“Value for money central London hotel”

Holiday Inn Express London City
Ranked #484 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Good size room with air conditioning decent bed with choice of soft or hard pillows. Pleasant and helpful staff. Good location for city. Breakfast ok but no bacon, scrambled eggs and sausages cooked with pastries a bit dried out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BristolMKH

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We came to London for the weekend, and stayed at this hotel as it was reasonably well located, had good reviews and the price was good.
It is very close to the Tube which made getting around easy. Although not terribly inspiring from outside, inside is great; clean and spacious. Our room (5th floor) was modern and probably recently decorated as it looked immaculate. Bathroom fittings were very modern and all sparkled.
The bed was exceptionally bouncy, but after we got over the shock of any movement setting up a wave effect we slept really well. Sound insulation is great (hotel is very close to a fire station and we didn't hear a thing), air conditioning / heating efficient and the windows opened.
Breakfast was ok, no veggie sausages just meat and no decaff tea bags (no worries there as I had brought my own). Breakfasts are better at Premier Inn I think.
All in all - a great weekend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicky A
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Martin A
Thank you for your very positive feedback and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make note of your comments on veggie sausages and de-cafe tea and see what we can do. Our breakfast is free to all our guests, unlike some of our competitors who charge.
Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here as close to a course we were on. Excellent quality rooms. Small but functional bathroom with good shower. Comfy bed with choice of pillows - firm, soft. Air con was a bit noisy but effective. Excellent value for money in central London at only £68 per double room per night including breakfast.
Local area vibrant, young people and lots of bars with few restaurants. Eventually found a very nice restaurant. Would advise booking ahead as every where was very busy even just after Christmas.
Breakfast was pretty good, usual fare but no bacon, only sausage. Coffee tasted a bit weird - from machine.

2  Thank sazoscar

Dear sazoscar
Thank you for your great review - I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We have had work done on our AC system so can you please email us with more information about this and we can look info it for you at gsmcity@holidayinnlondon.com

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed for one night, after helping a friend celebrate his birthday nearby, and were very pleasantly surprised.

The building is faceless and charmless from the outside but the reception was welcoming. Our room was 120, on the first floor but up a very short flight of stairs, down a Euro hostel styled corridor. The room itself was good - no room to swing even a modestly sized cat but spotlessly clean. The bed was a bit soft but comfortable and the shower room was excellent. An LCD TV and a kettle rounded off the room's contents. 'Tea' bags are provided but they're Tetley and after half an hour of prodding and swishing we were still only able to get some vaguely brown water for our efforts so I'd say bring your own. There was surprisingly little road noise, thanks to some seriously good double glazing and the curtains pretty much blacked out the room so a good night's sleep was had.

Breakfast was a mixed bag. Do not eat the scrambled eggs. The sausages were standard industrial items, the coffee was the worst I've had in a hotel and they constantly ran out of bread for toast. Pastries were nice but they are put in a heated dish and the ones at the bottom of the pile are made of rocks by the time they're uncovered so loiter for the fresh ones. Little boxes of cereal, yoghurts and fresh fruit were all good

At £99 for the night with breakfast included, right on the edge of the 'Ditch and minutes from Old Street tube, there was little to not recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eugénie K

Dear Eugenie K,
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. I'm pleased you liked the hotel. Thank you also for the good feedback on breakfast - we will take note of this.
Glad you liked the area and i hope to see you back at the hotel soon

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Well located in Shoreditch just a few minutes walk from Old Street Tube (remember EXIT 2) in a impressively vibrant area. Great bars, clubs, cafes, restaurant all around (Rivington Bar & Grill has the best ever scotch eggs!).

Although this is probably classified as a budget hotel chain I found this one to have everything that I needed and none of the extras that I didn't. The bed was comfortable and the room very clean. We were given a room on the top floor facing away from the main street so it was very quiet. OK there wasn't a complete wardrobe (hanging space only), slippers and a full range of toiletries (universal shower gel/shampoo fixed to the wall) but there was kettle, hair drier by a mirror, wifi and power sockets by the bed.

Breakfast is included but beware - it's free for a reason. It is basic and if you're a full English or pastry connoisseur I recommend that you go to one of the many cafes/restaurants nearby. However it's does the job if required.

On the whole very impressed - just avoid the croissants/mini Danish at breakfast!

1  Thank KarenJSC

Dear KarenJSC
Thanks for your review on the hotel. I'm pleased you liked the hotel and the area. Guests do say our pastries and croissants are lovely, but I do take your comments on board and we will investigate this.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights recently on a business trip. You really can't fault the location, it's only a 3 or 4 minute walk from Old Street tube station, which was perfect for me.

When I arrived at the hotel, I did have to ask to change rooms as I was initially allocated a room which had an interconnecting door. Seeing as I was travelling alone, I wasn't comfortable with this but the very helpful receptionist changed my room for me; no questions asked, which was brilliant.

The new room was really clean and spacious, and the bathroom was lovely, very
modern. The bed was comfy and I had 3 great nights sleep! I didnt eat in the hotel, purely my choice, so I can't comment on the food.

Overall, this was a really good hotel, in a great location, and I would definitely recommend it. In fact, I've already booked again for another business trip next week!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank HelenandDave_13
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear HelenandDave_13
Thank you for such a great positive review - I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Travelling by London Midland first class rail from Northampton where a new station is in construction on the site of Northampton's ancient castle on Thursday afternoon, 23rd. January,brought me punctually and comfrtably to Euston station which was the starting point
of my Triangle, Euston - Old Street - Moorgate, with each point of the Triangle part of my
visitor's package for two days. A black cab from the rather smelly underground taxi rank
took me on a straight run to 275 Old Street, Holiday Inn Express. Fare: £11.30p. A very swift
check-in, room 538, and then off on the next part of my Triangle, namely, Armourers & Brasiers' Hall, 81 Coleman Str., opposite The Globe pub, Moorgate. The Hall is the H. Q. of one of the oldest guilds in London, Founded over 550 years ago. The Hall survived heavy
bombing during WWII, where neighbouring buildings all succumbed to The Blitz. A photo
records the scene. MY visit was to attend an annual dinner in their excellent dining hall.
The reason for my Triangle is that a visitor can walk from 275 Old Street to Morrgate at
a leisurely pace within twenty five minutes without a taxi, or bus. Importantly on the route
to Moorgate the visitor passes the John Wesley founding church, which is well worth a visit
as it brings complete silence from the busy Old Street traffic. It is a place for peace and
quiet thought during one's busy life style.
I did the reverse of The Triangle by taxi from Moorgate - Old Street in the late evening then
on check-out a taxi to Esuton to complete the last leg of that Old Triangle I have used for
over a decade, or so. Each visit reveals changes to London City, but one thing never
changes and that is the heavy traffic, but it is still nice to chat with the Black Cab drivers, who
have a wide knowledge of London City and its immediate environs.
I can thorughly recommend the Holiday Inn express for anybody who wants things to be
handled professionally with speed. Breakfast was good value for money and was included in
my price of £149. per night. A late night beverage cost £7. for a brandy night cap. Staff are
pleasant, smile, and know their job. A good breakfast is always a good start to a day when
travelling on the Old Triangle, with Time of the Essence. My return journey to Nortthampton
was punctual and comfrtable during bad weather. No delays. Ticket price £63. first-class.
I look forward tom using the new railway and bus stations at Northampton. A good hub
for doing business and for ongoing travel to the Midlands, or East Anglia.
Geoff Hamilton, editor, anglo-nordic-times? LOOK NORDIC. THursday/friday 23-24. January
2014.

Room Tip: always check for trouser press, or coffee/tea making facility. and make sure you check your fire ex...