“Good location, clean and comfortable rooms”

Holiday Inn Express London City
Ranked #497 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Lee, United Kingdom
“Good location, clean and comfortable rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights on business. The location was ideal for my work commitments and really convenient for getting around London as it is a stone's throw from Old Street tube station.

The room was clean, modern and comfortable.

All residents receive free WiFi access - unfortunately this was so slow it was completely unusable even for basic browsing during my stay. The fact that access to this network is completely unrestricted (i.e. no need to enter surname/room number like most hotels) is probably a contributing factor. Not great if you're travelling on business and need to use the Internet.

I did talk to reception/management about the WiFI issue, but they didn't seem to care (being an IHG Platinum member didn't help either). Customer service was particularly poor.

Breakfast was chaos due to the sheer number of guests and staff bustling around a small buffet, but the selection and quality was fine. Nobody there to check that you are a hotel resident any morning of my stay, so anyone could walk in off the street for a free breakfast!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear MikeB12345,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. As an IHG Rewards Platinum Elite member we greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the internet connection has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Good price for the location. The room and bathroom were compact but clean, fresh and up to date. It was also lovely and quiet. Breakfast included in the price (as well as wifi).
Probably best taking your own hairdryer as ours was very poor and kept cutting out.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Normangnome
City_General_Manager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Normangnome,

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry that the hairdryer in the room did not work properly. Just to let you know that we do have spare ones in case the one in the room is not working and it can be requested via Reception. I am pleased the rest all was ok during your stay.

Many Thanks.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

It was a great location for my visit, considering my meeting place was across the street. It's a 5-10 minute walk to the Old Street tube station. Maybe not the best location for a tourist, although there were many families staying there. They have a good Brititan breakfast, which is supplied constantly. The hotel is very clean, with comfortable bedding.

1 Thank Lbonacci39
Dear Lbonacci39,

Many Thanks for your feedback. We are glad that you had a god stay with us and we hope to welcome you soon.

Thank You.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Well, this was so cheap (£107.00) for the family that we weren't sure what to expect. Good, clean reception area with efficient and effective staff. Very clean and modern room with adequate services. Very good bathroom and shower. TV worked ( always a bonus in the budget hotel!) very well situated closes to trendy Shoreditch and Hoxton with some good restaurants and bars nearby.

A decent breakfast served lateish ( til 10.00).

Only downsides- the bed settee used by the children was very uncomfortable and our room was situated by the lift with a fire door just outside. The constant opening and closing was quite noisy.

All told though- quite a bargain and I'd stay again but would check out the sofa bed on arrival.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Howard B
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed for one night on Sunday 29th September 2013. There was some important feedback I wanted to give the hotel but my travel partner asked me not to in case it caused a fuss.

We often stay in Holiday Inn’s and are Priority Club members. I expected the ‘Express’ chain to be of high standards and although most things were, some clearly weren’t as you will see in my review.

The hotel was very clean and staff were very pleasant and attentive.

The room was adequate, comfortable and clean. It had a great bathroom and shower. Good facilities for a great price (£78 for the night). However............on the negative side........

• The first thing that caused us alarm was when we checked in and encountered the quite aggressive and ignorant way an oriental looking male manager was talking to staff and ordering them around. To a lay person and guest, just checking in, this was quite upsetting.

• The main thing that really really concerned us were the hygiene standards at the breakfast service. After we had eaten we saw :-

- Several staff were putting food out (uncovered items such as bread etc.) with ungloved hands.

- Joyce was the only member of staff wearing a pair of the blue rubber gloves. However…………………………..

- She was wetting (not washing) apples and then placing them wet, directly on a wooden shelf that smelt quite horribly due to the damp

- After she had stacked the apples she cleared away dirty crockery and picked up ‘old’ food from people’s plates and off tables with the same gloved hands

- With the same gloves on her hands she then cleared rubbish and physically pushed it and squashed it down into the rubbish bin with the same gloved hands

- After this, with the same gloved hands she filled up cutlery and touched the areas on the cutlery that people would use to eat and put in their mouth

- Her next task with the same gloved hands was to replenish stock

- She then used what looked a like a very dirty rag, with the same gloved hands and wiped the bin, the cupboard and the horrifically the serving surface

- Lastly with the same gloved hands we saw her take bread out of the wrapper, touching the bread itself and stack this for use

We were absolutely disgusted by most of these practices and felt quite nauseous.

My rating of this hotel because of this is 2 out of 5, however if the issues at breakfast hadn't of taken place I would have rated 4 out of 5.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tickets-Boo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Ticktoneers,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the cleanliness prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do thank you for the high scores for our Value, Rooms, and Service. We take all of the reviews we received very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

This hotel could easily have received an "Excellent" rating, and I am sure many leisure travellers and tourists will be delighted to stay here. As a business traveller, however, there were a surprising number of basic facilities unavailable, and the customer service ranged from reasonable to awful, but was generally mediocre.

Positive Points:

Location - 5 minutes walk from Old Street Tube Station
Cleanliness - Room was spotless
Maintenance - Hotel was in excellent order throughout, room possibly recently refurbished?
Comfort - Beds were extremely comfortable, with a selection of different pillows
Food - Excellent quality and presentation (I had one evening meal)
Travelling essentials - complimentary toileteries (I had forgotten toothpaste on my first night)

Negative Points:

Reception Desk - Slow, inefficient, and unprofessional
Room Service - There is none. The only option to eat is to sit in the bar/restaurant
Internet Access - Did not work
Personal Safe - There wasn't one in my room. I had to leave valuables in my case
Ironing Board - There wasn't one in my room. One could be obtained from Reception but only borrowed for a short time.
Local Area - Directly outside my window was what appeared to be a Student Halls of Residence, where youngsters sat out on the street drinking and shouting until after 1am each night.
Bar Service - I had to wait over 10 minutes to be served when I was the only person at the bar, because the middle-aged staff member was too busy attempting to flirt with two young females who simply wished to check in to the hotel. He then took it upon himself to escort the two young ladies personally to their room. I was eventually served by another member of staff when the shifts changed at 11pm.

If the hotel wishes to attract business customers, they really need to provide better services such as working Internet access, Room Service, and an ironing board in each room.

At check-in, I overheard from another customer that the Wi-Fi was not working, and asked if it was possible to cancel my reservation as a result. I was advised that it was not possible to cancel. While I was checking in, another customer arrived and his first question was whether or not WiFi worked in the rooms, to which the receptionist replied "I'll tell you about the WiFi later", before preceeding to check this gentleman in, and then advising him that actually the Internet Access did not work anywhere in the hotel. This customer also asked if he could cancel his booking, as he had work planned for the evening which required Internet Access.

Note to Holiday Inn: Just because it's free, doesn't mean it's not important. While I was at the check-in desk, every single guest who arrived asked to cancel their booking as a result of the lack of Wi-Fi access. Nobody appeared to care whether or not there was a charge for WiFi.

Due to the lack of room service, I had to eat in the bar / restaurant. The food was good, but I was subjected to soccer on the television whilst eating.

I asked the gum-chewing receptionist where I might find an ironing board, wondering if there was a laundry room, and was given an ironing board and iron from a store to take up to my room. After ironing my shirts, I dozed off, and was awoken late at night by a telephone call from reception asking me to return the ironing board. I offered to leave it outside my door, but was told it was my responsibility to bring it back to reception "in case someone else takes it", as ironing boards are understandably in high demand.

On my second night, I decided to work late in the office, rather than risk returning to the hotel only to find the WiFi was still not working, so did not use the restaurant, but I did buy a bottle of water to take back to my room. During my 10 minute wait at the bar, the middle-aged gentlemen was seemingly more interested in keeping two young ladies engaged in conversation than he was in actually checking them in. A lady came out of the back office, ignored me waiting at the bar, then tapped away at a computer on reception desk, subsequently checking in another customer and resuming tapping away at her computer while I waited a further 5 minutes. Another member of staff advised me that his shift hadn't started yet (it was 22:55 at this point), and I was finally served on the stroke of 23:00 by a helpful young lady who had just started her shift. (The gentleman who had been on reception, by this point had disappeared down a corridor with the two ladies in their early 20's who had just checked in).

I had made a mental note of the good and bad points of my stay, expecting the customary question along the lines of "how was your stay?" when checking out. Sadly, staff at this hotel, as I had discovered, are not trained in the most basic aspects of customer service, and I was given no opportunity to provide my feedback in person. The receptionist actually managed to complete the entire check-out process without making eye contact, or enquiring if I would have like my invoice in an envelope.

Under better management, I am sure this hotel could easily be rated as excellent, but this was my first impression, and as a result I won't be back anytime soon to discover if anything has improved.

1 Thank Scott B
Dear Scott B,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I appreciate your compliments regarding our superb location, clean and comfortable rooms and food exceeded your expectations. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry if your stay was negatively affected by the internet service and service you received from our staff. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.
Grantham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

You tend to know what you are going to get with the Holiday Inn Express brand. This one doesn't disappoint, but equally doesn't offer any positive surprises.
The room was standard and just about big enough but the air-con/heating was a bit noisy. Food in the evening and at breakfast was certainly not fine dining, but it was reasonable and as expected. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and always smiling.
It seems that price varies according to demand/supply and London appears to have been full this week, so it was a bit pricey.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Garry M,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. It is good to know that our rooms were sufficient enough for your needs and you found our staff to be accommodating. I regret if the food served and air conditioning systems though were a disappointment. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

I sincerely hope that the next time you are in the area you will give our hotel another try.

Pam G