“Very good value”

Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
Ranked #423 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed for New Years Eve 2013. Good service, nice warm welcome, functional and fine room. did the job just fine and close to everything. The service was the stand out of the experience - very nice people who were happy to answer questions and, most importantly in London, we felt welcome!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Francesco M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Cliffo33

Thank you so much for writing a review following your stay at the hotel. It is such a pleasure to read your comments about our friendly and supportive team. I have already shared your words of appreciation with the team here and I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit London.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Hotel review

Although this was my first time at a Holiday Inn Express, I think you know what you're getting because you're buying a brand as opposed to a property.  It's very basic but clean and functional.  The room is small - ok for one person but hard for more (and this was an average room).  The staff was very friendly and helpful at every turn  My issues were with noise from everywhere but the street (which is busy and noise is to be expected).

1.  There is construction next door because the hotel is expanding (not because someone else is doing construction that can't be controlled).  They really should take the adjoining rooms out of service. It is 6 days a week starting at 8am and this is misery, especially if you've just come off a redeye flight.

2.  The radiator had to be fully on or fully off not to make terrible clanging and vibrating noises. So, it was sauna or icebox - or noise.

3.  The light fixture in the entry buzzed loudly with vibration at random times (607 if management is reading).  It looked as if they'd tried to fix this by jamming toilet tissue into the rim. It was both ineffective and I suspect a fire hazard.

Finally, I had some worries about security (esp. as a woman staying alone).  I noticed that there wasn't always someone at the front desk when I came in and the elevator is a quick turn after the main door - even an inattentive but present person might not notice someone duck in from the street at go into the elevator. The elevator doesn't require any pass-key security. So, anyone from the street could easily get onto any floor of the hotel to break into rooms or assault people. I think the security setup could be improved with a structural change to the lobby and a card key system for the elevator.

Basically - it's a standard Holiday Inn Express with exactly that cost/comfort equation but they have some specific issues that they could and should address.

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the street are quieter because the street is very busy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Francesco M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear NYC304,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am sorry to read that the hotel did not match your expectations due to the external noise. With regards to the maintenance faults you reported I would like to inform you that they have been already rectified by our maintenance team. In addition to this I take onboard your comment regarding your feeling of security inside the hotel hotel and although we have already enhanced our security level with the installations of additional cctv cameras(including one by the ground floor lift entrance) I will share your concern with the front desk team to ensure the reception area is attended at all times. On a separate note I am pleased to read your comments regarding the friendliness of our staff.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

The value of what i paid in relation to what I expect my stay should be, the quality of service, growth potential, value for money, sustenance of present standard. My stay was ok in relation to what I paid for, but also feel, certain areas can be improved upon, guest facilty, the number of tv channels could be improved upon, which could be added at the time of bookings,

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Peter d

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased to read that we were up to your expectations and I have already shared your comments with the rest of the team here. Your feedback is very important as it helps us to understand what we are doing right and where we need to improve. Once again thank you for your constructive comments and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Firstly, yes the West End too...More on this later. Holiday Inn Express, you know what you are getting when you book and this one did not disappoint. Most chain hotels have a standard theme and this complied with the Holiday Inn Express standards. Room good, well heated, comfortable, good shower in the bathroom. Staff welcoming and friendly and standard breakfast of course included within the price. Whilst this hotel is only a 5 minute stroll to Tate Modern and the Thames, do not expect views if the river or of any of the south bank sites, not a great issue. Southwark Street is set one street back from the Southbank, there are a couple of restaurants round the corner, as I said Tate Modern and the Globe is 5 minutes away, Borough Market, London Bridge not Tower Bridge) about 15 minutes walk away, a bit longer along the river path. What makes this an ideal base for most of London (if you like to get out and about) is how easy it is to get to all the main areas of London without having the hassle and the price issues of a West End hotel. So we have the Southbank just across the road. The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, London Bridge all accessible to the east by the RV1 bus that stops outside the hotel. Then going in to central London the RV1 goes through Waterloo, Royal Festival Hall, Aldwych and on to Covent Garden (for the theatres and West End) all within 20 minutes. Southwark tube station for Green Park or Greenwich is just around the corner and Blackfriars Bridge station is again just 5 minutes away (the redesign of this station really has improved the accessibility) where trains go to Gatwick, St. Pancras and St. Pauls. Great location, good stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Northanttoanywhere

Thank you for your positive feedback following your stay at the hotel. I am glad you found our central location suitable to your trip requirements and I am pleased to read your comments regarding our friendly staff. I have already passed your comments to the rest of the team and I hope we will have the pleasure to serve you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We went in May last year. Hotel was busy with German and French tourists and I felt like breakfast reflected this. As I don't eat meat, the bread was often used quite early and I spent our break skipping breakfast. My partner, who will eat anything, enjoyed the breakfasts, so it really is down to personal preference.

Rooms were clean and had everything that you would need. Beds comfortable and despite being on the main road, not too much background noise.

Tube is an easy walk away and the tube into the center of London isn't a bad journey.

For sleeping, this hotel has everything you would need. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, I would perhaps spend a little bit more!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear bbbuttercupp,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review further to your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am pleased to read that the hotel was up to your expectations and I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of the team. I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit London.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Great location of the hotel allows you to visit such places on the South bank as Tate Modern, The Globe Theatre and Borough Market and it will take you about 20-25 minutes to walk to Big Ben and Houses of Parliament. Tube station appeared to be in about 5-7 minutes of walking. Rooms are small but clean. We were lucky to have a top floor with a view to the dome of St Paul's Cathedral. Not a big variety of choice on breakfast but the hotel provides hot dishes like eggs and sausages as well as fruits, yoghurts and pastry. We were not disappointed with staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Francesco M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Olgaroz

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following you recent stay at the hotel. I am glad to read that you found our great location suitable to your trip requirements and I will certainly pass your positive feedback to the rest of the team here. I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit London.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Very lose to Tate Modern Gallery, Borough Market and The Globe Theatre,The room was very clean .The continental breakfast was included, also with hot dishes and fresh fruit.
Staff were friendly and helpful, and we appreciated the work of Giorgia and Csaba at the reception that help us with professionality and politeness to manage a problem with a delayed luggage.
I would suggest this hotel to anybody!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Francesco M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear vanja p,

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay with us shared with the TripAdvisor community.

We are here to make our guests happy, and we are thrilled that we have made your stay with us memorable. As we pride ourselves with our staff we are really happy ,when our efforts are recognized and appreciated.I have already shared your kind comments with our staff here who would be more that happy to look after your at our hotel for your next visit to London.

Thank you again for choosing Holiday Inn Express London Southwark and have a fantastic New Year.

Kind Regards,