“Ideal Hotel for short stay”

Holiday Inn Express London City
Ranked #483 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Edinburgh
“Ideal Hotel for short stay”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel and found it to be ideal for our stay. Room was clean and modern. Only complaint - the bed is a bit small. Breakfast was fine. It is well located for underground into centre of London which is only 2 stops from Kings Cross. Lots of shops and pubs around. overall Ideal for a visit to London.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed here recently with my Mum and we were thrilled with our twin room. For the area it is easily the best value hotel around, it's very close to Shoreditch High Street and also to Old Street station.

The rooms were average sized for London, sparse but nicely decorated with good beds (not too soft) staff friendly and the 'free breakfast' (I think it's clearly built into the rate) was a pleasant surprise. I had thought it might be terrible but it wasn't at all. Limited hot food but plenty to eat overall. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Nice and simple, spacious and clean room, friendly staff, Great value for money, Comfortable, clean and friendly hotel, stay there for a week for business purpose, breakfast had limited choices........

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
South East
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I think this has to be one of the better value hotels in London in my experience. The location is really good being 5 minutes walk from Old Street. I stayed 1 night in order to attend a function on Shoreditch High Street and found the hotel very well placed.

Check in was efficient and friendly and the staff were able to give effective directions. I was on the top floor and had a nice sized room. The room had everything needed for 1 night. When I reported that the television remote had no batteries the reception staff sent someone with a replacement within 5 minutes which was impressive.

The bed was exceptionally comfortable and I had a really good night's sleep. The room was very clean as was the bathroom and well kept. Towels were of a decent quality and there was sufficient hot water. I would agree with previous comments about the soundproofing. I don't think I heard a thing all night.

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable. I would echo comments about the lack of bacon which I think is an essential component of breakfast. That said there was an ample supply of cereal, croissants and tea and coffee, all of which were fine. It doesn't go down in my list of all time great breakfasts but it was acceptable. I noticed that the staff were very conscientious in refilling the baskets when they started to run low.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it. The location is great for Shoreditch or the city. The value for money is excellent as there are enough of the comforts you need and the service was very good.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ArgentineTango
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Good size room with air conditioning decent bed with choice of soft or hard pillows. Pleasant and helpful staff. Good location for city. Breakfast ok but no bacon, scrambled eggs and sausages cooked with pastries a bit dried out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BristolMKH
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We came to London for the weekend, and stayed at this hotel as it was reasonably well located, had good reviews and the price was good.
It is very close to the Tube which made getting around easy. Although not terribly inspiring from outside, inside is great; clean and spacious. Our room (5th floor) was modern and probably recently decorated as it looked immaculate. Bathroom fittings were very modern and all sparkled.
The bed was exceptionally bouncy, but after we got over the shock of any movement setting up a wave effect we slept really well. Sound insulation is great (hotel is very close to a fire station and we didn't hear a thing), air conditioning / heating efficient and the windows opened.
Breakfast was ok, no veggie sausages just meat and no decaff tea bags (no worries there as I had brought my own). Breakfasts are better at Premier Inn I think.
All in all - a great weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicky A
City_General_Manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Martin A
Thank you for your very positive feedback and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make note of your comments on veggie sausages and de-cafe tea and see what we can do. Our breakfast is free to all our guests, unlike some of our competitors who charge.
Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon
wales
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here as close to a course we were on. Excellent quality rooms. Small but functional bathroom with good shower. Comfy bed with choice of pillows - firm, soft. Air con was a bit noisy but effective. Excellent value for money in central London at only £68 per double room per night including breakfast.
Local area vibrant, young people and lots of bars with few restaurants. Eventually found a very nice restaurant. Would advise booking ahead as every where was very busy even just after Christmas.
Breakfast was pretty good, usual fare but no bacon, only sausage. Coffee tasted a bit weird - from machine.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sazoscar
Dear sazoscar
Thank you for your great review - I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay. We have had work done on our AC system so can you please email us with more information about this and we can look info it for you at gsmcity@holidayinnlondon.com