothing special! Would not stay again!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Emmalucepuce,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are sorry that you felt you didnt have a good experience with us. We are in the process of converting our hotel into a non-smoking property. This will be done by the end of the year. We hope that you will return to us then and enjoy the freshness of the rooms. We are extremely lucky with our central location but unfortunately it does mean that you can hear the hustle and bustle of the city outside. Some people enjoy this and some dont. On your next stay please inform reception as we have earplugs for those who prefer a quieter stay. We are also luck that the hotel is housed in a beautiful historic building. This means that whilst it isnt possible to put in airconditioning, we try to ventilate the room with a fan and we provide water bottles to all our guests to help keep them refreshed! We do hope that you will come and visit us again when we are completely non smoking!

Best wishes,

Munira

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

A last minute decision to take a quick trip to London, so I booked the night before speaking to a nice chap on reception who sorted everything out even managed to talk me into paying a little extra cost for more HIGH reward points ..all was going well !
We arrived before 3 pm but a room was ready .. fab !! check in was far from warm and welcoming but I guess it wasn't rude !! We waited for the lift and up we went to the second floor .. as we stepped out of the lift the heat hit us but it's a listed building and so you don't expect big air con on the go in the hallway .. We open our room door and it took my breath away ...The heat that is !!!!! A small fan was whirling around but to no use at all I put the bags down opened the window (view was of a back of an old run down building being worked on) and escaped as quickly as possible. We were off to explore not sit in a room !! So London was great lots of fun ..back to the hotel to get ready for a show.
The room was even hotter our window had been shut !!!!??? I go to shower and there are marks on the towels !! I was not happy I went to reception to get more ..and to escape the heat of my tiny room !! I asked for new towels and after a waiting a while I was given one !!! Just one !! Time was pressing on and I had to just make do rather than wait for another. We hurriedly got ready and left as being in the room was so uncomfortable and sticky.
Apon returning later that night the staff member looked up whilst on the phone as he was chatting away no hello or smile even ..
Back to the heat we went !! I know listed buildings can't have air con shoved in at a flick of an eye but there are other things that can be addressed get rid of the old shabby carpets give out chilled bottled water just little things !!
Breakfast BIG LET DOWN!!! dirty tables and only one poor lady trying to cook and clear at once !!
No scrambled egg (when it finally came out it was gone in a flash as there was a group waiting for it)..no beans (same again) .. no cheese (it was all soft and melted in the packet when that arrived) sausages (stone cold) ..One flavour of yoghurt .. no milk in jugs (I opened a new carton myself)... no bowls or glasses (old dear beat me to the last one's) finally got to the bread for toast only crusts/heels/crusts (whatever you want to call them) left ah well managed to snag the last bit of butter (result) but then no knives left to put it on with !!!! What ever next !!!??? More egg at last I'm 2nd I the line I will get some ..my turn I open the trey and only a small amount left ..puzzled I spot the person in fronts plate not a huge amount ..then why so little ?? This is when I see a MEMBER OF STAFF walking out of the kitchen area with a rather FULL BOWL of FOOD !!!!! Peeved is such a massive understatement there were lots if PAYING guests waiting for there breakfast and remember it's not "free" it's included in the accommodation price !!! I found this utterly unacceptable !! We went to our room gathered our bags went to check out and pass on my disappointment ... We waited 10 minutes for the lift and eventually gave up and opted for the stairs .. as had everyone else !! The carpet is so worn in places that there is not much grip under foot, I found this out when I SLIPPED & FELL .. marvellous I pulled my self up with the help of strangers and my giggling husband (turns out the noise i made whilst falling was rather comical) I had more of a brused ego and bottom than any major injoury .. i was not happy now at all !! What topped it ... The person on reception had a big smile on her face !!!! .. NO WONDER ... she was the one who had a nice big bowl of hot breakfast .. I didn't complain there and then as by this time I was ready to pop !! My husband ushered me out of the building as quickly as possible (I realised I can be rather grouchy without food).
So thats my experience ... Will I be returning or recommending hmm let's see ??!!! What would you do !!!???

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Julia M
HotelServiceTeam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Julia M,

Please allow me to apologize for the shortcomings during your recent stay with us. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem area and take the necessary action to ensure similar situations can beavoided in the future. While we understand that the hot weather is having an adverse effect to our residents and tackling the best we can but in the meantime we are also looking into the ways to install the air-conditioning unit in this listed building. But the type of building and its location means this has been a challenge and we arelooking into ways to overcome this.
Nevertheless i am grateful for your feeback and particuarly concerned about the service elements and would like to contact you in person to delve more into the matter and have sent you the personal message. Hope to speak to you in personl.

Sachin Shrestha
Delta, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel has an excellent location near to Pimlico Tube Station and Victoria Station. The room was okay, but a bit tired and definitely warm. We were a bit nervous keeping our windows open, but did so out of necessity. The staff was friendly enough, the room was clean enough, the breakfast was okay (but horrible coffee). Our IHG reward points covered 3 of our 4 nights, and although I realize London is expensive, I was really glad I didn't have to pay for the other nights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris-and-Karen007
HotelServiceTeam, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Mr Chris-and-Karen007,

Thank you for being IHG Rewards Club Member and its glad indeed that you found our location and staff are great as well as clean room, we are very sorry about that warm weather which made you to open window, but if necessary window can be open and shouldn’t be any problems you also mention coffee was not that good in breakfast room and we will investigate about that issue.
We are looking forward to see you back on you next London visit.

kind regards
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights whilst I was on business in London. The first night I was in a room at the front of the building. It was small, hot and the window only opened approx 6 inches. There was also a lot of noise from the road. After the first night I asked to move to a rear bedroom which was better. However, there was still a lot of noise from other guests because this hotel is in an old building and therefore is not purpose built. In addition to all this I found the manager helpful and pleasant when I asked to move rooms but the check in desk girls when I arrived were officious and the breakfast staff gave the impression that they could not be bothered. Also the coffee out of the coffee machine was disgusting and the scrambled egg was well over cooked.

The cost of the hotel was £165 per night. I know that this was for the location but if it was out of London and I was paying for it myself £40 per night would have been what it was worth. I will never stay at is hotel again and it is a shame because overall I like the Holiday Inn Express chain.

Room Tip: Have a room at the back of the hotel and ask for it to be away from the stairs if you want a bit mor...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sarah J,
Thank you for writing a review, and we found that your stay with us was not that great, we would like to apologise for that, just for the health and safety reason we locked that window but on the guest request we could help to open window more than that, but we please to know that our Manager pleasantly manage to give you room on the back of the hotel.
we will investigate about the reception staff and breakfast room staff were not that attentive towards you as well as scrambled egg was not that good enough, we are taking very seriously all our guest complain and suggestion so we would like to assured that you will not have that experience in future stay with us.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to prove our shelf.
Kind regards
Badalona, Spain
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Well located hotel, smart outside, friendly staff.
The room was large but was a twin bed not a double.Bed was confortable (but too narrow)
It was the end of July and very hot in London, unfortunately there is no AC in the hotel, but they put a fan in each room.
Breakfast poor: no bacon, no fried egg ...
I spent quite a while working in the room and the lobby and the WiFi was good

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark R
Dear Mr Mark,

Thank you for your time to write the review, and you have found us in great location as well as our staff are friendly, comfortable bed good WiFI signals.

we are so sorry you found our breakfast is not that reasonable for you, please give us another opportunity to make you fully satisfied, and we are looking forward to see you soon.

kind regards
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The basement room i got was horrible and smelly. A nice location in the city centre. Restaurants nearby. Carpet floor need to be removed. To get to your room you have to pass 10 doors and corridors lacking fresh air.

Room Tip: Ask a room on the street. Larger window, better view . The street is quite calm.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
HotelServiceTeam, Hotel Receptionist at Holiday Inn Express London - Victoria, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear MiklosAlmasy,
Please accept my sincerest apology if we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation on this day. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve. This building is a Victorian House that we try to keep as original as possible. The fire regulations means we are required to have the fire doors but not as many as you mentioned. On the positive note we are glad you found the location nice. We hope to have you in our hotel in the future and that your experience will be positive one.

Giorgia Di Blasi