“Three night stay”

Ranked #496 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Peterborough, England
“Three night stay”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked this hotel as the one we usually stay at was full. However, we found our room on the 4th floor to be fairly small with a window that couldn't open and around the window the wall was mouldy. The room was also quite chilly and although the temp went up to 25, there was no warm air coming out. We mentioned this to reception who promised to send an engineer, but if he did ever arrive it didn't make the room any wamer! There are no drawers or storage in the room, just a few hangers under a shelf, no safe or iron either. On the plus side, the bathroom was excellent, very well presented and spotlessly clean. Breakfast had a reasonable choice, but all packets, machine or cartons and only eggs, sausage and beans for a hot choice.

However, we found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful so that was a plus and we may stay here again as it was very handy to the conference venue that we attended.

Room Tip: High floor recommended to avoid noise from the street late at night!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Lindacol,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was a business trip and my travel department paid 260 for the room.

I was given a room on the first floor and the smell of smoke was incredible in the corridor. The room when I entered did not seem too smelly - but when I put the key in the wall the air con kicked in. The room then smelled like the inside of an ashtray.

I phoned to request a non smoking room and was told that they could not as I had paid only a standard rate.

I went for a walk with a colleague and the area around the hotel is not the safest either.

Appalling room / worst customer service.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel .... unless you are a chain smoker
2 Thank Roy A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Roy A,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the smell of cigarette smoke during your stay and the poor customer service you received which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The purpose of the review is to give an indication of just how good Customer service is at this hotel. I had travelled down from Liverpool on 21.09.13 with my wife and our 18 year old daughter who was starting University at the City of London on 23.09.13.
We had arrived at her accommodation at 12.30pm and spent the best part of 6 hours sorting out her room unpacking all of her luggage etc setting up the TV and all of the usual stuff that goes with an 18 year old female re-location.

We had booked a single nights accommodation at this hotel as it was close to our daughter’s accommodation. Unfortunately we were unable to book a parking space at the hotel prior to travelling, as it is offered on a first come first served basis. Because of this we were obliged to purchase a parking space belonging to a resident in N1 district using "buymyparkingspace".com. When we arrived at the hotel I made enquires as to whether there were any spaces available, there happened to be 1 but the charge would be £30.00.

I had already paid £27.00 for the other space but we were so tied from all of the day’s events that we decided it would make sense to use the hotel facility, rather that try to find the other space and have to walk back to the hotel.

The Reception manager Viyan Fernando happened to be at the desk when I was having the conversation with the female receptionist. My wife is disabled and Mr Fernando remembered that I had requested that we leave the car at the front of the hotel just to get our case and small incidentals out of the car and we would display our blue badge. He asked if he could take a photocopy of the Blue badge and then to my astonishment stated we could have the parking space free of charge.
At the end of a very long day my faith in humanity was restored by this very kind gentleman who saved me a hell of a lot time trying to find someone else’s parking space in another part of the city and having to find my way back to the hotel.
Very big thanks to you Mr Fernando you do the company you work for extremely proud. I almost forgot the free breakfast was excellent as well. Highly recommended and I won’t be going anywhere else when I visit my daughter in London.
Dave Keegan

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
City_General_Manager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Harleyman55,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding our hotel staff. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay with our staff & service.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with the entire staff as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express-London City a leader in excellence. This is well set example by one of our Manager's.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express-London City.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Getting there by Underground: Old Street Station is closest and when you leave the ticket check look for Exit 2. at the top the hotel is straight ahead about 250yds.

Once in, the reception is fine and the staff friendly and knowledgeable. Check in is quick and the lifts [2] to the rooms OK. There was a slight smell of aircon about the corridors but these were otherwise clean and functional.

The room was of average size, maybe a tad smaller than average, but sufficient for the double bed and settee come bed in my room. There was plenty of space to move about. I had a desk and chair, flatscreen TV [about 18 channels] and the aforementioned settee. If it were assembled as a bed, space might be an issue for three adults.

Unusually the window was locked and a little sticker proclaimed that this was to comply with Fire Regulations. I wonder why? If there had been a fire, the chair was going out first and I was intending to follow! I had this little decorative balcony and my plan was to wait there for rescue in the event of a conflagration.

There was a toilet/shower as standard and this was absolutely spotless. The shower area was enclosed so no splashing the floor. It was also quite large so plenty room. The hotel supplies soaps/wash in burnished steel dispensers - one above the sink and another in the shower.

On the downside, if guests are staying for some time, there are no presses, drawers or other enclosed storage areas to put clothing. There is a rail with coat hangers mounted under a shelf. The bathroom has a sink in a shelf for toiletries and the shower cubicle likewise. There are shelves by the bed and there is the desk.

The bedroom was very clean. The bed [mattress] was soft and a selection of soft or hard pillows [so labelled] available. Bed covers are duvet. The room had an aircom which hissed away til I switched it off. During the night it [or something] shuddered and woke me.

Breakfast was OK. There was a reasonable - but not great [no wheetabix] selection of cereals. Everything is self-service. Anything that can be dispensed my machine is - milk for the cereal; orange or apple juice and the coffee machine has a selection of buttons for all types. The warm dishes are limited to beans, scrambled egg and sausages. The latter were good, the eggs OK and well you know what they say about beans. I was going to a day long heavy meeting so they didn't figure on my plate! You could make toast and butter/preserves were available. There was a good selection of croissants too and I may have spotted yoghurts though as they don't feature on my diet I tend not to pay them a second glance. There were apples and oranges for those who like some fresh fruit.

A nice touch I thought was the newspaper selection - two Irish dailies and an English one. Did they know I was Irish? [The room was booked for me by an English office]

Check out was - like check in - friendly and cheerful.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back. It overlooks a nice square and there is less noise.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at the Holiday Inn Express London City on Sept 20 & 21. Returned to the hotel from having a meal at a local restaurant to find I had no hot water, contacted the front desk and was told they'd investigate. Advised it wouldn't be long, I waited 20 minutes and still wasn't back on, so went to bed. At about 10.40pm the fire alarm starts screaming in the room, with heart pounding I scramble to the door and make my way down the corridor to the stairs, only to be told by another guest who'd called reception that it was a false alarm. Head back to my room, go back to bed and roughly 30 minutes later ....you guessed it! The fire alarm goes off again!!!! Again, a "false alarm"!! Not happy. So I go to the bathroom thinking the hot water must be back by now and I'll have shower before going back to bed, but no there's no waiter at all now!! Again call the front desk, again told it'll be back on soon. Gave up and went to be, albeit wondering when the next alarm was going to screech through the room. When it came to check out time I asked for some consideration to be given toward the account for that night and was told it wouldn't be. Didn't even get an apology, be it sincere or otherwise. I've got another trip to London scheduled for the end of October, guess where I won't be staying? ...

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Sandgrouper29,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations which affected your stay negatively. We also apologize for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fine for a night or 2. I found the room and bathroom to be clean, modern and quiet for London. My only gripes with the room were the very soft bed and the absence of an iron / ironing board which I would have thought should have been standard for a city hotel. I phoned reception for an iron and was told I could have one but I would have to come down to reception myself - not the best customer service. Breakfast is included free and whilst it was sufficient the hot range is pretty basic I.e Only sausage, scrambled egg or beans. Location is good - near old street tube and only 2 stops from st pancras. I would stay again because it's good value and it's a good location but it's not perfect. Some new mattresses would help!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear David S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay. We are glad you like the breakfast that was served. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the uncomfortable bed, amenities and staff service. Our goal is to consistently provide excellent service and accommodations and your comments are highly important. Rest assured your concerns will be looked into. We appreciate your candid feedback and welcome to any opportunity to improve our hotel. We hope to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Zelyn N
Eastpoint, Florida
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay in this hotel with our twenty-something son. The staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean, but small. Since our son was on a sofa-bed he had a rough time since the sofa bed had a 3-inch-thick mattress over the metal frame. Not great for sleeping. And, with the sofa bed open the room was VERY small. So, the room is fine for two people, but don't try to put anyone else in the room. The breakfast was great, although it didn't vary at all so after a couple of days it got a bit boring, BUT it was free and well done. The best thing about the hotel is that it's close to the Old Street underground station so you can be out and about quickly. There are also a number of great restaurants within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and it was very quiet. Just be aware that the elevators are a bit slow and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family