“Good value for money stay.”

Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
Ranked #428 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Wakefield
“Good value for money stay.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed for a family break in London over the bank holiday weekend. The hotel is in a great location between Blackfriars and Southwark tube stations. Over the bridge there are lots of restaurants opposite St Paul's Cathedral. Hotel on the doorstep for the Tate Modern. The hotel was fantastic value for money, despite being over £100 per night it was loads cheaper than any of the equivalent Premier Inns etc. We thought it was good value given it was the bank holiday. Rooms are spacious and clean, the only thing that let it down was the bed, extremely uncomfortable, it was very thin and could feel the springs etc. It would have been a 5 otherwise. Breakfast is fantastic, good selection and if we had been paying for a family of 4 every morning it would have been an expensive trip! Get down early as on a weekend it gets really busy and there can be a fight for tables. The staff at the hotel are excellent, my daughter had an accident during the night and fresh sheets were brought up within 5 minutes, the staff couldn't do enough for us. The lift is very small and slow and it is impossible to use at peak times, but use it as an opportunity to take the stairs and get some exercise. Overall we would definitely recommend and will probably go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear SarahVause

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following you recent stay at the hotel. It is great to see that you enjoyed our convenient location and helpful staff. At Holiday Inn Express we strive to delivering a guest experience which is Simple, Smart, Spot on and I am glad that you felt our product and service was good value for money. I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the team here and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Lancashire
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Clean rooms, comfortable beds, a fair breakfast. Good location re: the underground. Helpful staff on check out. . We had a disabled room, which gave us a bigger room and a good sized shower. All in all, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The disabled rooms give a larger room and a large shower/wet room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LancashireBells21
Dear LancashireBells21

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased to read that we were up to you expectations and that you appreciated our bedroom product. The comments we receive from our valued guests like you are very important to us as they help us understanding what we are doing right and where we need to improve. Many thanks again and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Deputy General Manger
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the third HIE I stay in London and they all really look the same, but they differ in small details which for me really make all the difference.
This hotel has the great pro that is the location, it is walking distance from Southwark tube station, Black Frias train station (great plus if you are going to Gatwick like me) and off course walking distance to South bank. Central London is also close by and if you are a walker like me you can do it in less than an hour.
Breakfast is good, however the plates, mugs and silverware were not always very clean, had to return some items because they had stains or even food marks.
The room is the normal HIE, furniture was in good condition, bathroom is tiny and dark (unfortunately all HIE I stayed in London are the same).
The only thing that I really did not like was the daily cleaning. I left a couple of things on top of the desk (nothing of value, bag of chips, glass of water) and noticed that in 6 days they never moved an inch, including some chip dust that stayed there until I left. One day I accidentally left my PJs on the bed and returned to see a completely crumpled PJs on top of the bed. Usually when it happens in other hotels, the cleaning person is nice enough to fold it, so I can guess it was possibly threw to the floor during the bed making.
Apart from that the staff was nice every time I approached them, they offered me breakfast when I arrived too early for check in and tried their best to get a room as soon as possible for me.
By what it cost me I was expecting more, it was expensive because of the location, but it could be better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear TPietscher

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased to read that you found our central location suitable to your trip requirements. I am sorry to read your cleanliness comments and I have already discussed your feedback with breakfast and housekeeping teams for corrective action. Your feedback is very important to us as it helps us understanding what we are doing right and where we need to improve. Many thanks again for your constructive review and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were allocated a brand new room which was fantastic - Excellent TV with full choice of channels and the shower in the bathroom we very powerful not the usual dribble. Breakfast was busy but very well stocked and it was HOT!

Staff were very helpfull and they have luggage drop off too!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Richard K
Dear Richard K

Thank you so much for your five star review following your stay at the hotel. I am delighted that you really enjoyed our bedroom product and it is great to see that you have been well looked after by our staff. I have already shared your great feedback with rest of the team here and I hope you will choose us again next time you visit London.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in April as a base for a weekend of sightseeing, shopping, and sightseeing. The hotel is clean, the staff friendly and the location is great.

The only negative is he breakfast. The food and drink are poor quality, served cold, and the tables are generally dirty. I suggest visiting the cafe over the road.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear John R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the hotel. I am pleased to see that you found our location convenient to your needs and have already shared your kind words with them. I am sorry that our breakfast was below your expectation and I will certainly discuss your feedback with the breakfast team to ensure we can improve the quality and service of our breakfast offering. Many thanks again for your constructive feedback and I hope you will give us another chance next time you visit London.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Check in was quick and easy, staff were friendly and helpful. The gentleman who checked us in asked us where we were planning on visiting that evening and gave us a map.

Room was a decent size with fast working air con - which was needed on a hot weekend! Our room was slightly noisy from the traffic, upon investigation it seemed the double glass shutter was broken and open slightly which was letting in the road noise. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you would like a quiet nights sleep.

Breakfast was equally as good, with far more choice than I had expected there would be. Cereals, toast, pastries, scrambled eggs, baked beans to name a few.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. A couple of minutes walking and you are next to the River Thames on Bankside with a gorgeous view of St Pauls Cathedral and the Millenium Bridge. All in all, a lovely weekend!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rickers86
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Rickers86

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on this platform following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am delighted that we succeeded in our goal of providing a Simple, Smart, Spot On experience. Location is certainly a great plus and I am pleased that you enjoyed the vibrant Southbank area during your weekend in London. Many thanks again and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Helsinki
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The hotel is located on Southwark Street, very close to Southwark tube station and Tate Modern, which is very convenient. The rooms are large and spacious, but the bed is not comfortable (my back ached each morning). The beds should be replaced immediately, since sleep quality is not good. The breakfast at the hotel is very good and the ladies who take care of it are very helpful and friendly. Hotel staff are also very serviceminded and ready to help. The hotel has only one elevator, which is not very convenient. If they replace the beds, I will come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not facing Southwark Street, more quiet during the night.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lohel

Thank you so much for your feedback of your recent stay at the hotel. It is great to see that our location was suitable to your trip requirements and I have already shared with your positive comments regarding the breakfast with the team here. I am sorry to hear that you found the beds to be uncomfortable, your feedback is very important to us since it helps us understanding what we are doing right and where we need to improve. Many thanks again and I hope you will choose Holiday Inn Express again in the not too distant future.