“Good central hotel for work”

Holiday Inn Express London City
Ranked #482 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for work as had two meetings local to the hotel.

It's within easy reach of public transport and the rooms are clean, quiet and have all the facilities you need.

Shower was lovely and it looks as if the bathroom as been recently refurbished.

Staff were friendly and were quick at checking in and checking out. I did not go down for the free breakfast as was in a rush so can't comment on this.

Lots of places to eat within walking distance and some nice bars locally.

Overall a good hotel in a good location and a very good nights sleep.

Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express London City

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed the weekend of 5th to 7th July while visiting the O2 arena for the Monty Python show. The hotel was clean, welcoming and efficient, plus realistically priced. Breakfast was adequate, some of the hot items ran out quickly and staff were slow to re-fill them but there were plenty of cold alternatives. The positioning of the breakfast bar at the narrowest part of the room did cause quite a bit of a crush as guests tried to pass it find a table then come back to get some food.
The rooms were comfortable and the aircon worked.
recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family (2 adults and 2 teenage children) stayed in this hotel July 4th - 6th. We arrived a few hours early and were relieved to find a locked luggage room where we could leave our suitcases (each suitcase having its own 2 part tag - 1 part tied to the case, the other part given to us to match up when collecting the cases).

The desk staff were very very helpful and made us feel very welcome. They politely answered all of our questions with ease.
We left to visit a local restaurant and returned a few hours later when our room keys were ready.

The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable with a choice of soft/hard pillows. The bathroom was spotless and the towels were in good shape.
We went to reception and picked up an ironing board and also a spare shaving kit. They have things like combs and toothbruishes too if needed.
The aircon was a little rattly but to be honest we didnt notice it after 5 minutes, and there were sets of ear plubs left on the bed side tables if needed.
There was very little noise at night from residents and traffic.

The breakfast was one of the best i have had at any hotel chain. It is a buffet style and is included in the room price.
You have a great choice from cereal, fruit, cooked breakfast, continental etc etc.
The only down side is that after 8:30-ish it gets very busy and you may have to wait for a table for a few minutes.

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from old street tube station and also has a Sainsburys local across the street.

Wifi in the rooms is a little slow, but i didn't go to London to sit in a room on the internet, it was fast enough to check emails and facebook though.

I cannot praise this hotel enough. For the price i paid for 2 nights, i would have been content paying that for each night.

I am looking forward to my next trip to london already, partly because i plan on booking into this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and it was peaceful
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I give it 4 stars because I enjoyed my stay here which was about a week and a half ago. It was a decent room not as bad as I thought it would be. At the same point who is staying inside the hotel when visiting London? Even if you were on business most of the time you are not in the hotel either. To be honest prior to going to London on business/personal I was skeptical about staying at this hotel. I will give you ONE thing as to what is wrong with it and just one. The A/C is too loud. Yes it makes noise at night and yes that is why they leave ear plugs in the room. Honestly it did not bother me at all. I was so tired by the time I got back to the hotel I was grateful for air conditioning period and I just fell asleep.

So here are all the Pros.
1. Every day there is a decent breakfast. From yogurts, to fruits, to different breads, to eggs, sausage, beans, to cereral. Fantastic coffee machine with my different kinds of hot drinks. Love the Lattes.
2. Very close to alot of great restaurants, fast food/takeaway and night life in the area. You have to walk around this area. It is quite lively if you like that sort of thing.
3. Super close to the Old Street station. I rarely took the bus and never took any tour on my time off from work. I relied heavily on the tube and it was a treasure being so CLOSE to the station.
4. Sainsbury right across the street- Need a few items from the grocery store/super market. This place was perfect and beyond convenient.
5. Want to go have a drink somewhere? Plenty of pubs to choose from.
6. Staff very nice and helpful.- I needed a local map- no problem. I needed to call a taxi - no problem phone downstairs. I needed to store my suit cases for a few hours while checking out- no problem. You forgot a power converter- no problem you can get one there.
7. Staff also cleaned every day (even though I never asked for it) so I left a tip of thanks.
8. Bed was fine and I slept great. The shower was also quite nice.

I would 100% stay at this hotel again.
I hope the prices do not go up!!!!!!
I actually attempted to say there for 3 more days but they were booked so I need to move to another hotel.

PS. They have liquid soap, hair shampoo in one liquid container. If you do not like that go across the street to get soap or bring your own soap. I brought my own.

1  Thank sevensevenseven
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I got a bargain rate when I booked this room, so it was a really good room with a good breakfast at a reasonable rate by London standards. It is close to the Old Street Underground station and on convenient bus routes, which we took to the British Museum and St. Paul's.

There are a couple of little grocery stores and a post office nearby, as well as a number of restaurants within walking distance. There was a little lounge with a few beer taps in the hotel, but we didn't go there. The staff were friendly, and we were able to leave our luggage in one of two locked rooms after checking out, so that we could continue to explore, before we moved closer to the airport for our last night.

We ended up in a handicap-accessible room. The open shower design was a bit messy, but at least it wasn't cramped. I would like to note that there were a couple of things that wouldn't be very accommodating. First, the light switch for the bathroom was located next to the room entrance, so one has to go past the bathroom door to turn on the lights. It did have a switch there for the helpful nightlight, too. The other thing I noticed concerned the hairdryer. First, the switch to turn on the outlet that it is plugged in to is on the baseboard, which could be problematic for certain individuals to reach. Second, the hairdryer is one that requires a button to be held down the entire time to make it work. This is difficult for anyone with poor hand strength, including those with carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis.

The room and bathroom were both clean, but there were a few mold spots on the bathroom ceiling. Also, we only had bath towels; no hand towel was provided. The bed and pillows were comfortable, but they had a sheet-encased comforter on the bed, so it was too hot with it and too cold without. So, overall, we had a good experience here, but a few improvements could be made.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel's location is good - a short walk from Old Street tube station, a longer walk to Liverpool Street which is much better connected, and masses of cheap eateries nearby.

The hotel is sandwiched between two roads and is functional rather than beautiful. My room on the 5th floor had air conditioning, a very good shower and a large sofa. The bed was on the soft side but as I was alone this did not matter. The room was clean as were the other areas of the hotel. The lift was slow and I took to using the stairs which were as they should be, clear of any obstruction and well lit.

Probably due to the attractions elsewhere, the bar and dining area were empty in the evening. I had an acceptable but slightly highly priced meal but the service was very slow. An added inconvenience was the inability to charge the meal to the room as I had not said that I wished to use my card for other the cost of the room. Breakfast was satisfactory.

The reception staff that I spoke to did not have a full grasp of English, not a problem but, having never booked into a hotel which had a policy of limiting the use of a credit card, led to a misunderstanding.

Security might be a problem as there was easy access to the stairs from one of the streets.

Prices of hotels do change but at GBP299 for a bed and breakfast is presumably what the market will bear in Wimbledon fortnight. I have stayed in some Intercontinental hotels for this price.

Overall, a good place for a night or two but, as they say, nothing to write h one about/

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear admiral44,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am very pleased to know that you found our location and rooms highly commendable. It is always hugely motivating on our end to receive such feedback from our valued guests like you.

However, please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the level of service received may have caused you. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

Again, thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is just north of Liverpool Street station. Good location. Decent sized rooms, good bathrooms, even a decent buffet breakfast. But no gym on site, no AC and at the wrong moment the prices can be outrageous. 289 quid for one night in June, but rooms were in short supply. Functional, ok, but not a great deal at any rate over 200 quid a night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear oransome,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are delighted to read that our location, room quality, and breakfast selections were to your liking. On the other hand, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you had, in particular with the air conditioning system. We are very sorry we do not have an on-site fitness center, but we do have an offsite facility which is approximately 5 minutes away. With regard to the rates, we provide products and services that have competitive rates in the area while simultaneously ensuring that our facilities are well maintained. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated as this is our best resource for improvement. Should you be traveling back to Preston, we look forward to serving you better. Our Manager on Duty will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind Regards,