Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
US$217
  • Pool
US$203
1,119 results
All reviewssouthwark tube stationbeansborough marketsouth bankhi expresstate modernmillennium bridgeglobe theatrejubilee linewalking distancethe sofa bedfree breakfastlondon eyeyogurtst paul's cathedralminute walkclean hotel
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was pleasantly surprised to find this 3 star hotel had so much going for it that I would definately stay again.
I went for two nights in March 2014, and travelled with my work friend and my daughter.
We booked a room suitable for three people.
On arrival we were met with very polite and heipful staff, who took our luggage and secured it for us while we had a browse around, we visited the very nearby Borough foodmarket, which was weel worth a visit.
On returning we were given our luggage and room keys, and were pleasantly surprised with a good sized room with a double bed, and a double sofa bed, which had been made up for us, and we all agreed the beds were very comfortable, we even had a choice of soft or firm pillows, more often associated with a four or five star hotel..
There was tea and coffee making facilities, air con, TV, free wi fi in all rooms, and a very nice bathroom with seperate toilet and walk in shower.
The double glazed windows had additional sliding glass panes to cut out any traffic noise, and we were left complimentary sleep masks and earplugs should you want them.
Unlike travelodge, we were supplied with dove body wash, shampoo, and body lotion, and plenty of fresh white fluffy towels.
The breakfast was served from 730am until 10.30am, and you could just take as much as you wanted of fruit juice, fruit, cereals, scrambled egg, beans, and good quality sausages, also chocolate crossaints, yoghurts, coffee and various teas.

The hotel is in a quiet area of London, less than 10 mins walk of Southwark tube station on the jubilee line, which took us to link up to anywhere we wanted to go, and we went to camden town, covent garden twice, harrods, oxford st, regent street, soho, buckingham palace, for three days and a £20 oyster card each was sufficient for all our travel,

We ate in local pubs five mins walk from the hotel, at prices from £5 to £10 for a meal, also in the next street is a tesco express and sainsburys to bring a tipple back to the room, and the hotel were pleasedto give us glasses of ice from the bar with no questions, I would be back, great value, and service

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jojohanna
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Jojohanna

Thank for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. It is great to see that the hotel was up to your expectations and you found the staff friendly and helpful. I have already shared your positive feedback with rest of the team here and I hope will choose us again next time you visit London.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed there 2 nights while travelling though SE England. 15 minutes walk from London Bridge train station. Poor bus connexions to central London. Not a really nice location and still pretty Noisy at night. Still great friendly and helpfull staff, to make your accomodation easy.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear SandyD

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read that you were not fully satisfied with the location of the hotel. We are in the very hearth of Southbank and from the bus stop located just 1 minute walk from the hotel you can catch the RV1 bus which takes you to the West End in just 15 minutes. On a separate note I am glad that you found our team friendly and helpful and I will certainly share your feedback with them. Many thanks again for your comments and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel is good for the price, in a great location which is very accesible. The nearest tube station is only ten minutes away - and you can easily walk to the Southbank Centre in under fifteen minutes.

We were given a very warm welcome on arrival, and allowed into our room three hours early (we were originally just going to leave our luggage). The rooms are basic, but we shared one between three of us and the sofa bed was extremely comfortable. There is currently building work taking place behind the hotel - but they are very good in keeping to their times and not starting work in unsociable hours. Two improvements which could be made to the room:

1. The pillows were extremely hard (even the one labelled soft wasn't very comfortable) and my two friends had trouble sleeping on them.

2. The bathroom sink area needs a good bleach, there are marks left from cups/bottles etc. which can easily be removed and it wouldn't cause as bad an impression! Otherwise the room was spotless.

Breakfast was the same as in most Holiday Inn Express hotels - sausages, beans and egg, along with pastries, juices, cereal, fruit and yoghurts. We enjoyed it and it set us up for the day! The buffet was self service, but the waiting staff were very efficient in cleaning up.

Check out was friendly but rushed, so we weren't given the opportunity to mention the two very minor concerns above.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesn't face the building work if you plan on sleeping in.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear RAS48

Thank your for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am pleased to see that we were up to your expectation and that our location was suitable to your trip requirements. I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of the team here and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

For the price of this hotel I expected something redeeming about it! I didn't get it!

The beds are rock hard and uncomfortable, so a mattress topper on them wouldn't go a miss!

There is an overwhelming smell of something in the hotel and I don't quite know what it is? Dust possibly? Not sure

Now here's the killer, I stopped 4 nights due to work and the location is great, there isn't a huge amount apart from business in the area but my room was situated next to the building project that is going on next door and a busy road. In most hotels I have stopped before with this issue they have had triple glazed windows or something along them lines to cancel the noise but not here. So every morning of my stay I have been awoken at 6 a.m by some form of noise! To make matters worse inside the hotel every so often there is a loud noise which sounds like the boiler it heater, again not sure what that is just know it's loud.

And for breakfast, well good job it's free!

So in summary the location for my work is perfect but next time I'll pay the extra £20 a night and stop at novotel around the corner, they have sky in the rooms and look a bit nicer also!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gareth B
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Gareth B

Thank your for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel.
Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the noise experience that you encountered due to the surrounding local building sites, which are currently in operation outside of the hotel. There are a number of building developments currently and on occasions we do have noise emanating from these areas which affect the hotel and surrounding areas. Whilst this situation is out of the actual control of the hotel, we do try to maintain a good relationship with the local site contractors to overcome any localised difficulties that may arise.
Most of the sites start work at 8am and we have an agreement via the local council, that this is the earliest time that any site will start any noisy works. The team are aware that any feedback related to this are passed to the hotel management to follow this up and I have made contact with the respective site operator’s to reiterate this, in turn, we will keep a record of this and notify the local planning department at Southwark Council to support this action.
Many thanks for your constructive feedback and I hope you will restore faith in the Holiday Inn Express brand in the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel is perfectly fine but nowhere near anywhere! It is some distance from main bus routes, railway stations, tube stations. It is on a main road however with heavy traffic early til late. There are very few places to eat nearby as it is not near to anywhere. The hotel is clean and well looked after and staff were really nice. Breakfast was OK, help yourself arrangement. Don't expect to me near the sights but it is probably reasonably priced as a result.

Room Tip: back of hotel away from A3200 road
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear AdrianH1967

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am disappointed to read the our location was not suitable to your travel needs. We usually get extremely positive comments from our guests regarding the hotel location due to its vicinity to some of London's major attractions such as London Eye. Houses of Parliament, Tate Modern and Tower Bridge. Many thanks again and I hope you will choose Holiday Inn Express again in the not distant future.

Kind regards.