Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
1,106 results
All reviewssouthwark tube stationbeansborough marketsouth bankhi expresstate modernmillennium bridgeglobe theatrejubilee linewalking distancethe sofa bedfree breakfastlondon eyeyogurtst paul's cathedralminute walkclean hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I spent 1 night here over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the find.

For an express style hotel, I found the rooms more than adequate for a short stay.

They lacked in wardrobe space and luxuries but they did have facilities for making hot drinks and an efficient room controlled air con, which was very welcome this past weekend !

The staff were pleasant and efficient and the breakfast was great.

Parking could be an issue if arriving by car but the hotel is well situated for public transport connections. There are a number of restaurants & bars on the doorstep and a few supermarkets if you want to buy products for the room.

I have stayed in both the Novotel and the Mercure nearby and whilst the rooms in those hotels are a little better appointed, for value for money, the Holiday Inn wins hands down.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EuroTraveller43
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear PatrickStephen,

Thank your for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. It is good to see that you are satisfied with our bedrooms and service provided. I have already shared your comments with the team here and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel itself was alright, close to Borough market and St. Paul's cathedral. The staff knew nothing of the area itself or where the nearest place was to receive tourist information. They were difficult to understand and do not provide adequate information. You are better off asking a local or going to the tourist information center across the street from St. Paul's cathedral. Very frustrated, because I am a tourist from out of town and had a limited amount of time. The staff told me to look on the computer instead of helping me plan my stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank megand09
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear megand09

Thank you for taking the time to write a feedback of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am disappointed to read that the staff was not helpful and knowledgeable. Please rest assured that this is not the usual standard of service we offer to our valued guest as we usually get extremely positive feedback about our front desk team. I will certainly share your comments with them to address the service shortfalls you have highlighted in your review and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future,

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was good for a
Holiday Inn Express. It feels like the rooms could do with minor refurbishment but they certainly aren't bad. The room I stayed in was at the end of a wing and was consequently quiet. Breakfast is a self service buffet, with douwe egberts coffee machines and a good selection of food. It's approximately 5 mins from Southwark underground and the river is easily within walking distance.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ianedmunds

Dear Ianedmunds

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am glad that you are satisfied with our service and facilities provided. I will share your comments with the rest of the team here and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were visiting the Royal Festival Hall for our sons graduation, so this venue was ideal . Also it's close proximity the river on a warm summer's evening was a bonus. The staff on the desk were excellent throughout our stay. The rooms, whilst not large , contained all we needed for our brief stay and the furniture and fittings looked reasonable new. For those visiting the Tate Modern it's just a two minute walk from this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Withybedwelsh

Thank you for your great comments. I am pleased to read that we managed to exceed your expectations and I have already shared your positive feedback with the team here. Please recommend our hotel and I hope you will choose us again next time you visit London.

DeputyGeneral Manager

Reviewed 18 July 2014

For some reason, the website and staff members fail to mention the fact that there are two convenient underground stations - Southwark and Blackfriars. There are also two bus lines which pass by the hotel.
The first room we got had a broken toilet and a window that wouldn't shut, so the receptionist immediately sent us to a room in the new wing. This room was very nice. The bed was comfortable, the shower was great, the tv had a lot of choices and the air conditioner was fairly quiet.
The underground parking lot will surely be very convenient once it's remodeled and reopened, but for now it is not usable, and if you have a car, you'd probably be better off in a different hotel. The National Theatre and Southbank Centre are within close walking distance. The street life there is quite interesting, with buskers and performers and all sorts of food. The Tate Modern is even closer.
We went to two West End evening performances, and had no trouble returning to the hotel by public transportation. We also had no trouble getting to the hotel by underground from Heathrow.
The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a bit sparse, but included almost everything a full English breakfast should include, plus the items normally included in a Continental breakfast.
I found out that the eggs are not powdered, but do taste a bit different. The cook mixes fresh eggs with milk, and then puts the whole thing in a microwave oven. I tried them on several different days, and they always had the same taste, which I put down to their being microwaved.
There are no safes in any of the rooms. However, if you want to store valuables, the front desk has some safes the size of shoeboxes which are convenient for safeguarding items such as passports or jewelry.
Although the price is high given the facilities offered, this is a good choice for a tourist without a car who wishes to spend a few days in London.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new wing (opened one month ago) are larger and nicer,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daveed S

Dear Daveed S

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. Your feedback is very important to us and it helps us understanding what we are doing right and where we need to improve. I will certainly share your comments with the rest of the team here and I hope you will choose us again on your next trip to London.