“Great option for short stays near Earls Court”

The Nadler Kensington
Ranked #61 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This was my second visit to Base2Stay Kensington. Great location just one block from Earls Court tube station. Rooms may be small but are stylish, clean and comfortable. The kitchenette and the easy access to two large grocery stores (Sainsburys and Waitrose) makes for healthy and affordable dining options (but if you'd rather, there are many dining options and a couple of great pubs just steps away on Earls Court Road.

Room Tip: On both stays I was in a room facing the back of the hotel but I imagine even the front-facing room...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank VH61
Write a ReviewReviews (3,896)

Reviewed 27 February 2012

We booked a double room for two of our party and a Superior room for three of us to share. This consisted of a very large king sized bed, easily big enough for three!, but included a single size sofa bed, desk and chair.
The rooms had enough space, air conditioning and the beds were very very comfy, (including my bed, which was the chair-bed, but felt like a good quality ordinary bed) and very good bathrooms, with a great shower and bath. (the double room had a large, walk-in shower, but no bath) Thick white fluffy towels and shower gels were provided.
The kitchenette in a cupboard is really useful. Sachets of coffee, tea bags, milk and sugar enable you to make a few drinks without having to go shopping first. A fridge and microwave are handy too.
The rooms and corridors are spotless and decorated in calming, contemporary, neutral shades.
We were completely unaware of noise from other guests when in the room.
If you are unused to traffic sounds, it may be better to sleep with the windows closed, as there can be a fair few cars passing in the early morning, but this was hardly noticeable when we shut the windows.
Earls Court tube station is at most, a 5 minute walk away and there are plenty of shops, bars and banks either side of the station.
I'd highly recommend Base2Stay and look forward to a return visit. Returning guests are offered a 5% discount if booking direct.
The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful and made our stay very pleasant indeed.

Room Tip: Room 109 is a Superior room, with space for 3 adults, directly above reception and very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jensmum
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I booked because I needed a hotel near Cromwell Road. The TripAdvisor reviews were good, but I've stayed in so many overpriced and disappointing London hotels that I expected another lemon.

This does not pretend to be The Ritz, but scores highly on all my key requirements.

Excellent

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a double room at base2stay after visiting relatives near London.

The room was as shown in the web site pictures. It is small even by London standards but the price was excellent. Since we did not spend much time in the room, the size was not a problem. Note that the double bed is double mattress over twin box spings. The mattress is quite thick so this was not a problem for us.

The room was extremely clean. The compact kitchen was well equipped and the service staff washes any dishes left in the sink. An electric kettle is supplied and as is instant coffee. A hairdryer is also supplied.

The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. We had arrived several hours before check in and they willingly agreed to let us drop off our bags. When we returned to complete check in, the bags had been placed in our room.

The Earl's Court tube stop located 1 block west of the hotel on Earl's Court Road. There are numerous pubs and restaurants on Earl's Court Road including a Starbucks. The hotel does not have a coffee shop. The hotel has discount coupons for several restaurants in the area.

The area around the hotel is quiet with very little traffic. The hotel does have a lift (elevator).

The hotel is definately not posh. However, it is a good deal by London standards and is a great choice as a place to sleep while enjoying a great city.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Moses1Detroit
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I thought Base2Stay was a charming hotel which offered exactly what I expected after reading several reviews and doing my own research. As someone said below, the plumbing can be a little noisy from the rooms above (I was in G7 on the ground floor backing to the mews) but I think that had more to do with my jet lag than anything. I was waking up at odd hours as I was still on east coast U.S. time. Any other time I don't think I would have heard it. As for the bathroom, I did have a little difficulty working the shower as it is not like most U.S. showers where you turn on the taps to adjust the warmth then turn on the shower. In this room you had to turn on the water and the shower just came on. Another thing, my bathroom floor was extremely, extremely cold. I guess with it being on the ground floor and during the recent cold snap, this was to be expected. Radiant floor heat would have been nice, however, I did enjoy having a heated towel rack so it sort of made up for it. I loved having the little kitchenette. A couple of times I picked up things from down the road (Waitrose and a little Marks & Spenser food store is not far and Harrod's food hall is amazing for a easy meal to warm in the microwave) The maids (Zsuzanna & Kate) who cleaned the room left notes of thanks each day and were very pleasant in the halls. In fact, the ladies at the front desk were extra friendly and made check-in quick and delightful. The men did not seem as cordial, but that may have just been their nature. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again. I am a Hilton Diamond member (so I have stayed in a lot of hotels) and I liked my experience at Base2Stay much better. No amount of over-priced hotel restaurants, room service, and pools can beat the value and experience of Base2Stay. Just don't come to this hotel looking for a Waldorf-Astoria kind of experience; come with a open mind and an independent, can-do attitude and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Antoinette15
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My daughter & I travelled with family who chose this hotel because it offered decent rooms at good prices with the added bonus of a mini kitchenette where breakfast could be prepared. This is definitely a no frills hotel, the rooms are the size & layout of college dorm rooms, there is no concierge or bellboy to assist you, no on-site restaurant and there are stairs you will have to navigate on your own while carting luggage. They also only supplied two rolls of toilet paper and a mini package of Kleenex during our stay, we ran out of both. I suppose we could have advised the front desk but seriously, housekeeping should just be aware of this. One odd thing did happen during our stay. On our second to last evening our room had been entered and our twin beds pushed together. There was no reason for anyone to have entered our room as turn down service is not an option and our room had been made up earlier in the day. Just a little creepy. There are plusses though, the first being the cost, much less than other London hotels. The hotel is located in a very nice neighborhood of residences with the Earls Court tube station and many restaurants just a short 5 minute stroll away. The beds are comfy, the towels & linen of good quality, although they do employ a green philosophy our sheets were not changed once during our 5 night stay. This we know because my daughter had a spill on her sheet the very first day and it remained for the duration of our stay. Plenty of hot water, free wireless internet, and the little kitchenette was very handy. Overall you do get what you pay for. I would recommend for folks who are looking for a decent place to stay while on a fixed budget, however I personally would not return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank barriefolks
Amie_Conway, Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear barriefolks,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and services. I’m sorry your experience wasn’t as you, or we would expect. I would like to apologise for what seems like a series of uncharacteristic service lapses, particularly in housekeeping, which I will immediately investigate. Housekeeping should be alert to replacing toiletries, and our green policy on linen is to change these every third day. The bed position change you noted on the third day seems to indicate linen was changed, but if it wasn’t, I apologise again. I am also sorry if you were not offered assistance with your luggage, as our staff are trained to do, as well as providing a full concierge service.

If you would care to e-mail me on amie@base2stay.com, I would welcome the opportunity to go over these issues with you as we always aim to learn and improve from our errors.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and I hope you will contact me if you would like to stay again and give us an opportunity to change your views of our service standards.

Yours faithfully,

Amie Conway
Acting General Manager

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I really love staying at this hotel! I have stayed here about four times and wouldn't really consider staying else where. The rooms are very comfortable and have kitchenettes with microwaves and crockery etc, a great music collection, modern bathrooms and very comfortable beds. They have set out to be the best combination of budget and boutique and I think they have succeeded.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends