“Surprisingly good stay - very helpful staff”

Holiday Inn Express London City
Ranked #458 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I booked into this Holiday Inn Express at about 9pm the night before my stay, as I had a last minute meeting crop up. I wasn't expecting much as it was the only hotel available under £300 in zone 1 at such short notice - but I was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is a couple of minutes walk from Old Street tube (exit the underground via 'Subway 1' towards Old Street North) and is in a really up and coming part of the city, with so many great eateries nearby (try Red Dog Saloon, Meat Mission, Breakfast Club, either Vietnamese restaurant or the Korean take away - all great!)

The hotel itself was very clean and seemingly newly decorated, staff were very friendly and helpful, and they have a left luggage service which is great, and a free breakfast - not great quality but free none the less!

My room was on the 3rd floor and was quite large, with lots of handy facilities for a budget chain. The air conditioning works by putting your key in there wall, but it has a fault so it can be quite noisy at random times, it woke me up once at 3am but I popped in the complimentary earplugs next to the apology notice about the noise and I was back to sleep in a flash - it's testament to the hotel that they care enough to provide a professional explanation and earplugs.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, even if it isn't my only choice next time!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank savagenoodles
Write a ReviewReviews (1,349)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife had to have eye surgery at Moorfield Hospital nearby. The staff could not do enough to make our single night stay as comfortable as possible.For example, seeing her discomfort when we came down for dinner, the barman obviously noted that dinning in public would be embarrassing for her,offered to bring our meals up to our room for us, which he did.
The staff were friendly and efficient at all times and very, very helpful.
The room was clean and quiet with very quiet air conditioning (something the Americans can learn from), which was a God-send in the heat . The food better than we had hoped for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing North. The view is not worth mentioning, but it was very quiet for a hotel on...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is generally of a good standard and in a convenient location but the rates can be very high.

Check-in was efficient and staff are pleasant. My room seemed recently refurbished so was in good repair. The bathroom is fine, but very small. I slept well.

Breakfast was not very impressive - the quality of the food was not high. Perhaps it's a cultural difference - the (included) breakfast is usually way more appetizing in hotels in Northern Europe even in modest places with a nightly rate a quarter of this London property. All I ask for is really fresh bread rolls and good coffee, but sadly that's not offered here.

This hotel is fine if you're not paying and you're working nearby, otherwise not great value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank K0lya
Craig P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear K01ya,

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased that your had a good stay with us and that the staff were pleasant and you had an efficient check in. I am glad you liked our rooms as well. I am sorry you did not find our breakfast up to standard. Your comments are very important and they have been passed on to all the relevant departments. Our prices are very competitive due to the location and demand.

Thank you very much for your time.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for work as had two meetings local to the hotel.

It's within easy reach of public transport and the rooms are clean, quiet and have all the facilities you need.

Shower was lovely and it looks as if the bathroom as been recently refurbished.

Staff were friendly and were quick at checking in and checking out. I did not go down for the free breakfast as was in a rush so can't comment on this.

Lots of places to eat within walking distance and some nice bars locally.

Overall a good hotel in a good location and a very good nights sleep.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed the weekend of 5th to 7th July while visiting the O2 arena for the Monty Python show. The hotel was clean, welcoming and efficient, plus realistically priced. Breakfast was adequate, some of the hot items ran out quickly and staff were slow to re-fill them but there were plenty of cold alternatives. The positioning of the breakfast bar at the narrowest part of the room did cause quite a bit of a crush as guests tried to pass it find a table then come back to get some food.
The rooms were comfortable and the aircon worked.
recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family (2 adults and 2 teenage children) stayed in this hotel July 4th - 6th. We arrived a few hours early and were relieved to find a locked luggage room where we could leave our suitcases (each suitcase having its own 2 part tag - 1 part tied to the case, the other part given to us to match up when collecting the cases).

The desk staff were very very helpful and made us feel very welcome. They politely answered all of our questions with ease.
We left to visit a local restaurant and returned a few hours later when our room keys were ready.

The rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable with a choice of soft/hard pillows. The bathroom was spotless and the towels were in good shape.
We went to reception and picked up an ironing board and also a spare shaving kit. They have things like combs and toothbruishes too if needed.
The aircon was a little rattly but to be honest we didnt notice it after 5 minutes, and there were sets of ear plubs left on the bed side tables if needed.
There was very little noise at night from residents and traffic.

The breakfast was one of the best i have had at any hotel chain. It is a buffet style and is included in the room price.
You have a great choice from cereal, fruit, cooked breakfast, continental etc etc.
The only down side is that after 8:30-ish it gets very busy and you may have to wait for a table for a few minutes.

The hotel is a 2 minute walk from old street tube station and also has a Sainsburys local across the street.

Wifi in the rooms is a little slow, but i didn't go to London to sit in a room on the internet, it was fast enough to check emails and facebook though.

I cannot praise this hotel enough. For the price i paid for 2 nights, i would have been content paying that for each night.

I am looking forward to my next trip to london already, partly because i plan on booking into this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and it was peaceful
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I give it 4 stars because I enjoyed my stay here which was about a week and a half ago. It was a decent room not as bad as I thought it would be. At the same point who is staying inside the hotel when visiting London? Even if you were on business most of the time you are not in the hotel either. To be honest prior to going to London on business/personal I was skeptical about staying at this hotel. I will give you ONE thing as to what is wrong with it and just one. The A/C is too loud. Yes it makes noise at night and yes that is why they leave ear plugs in the room. Honestly it did not bother me at all. I was so tired by the time I got back to the hotel I was grateful for air conditioning period and I just fell asleep.

So here are all the Pros.
1. Every day there is a decent breakfast. From yogurts, to fruits, to different breads, to eggs, sausage, beans, to cereral. Fantastic coffee machine with my different kinds of hot drinks. Love the Lattes.
2. Very close to alot of great restaurants, fast food/takeaway and night life in the area. You have to walk around this area. It is quite lively if you like that sort of thing.
3. Super close to the Old Street station. I rarely took the bus and never took any tour on my time off from work. I relied heavily on the tube and it was a treasure being so CLOSE to the station.
4. Sainsbury right across the street- Need a few items from the grocery store/super market. This place was perfect and beyond convenient.
5. Want to go have a drink somewhere? Plenty of pubs to choose from.
6. Staff very nice and helpful.- I needed a local map- no problem. I needed to call a taxi - no problem phone downstairs. I needed to store my suit cases for a few hours while checking out- no problem. You forgot a power converter- no problem you can get one there.
7. Staff also cleaned every day (even though I never asked for it) so I left a tip of thanks.
8. Bed was fine and I slept great. The shower was also quite nice.

I would 100% stay at this hotel again.
I hope the prices do not go up!!!!!!
I actually attempted to say there for 3 more days but they were booked so I need to move to another hotel.

PS. They have liquid soap, hair shampoo in one liquid container. If you do not like that go across the street to get soap or bring your own soap. I brought my own.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business