“Super family solution”

GreenLeadersGold level
E.Yorks.
“Super family solution”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Comfortable, clean rooms. Extra sofa bed and functional kitchen corner make the Nadler an ideal family solution for a London break. Very helpful staff who aim to please. Nearby Old Brompton Road makes for a pleasant evening stroll through an attractive neighbourhood, with many restaurants to choose from.
Well placed for the National History Museum, the V & A and on to Harrods. Highly recommended.

1 Thank amuse-bouche20
Alessandra L, General Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Amuse-Bouche20, Thank you for your lovely review. Nothing would make us happier than to see you again and again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed with our 2 kids in the family room which was just very fine. All clean, good room climate and enough space. No breakfast served in the hotel which I had not realized before, but some possibilities around the corner OR served in the room. The room was at the back and simply quiet. No noise.
Good part in London, close to the tube and bus lines.
What was especially remarkable was the efforts of the staff to make us feel at home, not just in the hotel but also in London, which we visited as tourists. They did their utmost to answer all our questions and help with (family) bookings, no matter how much time it needed.
Very much appreciated!

1 Thank Marc E
Alessandra L, General Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Marc E, we are delighted you thought so highly of your stay and thank you for your lovely review. Our staff will be delighted to read your kind words. Great staff are the most important element in making a hotel special! We are looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Nadler. I stayed in room 9, it was small, but very comfortable, quiet, clean and has a small patio. The bed was very comfortable, which is hugely important to me. The small, yet very useful kitchenette, was a very welcome feature. There is a great small grocery store down the street, which has many premade fresh meals, fresh fruit and nice assortment of cheeses, wine, and sweets, that are perfect to prepare in your room, great for an afternoon or late evening snack. The staff were very helpful, always there to help with any questions, and give suggestions. I was on a birthday holiday, so when I was told that my room had been upgraded, all I could say was thank you, and Happy Birthday to me. My US hair straightener was not working in the UK, when I called down to see if they had another adapter, they immediately came to my room with a very good quality one for me to borrow. The neighborhood is quiet, and there are many restaurants close by. It's just a few minutes walk from the Earl's Court tube, which makes it very easy to get back and forth to Heathrow. I felt the price was fair, when it comes to hotels in London. I had to stay in the Holiday Inn Greenwich one night on my stay, to meet a tour leaving very early, it was a DUMP, it was barely lower in price than the Nadler.

Room Tip: Room 9 is small but comfortable, quiet, and has everything you need.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Trisha S
Dear Camarill,o we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you had a great birthday. Our staff really put all their passion, knowledge and expertise into their daily job, which adds so much value and quality to our hotel. Hope you had a great flight back. See you soon.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

In a calm quiet neighborhood, clean, and only several minutes away from Earl's court tube station. That's about it. The service I think could have been better. Whenever we asked for advice about how to get somewhere or where to go to, we got the same answer "We will search the options and reply to you in half an hour", and I never got a reply. Also the only way for breakfast is to ask for the meal the night before and we get it the next morning to our small cramped up room (Superior Room). Honestly we felt that we couldve got the same kind of service in a cheaper hotel. It felt more like a rented out room than a luxury hotel (as it is described).

Definitely wont stay here again for the next visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Layanmn, Thank you for your feedback. I am surprised to read your experience of our team, as their friendliness and commitment to our guests is generally something that guests remark on, so I apologise if your experience wasn’t of the high order we demand of ourselves. I have personally been trying to get it touch with you, unsuccessfully, through Trip Advisor as we are unable to locate your reservation from you Trip Advisor name to discuss your feedback. We hope you will return so we can show you our usual service levels.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is as described on the marketing material. Very recently refurbished and very clean and tidy. The room included a small but convenient kitchen area with a microwave oven and good size refrigerator. The hotel is about 4 minutes walk to Earls' Court Underground station. It would have deserved 5 stars had it not been for the inconvenience of some street noise, as my room was on the ground floor. A minor problem with the safe was promptly dealt with by the very kind staff. I will go back, if a non street facing room is available.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor street facing room if you have a light sleeping pattern.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Antonella D, thank you for your review. We are so sorry you were disturbed by some street noise. The are is normally very quiet as we are located on a residential street. Please do come back and stay with us and we will make sure to accommodate you on a higher floor or facing the back into the lovely gardens or our private and very quiet mews! And hopefully we will get a 5 star next time!
Sweden
Reviewed 26 April 2014

It's pretty hard to review this property, as it feels like something of a hybrid between a 4-star hotel and a deluxe hostel.

They market themselves with phrases like "[...] our luxury hotel", "all of our 4 star hotel rooms" and "[...] luxury hotel room in Kensington" on their homepage, while they are priced quite a bit lower than many other 4-star properties in London (like Ruben's At The Palace and The Montague on The Gardens) and you can't expect the same kind of experience at The Nadler as you get from the other, just mentioned, hotels.

I think something along the lines of "budget luxury" is what The Nadler wants to be perceived as. Modern, clean rooms with that little extra (premium coffee machines, bathroom amenities and high-quality towels) that you don't get from the really cheap places, but without other services (like doormen, porters, restaurants, room-service, mini-bar etc) in order to keep the costs and prices down.

And this is always tricky. Should I review it as a 4 star luxury hotel or as a deluxe budget hotel?

I still can't decide, so I think I will just get on wit the review and see where it ends.

LOCATION

Located in the western parts of inner London, with the Earl's Court tube station just a few minutes away. Nice neighbourhood - peaceful and calm, while still fairly central.

ROOMS

We stayed in "King/twin double" room, for which we payed £150 per night (pre-paid)

The room was very small (even considering that London hotel rooms in general are not the biggest) and was located on the lower floor. It faced something that looked like a small parking lot - so we had no view at all.

Minor detail: In the confirmation mail, the room type was noted as "Large King/Twin Double" - which is a room category that can't be found on the homepage. It's always a bad idea to have different room category names in different places, even if it's just the word "Large" that differs.

The room itself was modern and clean. It had somewhat of a premium feeling to it when looking at the choice of materials, fabrics etc.

Also featured a kitchenette with a microwave, a fridge and a premium coffee maker. There was no real seating area in this room category, so if you wanted to make something to eat, I assume you'd have to eat it while sitting on the beds. The kitchenette, the TV and the small desk below the TV were all cramped into a tiny area in front of the bed.

The bathroom was also modern and clean. Had a shower and a bathtub, with (basic) Gilchrist & Soames toiletries.

STAFF

Staff were great. Everyone at the reception were very kind and helpful - while still being professional. They assisted with taxi bookings, restaurant recommendations and advice for public transport. Checking in and out was quick and smooth.

SERVICE/FACILITIES

There's a gym and a sauna, which we didn't use. There's no business office, but a computer next to the front desk. Personally, I can't understand why one would place it there, as I would feel a bit "watched" using it.

One day when we went out at 8 am, our room had not been cleaned when we came back at 3.30 pm. I actually asked front desk if there was no cleaing that they and was informed that cleaning started at 2 pm (?) so they just hadn't made it to our room yet. I suspect housekeeping were understaffed. We were offered to have them sent to our room immediately, which was a kind offer, but as we were going out again it wasn't necessary.

I also noted that toiletries were not replenished.

Our last day, we had a flight at 6 pm, so we thought we'd spend the afternoon downtown. Was no problem to leave the luggage at the hotel after check-out. Borrowed some umbrellas as well, as it was pouring with rain.

CONCLUSION

I will rate this 3/5 - which doesn't mean that it's a bad hotel. It's a great base if you don't want to splurge on "real" luxury hotels. However, I believe I'm not in the target group for this kind of propery. To me, it just feels like I'm paying more than at a cheap hotel, without getting the luxury from the more expensive hotels. Had the price been even lower, or the rooms larger and more well-equipped, I might have rated it 4/5.

Personally, I don't think I will be going back. I'd rather put in the extra £40-50 per night and stay at one of the more "traditional" 4-star hotels. However, I can see which crowd this hotel caters to and I actually like the idea of "budget luxury" even if I believe it's not for me - so I will most likely recommend it to people that I imagine would appreciate it, if they ask me about a good, not too expensive hotel in London.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Yorkshire England
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I used the Nadler just for a bed as i had a late meeting and an early train. For this it was perfect, i found breakfast very nearby and the bed was comfortable, the shower and bathroom well appointed and the staff very friendly, helpful and prompt. The single rooms are not large, but they are well thought out and with the kitchen facilities too work well.

Room Tip: rooms at the backa re quieter but front are well glazed so not a major problem
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nick_Down, we are so pleased you found our services and facilities to work well for your needs. Perhaps you will try one of our larger rooms next time for even more comfort! Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!