“Perfect for visiting the O2”

Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands
Ranked #539 of 1,068 Hotels in London
essex
“Perfect for visiting the O2”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed for one night when visiting the O2. So very convenient being just a short walk to the tube station and then one stop. Receptionist who checked us in and out was extreemly helpful, we were offered a quiet room at the back without having to ask. The room was large with comfortable bed, plenty of pillows and towels. Shower was good and powerful and the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. Breakfast was fine for us, although it is only served until 9.30am weekdays. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as there is a busy road to the front of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed on a recent visit to be close to the O2 arena. It was the perfect location for this, only 1 tube stop away. The hotel is approx 250 yards from Canning Town tube station.
Check in was quick and easy. The room was reasonable size and comfortable. It was great for what we needed.
My only drawback was that the hotel was quite noisy. Not particularly the fault of the hotel. I also didn't think the breakfast was vey good. The food was lukewarm at best and the cheapest ingredients they could find. The bread for toast was the thinnest they could find.
Overall, I would say reasonable. If I had to travel to the O2 again, I would pick this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear jimd1768,

Thank you for your feedback. It is good to know that you like our convenient location and room accommodations. I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not up to the high standards we strive to reach and provide for our guests.I apologize for any discomfort felt caused by the noise and food selections. I appreciate your feedback, as it assists us in monitoring and ensuring we are providing our guests with the high quality service they deserve. We hope if you are ever in the area again, that you give us the chance to provide you a better accommodation.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed here a few times for work and they always did well. Rooms are nice, large and always clean. Staff are always great. Ate at the Italian place just next door, again always good. Car parking it £10 a night, which after spending £100 a night I always find a little excessive, but its London I suppose. Would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Peterborough, England
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Great location and allows me to drive almost to central London, park overnight and then leave the car for the following day whilst in London for conference, having checked out in the morning. A few minutes stroll from Canning Town tube and DLR.

By car, approach South on Silvertown Way. If coming Northbound you'll have to go to roundabout and return. Go past the hotel, then go to the left of the overpass, then immediately left again to get to the car park entrance. When leaving, to go Northbound, go to the left of the overpass then straight on, go right through small link road under the underpass, then right again to effectively double back up the other side of the overpass to rejoin the Northbound carriageway.

Staff were welcoming and helpful.

Breakfast now has some hot items included. Not as wide a selection as a full Holiday Inn, but then the Express is less expensive.

Couple of issues with the room, but not critical. Sink tap was leaking and the shower head rail was loose. However, the room overall was excellent.

I was given option of a rear-facing room but took a front-facing one. Noisier, but not unacceptably, and with a view out towards the O2 arena, Canary Wharf and other London landmarks. I you can't stand any road noise though, ask for a rear-facing room.

Room Tip: Rear-facing rooms are quieter but front-facing rooms have better view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here for one night when I needed to stay in London for work. I was working in Canary Wharf so this hotel is excellent value for a convenient location near Docklands and City Airport.

Its not the best area but the hotel itself is good quality, relatively new , the rooms are good quality, comfortable and clean.

The staff were pleasant and helpful. I actually left something and they helped me locate it and get it back.

BUT don't stay here if you want a reliable and usable wifi service. I am a platinum elite member so get the premium wifi - but this service (even if you can get a connection and its not overloaded) is throttled to 1mb download speed - yes that's right 1mb !!!!

In this day and age that is completely useless and unacceptable - Lord knows what the standard service is like.

As it happens I have 4g mobile service on my phone which was able to get 60mb (yes that's right 60x the download speed of the hotel wifi). So I didn't bother with the hotel wifi and tethered my mobile phone instead.

Here are the speedtest results:

It is unacceptable for Hi-Express to be offering such a dismal wifi service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear MAR-AM-UK,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the internet speeds prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We truly appreciate the perfect scores for Service, Sleep Quality, and Value as well as the high scores for Cleanliness and Rooms. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Stopped in a first floor double room which was comfy and warm,
There was a couple of problems the plug sockets only just worked and the kettle didnt fully boil, the breakfast was dissapointing with only a small selection and the hot items beans sauage scrambled egg wasnt very warm.
Good for a couple of nights not a long stay.

• Stayed December 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The service was very kind.
Location is convenient, right across from the tube/DLR station.

However, I assume the majority of visitors are here for business. Granted, it was relatively cheap, but for them - I think this hotel proves a dull solution, not suitable for a comfortable stay.
There is no safe in the room, mini bar and no amenities. Air conditioning was old/noisy/either too hot or too cold.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Guychuk
Tracie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Royal Docks - Docklands, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guychuk,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Holiday Inn Express, London Royal Docks.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. As an Express Hotel we offer limited services and do not provide in room safes or mini bars in our rooms. Our sister brand The Holiday Inn has a full service offering and have rooms available with the ameneties you are looking for. We do provide the use of safety deposit boxes that are located at our reception desk.
Kind Regards,