“BEWARE OF STAYING IN THIS HOTEL”

Quality Crown Hyde Park
Ranked #705 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Sydney
“BEWARE OF STAYING IN THIS HOTEL”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Quality Crown 8-14 Talbot Square, London W2 1TS, United Kingdom
Beware of staying in this hotel. I pre-paid for a more expensive club twin room and was given a small double room. A price difference of 10 pounds per night.
In July 2013 I prepaid for the club twin room for a three night stay, for two people, for the May Bank Holiday 2014. I requested a twin room on the fourth floor away from the lift because in 2012 I had stayed on level 3 in a club twin room, away from the lift. The hotel confirmed my request saying they would give me a room on the 5th floor away from the lift.

When my husband and I arrived around 2pm we were shown to an extremely small room on the ground floor and outside the window were three huge industrial air conditioning condenser units. I rang reception and told the receptionist I wanted to relocate because I was not happy with the room especially with the a/c outside and explained I had been told I could have a room on the fifth floor away from the lift. I was told the fourth floor was under renovation. I said I would be happy on the 2 or 3 floor and was then told there was nothing available and I had to wait until the next morning to see if a room became available. I went to the reception area three times that afternoon and evening stating I was not happy with the room and wanted another room. At 7am the next morning I went to reception and after the receptionist searched on the computer for 10 minutes he told me there was only one room available that day. This room was a larger club twin located on the first floor directly above the air conditioning units and next to the lift. If I had not prepaid and it had not been a long weekend I would have gone to another hotel. I will never stay in this hotel or any of their other hotels again. Keep in mind if you still want to stay at this hotel they have just started renovating.

The hotel has a basement, with rooms numbered in the seven hundreds, where the small breakfast room is located. From 7 am it is very noisy and frequently you have to wait for people to leave before a table is available. Expect a long wait for the lift.

A staff member tried to convince us to let them book a taxi for us to Heathrow Airport. Taxis are extremely expensive in London and while we are fit we will catch the tube.

I can recommend the Premier Inn at Brighton and the Premier Inn Gatwick Airport, Manor Royal, and I only paid 29 pounds per night because I prepaid in advance. Bus fare from Gatwick airport terminal to the hotel was a little over 2 pounds each way so next time I will stay at the Premier Inn at the terminal. I stayed at the back of both hotels. At the Premier Inn Gatwick, from 8am, there was some low level construction noise from the industrial area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank veronicarose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 15 May 2014

In all honesty this is not a fit place for a hotel , it lacks the basics elements of a decent hotel , rooms got no AC, it is under maintenance , upgrade work going on in the hotel, TV does not work , Internet they said it will be on later on that day , rooms are tiny, for a room that cost 140 pounds you would expect better conditions . Having said that bathroom was clean ,staff are very nice but even for a small stay you are better off somewhere else , I have no idea how this hotel got 8.2 rating on booking.com and it is for sure not a 4 star hotel .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank royal999
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is definitely not a 4 star hotel!...Hotel is having renovations done.I emailed hotel a week before our stay asking if we could have two triple rooms next to each other and they said that would be fine, but upon checking it, they had no record of this and we were told this would not be possible.It does annoy me when you make the effort to email hotels beforehand and nothing is sorted as was supposed to have been.Nevertheless, the hotel was clean and comfortable.Our tv didn't work either. Having looked at the photos on line, I did expect the room to be bigger.The bathroom was small and our shower on the wall didn't work properly,which probably explains why there was a shower attachmentto the bath taps!..We did complain and one of the porters went and checked the shower and said it was ok, but it certainly wasn't. The hotel is in a nice area, Paddington itself, we thought was great, lots of lovely restaurants and because of maintenance work on some of the underground stations and the awful weather,we decided to go to a Greek Restaurant in Paddington, The Kolossi Restaurant in the evening which was lovely and very good value! .Breakfast was good, although very hot in the restaurant as they didn't have their air conditioning work and again, we asked for two tables together and this was not possible. The staff were friendly and helpful despite the above.

Room Tip: Just a 5 minute walk from Paddington station. Our room was on the ground floor, 604, and we did get...
1 Thank TOnyandJane2013
Linforth, General Manager at Quality Crown Hyde Park, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Tony & Jane

Please accept our thanks for writing a review on our hotel

We do apologise for not being able to give you rooms next to eeach other as unfortunately there are no triples next to each other in the building. Again we do apologise for the refurbishment works currently being undertaken. Which when completed will ensure the hotel is of a very high standard throughout.

We would love you and your friend to visit once the hotel is fully completed to expeience the new hotel and service.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

In a nice area of Paddington and reasonably priced. Room was compact, but the bed was huge and very comfortable. Bathroom was tiny though. Chap on reception was ver friendly, but he too pushed a very expensive taxi (with a very rude driver) our way. Concierge with moustache chilled our wine for us, so can't complain! Breakfast wasn't good though. Dining room was boiling hot, the bacon was inedible, the scrambled egg was in chunks and the sausages didn't taste of sausage! But apart from that, we would stay here again, for the comfort of the bed and the location and price.

1 Thank Kathy M
Dear Kathy,

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and we were pleased you found it comfortable and our location excatly what you needed. I can confirm that we do recommend a mini cab company to all guests that give a set price to each job, which in the busy streets of London is the best option. We have taken your comments on breakfast and will investigate further as we do normally get very positive comments on our breakfast and service.

We do hope you consider using our hotel again after our extensive refurbishment.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We've just got back and what can I say, what a let down on previous years. The hotel is having some renovations done, which we weren't told about when booking. The TV didn't work, neither did the heating or the internet, no wonder the receptionist made a big deal of telling us it was free!!! The staff however could not do enough for us, clean towels twice a day and a change of shower curtain, if we asked we got ( except for a working TV n internet). We will be staying there again and for those who say the staff are rude, you DIDNT stay where we did! They were so friendly despite the long hours that they work n nothing was too much trouble

Dear Dencai,

Please accept a massive thank you from my staff and me regards your latest review on our hotel. And it is always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests.

We do apologise for the TV and internet issues which have been resolved and do look forward to seeing you again after our fantastic refurbishment.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect. Near Paddington station, Heathrow is 30 minutes from there. Many restaurants nearby. We stayed in a very spacious triple room.
Be careful with the concierge with a mustache. He likes to push more expensive taxis. We believed on him and paid 32 pounds to go to King's Cross Station. On the way back, with meter rolling and at night, the amount was 13 pounds!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Leila,

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and we were pleased to see you enjoyed many aspects of your stay. I would like to state that as a company we do work with a safe and reliable private hire taxi company who do a have a set pricelist for journeys in London.

Should a guest wishes to use a London black cab, our staff would have been more than happy to help hail one for them, but the cost and journey time would nto have been guarenteed.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here for five nights on business. I think I lucked out and got a huge room on the first floor, which was great. The room itself was comfortable and clean. The main downside: the walls are quite thin, so I could hear everything happening in the hallways. But this is probably true of many hotels in the area that are built into the rowhouses in the area. The wi-fi worked well and the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was surprisingly good and complete. Finally, the location is great -- around the corner from paddington station and there are many restaurants and convenience shops nearby.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Please accept a huge thank you for your recent review on our hotel and your recent stay with us.

We were so pleased you really did enjoy your visit and we do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.