“A great place for somewhere to rest!”

Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark
Ranked #457 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel was the best value for money this close to london. Price included complimentary breakfast. About a 20 minute walk to the eye or a 10 minute walk to the tube station. Staff were friendly and helpful and allowed us to leave our bags in a locked room until our check in time so that we could have longer in london. A great place to stay if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep after a busy day. I would come back if I were to stay in london again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear liv1990

Thank you so much for your great review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. It is a pleasure to see that you had such a great stay and I will certainly share your positive comments with the team here. Please keep recommending us and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark

Reviewed 7 August 2014

A typical Holiday Inn, very basic fittings but at £129 per night it's unacceptable.

Check in was a joke with the most incompetent and unpleasant staff I have ever encountered. My company always pre-authorizes the company card for my travels, Despite having sent it by both fax and email this hotel managed to have no record of it. If that wasn't bad enough the staff then demanded my credit card, telling me that no card no bed!

I have experienced missing card information before but the hotel ALWAYS takes care of the issue. When I did present my card (having been informed that they would only take for one night) they managed to screw up the payment by the incorrect use of the card machine. This required that I call the bank to resolve their mistake and then, when they did get the process correctly, charged me nearly £800. Another issue that had to be rectified.

After speaking to the day manager the following day she was so keep to get the money that she phoned my travel consultant at 2:00 am, despite my telling her of the time difference. You can imagine the grief that caused me.

Bad staff reflects bad management, here there is clearly a massive problem with both management and training.

The room is very basic, with a flat screen TV mounted to the wall in a position that makes it impossible to view it from the bed. Perhaps management should try the rooms before they decide where to place TVs.

The room is double glazed and needs to be, open the window and the combined street and pedestrian traffic noise makes you feel as if you are a race track.

The lift is tiny and the response time is very slow.

The only saving grace occurred when I checked out early, the member of staff who dealt with this was friendly and professional. My recommendation is to make her the manager.

London is an expensive city, this hotel is a disaster.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear CISSPUK

Thank your for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. First of all, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the confusion arisen at the time of check-in surrounding your company payment instructions for your reservation. I am disappointed to read that this issue was not rectified by the staff on duty in a professional manner and please rest assured that I will discuss your feedback with them at length to ensure similar incidents will not repeat again in the future as this is not the usual standard of service we provide.
In addition to this, I am sorry that you feel our bedroom product was inadequate for the price you have paid: your feedback is very important to us and it helps us understanding what we are doing right and where we need to improve.

On a separate note, I would like to thank you for the kind words to our receptionist Gianina who checked you out. I have already shared your comments with her and she is thrilled to see that her hard work is being recognised.

Many thanks again and I hope you will restore faith in the Holiday Inn Express brand in the near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

If you need a base to enjoy the many atttractions in this part of London, then this is an ideal base.
Better than average size rooms compared to many London hotels and at a very reasonable price.
It was hot whilst we were there and the aircon was effective without being intrusively noisey.
A basic breakfast is thrown in but if you want something more elaborate, there are many options in the vicinity - not least Borough Market at the weekends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Climbergb

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased to see that you found our location convenient and that we provided good value for money. I have already shared your feedback with the team here and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I spent 1 night here over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the find.

For an express style hotel, I found the rooms more than adequate for a short stay.

They lacked in wardrobe space and luxuries but they did have facilities for making hot drinks and an efficient room controlled air con, which was very welcome this past weekend !

The staff were pleasant and efficient and the breakfast was great.

Parking could be an issue if arriving by car but the hotel is well situated for public transport connections. There are a number of restaurants & bars on the doorstep and a few supermarkets if you want to buy products for the room.

I have stayed in both the Novotel and the Mercure nearby and whilst the rooms in those hotels are a little better appointed, for value for money, the Holiday Inn wins hands down.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EuroTraveller43

Dear PatrickStephen,

Thank your for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. It is good to see that you are satisfied with our bedrooms and service provided. I have already shared your comments with the team here and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel itself was alright, close to Borough market and St. Paul's cathedral. The staff knew nothing of the area itself or where the nearest place was to receive tourist information. They were difficult to understand and do not provide adequate information. You are better off asking a local or going to the tourist information center across the street from St. Paul's cathedral. Very frustrated, because I am a tourist from out of town and had a limited amount of time. The staff told me to look on the computer instead of helping me plan my stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank megand09
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear megand09

Thank you for taking the time to write a feedback of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am disappointed to read that the staff was not helpful and knowledgeable. Please rest assured that this is not the usual standard of service we offer to our valued guest as we usually get extremely positive feedback about our front desk team. I will certainly share your comments with them to address the service shortfalls you have highlighted in your review and I hope you will stay with us again in the not too distant future,

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was good for a
Holiday Inn Express. It feels like the rooms could do with minor refurbishment but they certainly aren't bad. The room I stayed in was at the end of a wing and was consequently quiet. Breakfast is a self service buffet, with douwe egberts coffee machines and a good selection of food. It's approximately 5 mins from Southwark underground and the river is easily within walking distance.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ianedmunds

Dear Ianedmunds

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express - London Southwark. I am glad that you are satisfied with our service and facilities provided. I will share your comments with the rest of the team here and I hope you will choose us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were visiting the Royal Festival Hall for our sons graduation, so this venue was ideal . Also it's close proximity the river on a warm summer's evening was a bonus. The staff on the desk were excellent throughout our stay. The rooms, whilst not large , contained all we needed for our brief stay and the furniture and fittings looked reasonable new. For those visiting the Tate Modern it's just a two minute walk from this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Francesco M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Withybedwelsh

Thank you for your great comments. I am pleased to read that we managed to exceed your expectations and I have already shared your positive feedback with the team here. Please recommend our hotel and I hope you will choose us again next time you visit London.

DeputyGeneral Manager