“Can't understand why this hotel gets such positive reviews???!!!!”

The Nadler Kensington
Ranked #60 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We needed last minute accommodation in London due to a change of travel plans and chose this hotel due to it's positive reviews and rating. I have stayed at a number of hotels in London and for some bizarre reason, this was rated higher than all of those, so I believed we managed to secure prime accommodation.

On check in, the service was very fawlty towers-esque. Two people were checking in at the same time and even so, the staff seemed overwhelmed and were racing around like chickens with their heads cut off. I was told they would check if my room was ready (despite it being 30 minutes after the hotel's check in time). As housekeeping could not be reached, the receptionist went racing about the hotel to check for herself. I decided to sit down for the long wait (as did the other person checking in) and when the receptionist returned, she asked if we were there to check in? It was a definate 'what the' moment.

When we arrived in our superior room (which is the top of the line with 3 beds) it was clean, but apart from the beds, there was the tiniest amount of circulation space and nowhere to put luggage apart from on one of the three beds. I would dread the thought of 3 people sharing this room. Whilst rooms are generally small in London, this so called Superior was extremely small even by those standards.

The shower again, was clean and modern but the shower itself was incredibly low flow, which is one of my pet peeves with a hotel. Also there was no iron or ironing board in the room and no instructions on how to get one.

On check out. Again, the service made us feel as though we were being punked. They attempted to charge us for the room, despite having prepaid on a last minute booking website, which took a bit of effort to sort out and they couldn't quite get it together to store our luggage. In fact I was so worried that our bags which were left near the door would go missing, we considered taking the very long cab ride across town to leave them at the proper hotel we were staying at later that day.

From a location perspective, the hotel is only about 5 minutes walk from Earls Court station which provides easy connectivity to Piccadilly etc. I would only recommend this hotel if you get it extremely cheap (ie 50 pounds or so) which is why I am imagining it has received a lot of good reviews. As that is about all it is worth.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
ReceptionMgr, Front Office Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2010

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. All base2stay staff are trained in cross–departmental processes and procedures to ensure our guests are better served. Your recollection of the check-in process perplexed me as our records show that you were checked in at 2.07pm, 7 minutes after our standard check in time. Whist we do our best to accommodate early arrivals and most of the time are able to check–in our guests prior to our standard check-in time, we cannot unfortunately guarantee early check in. I apologise for the short wait you endured.

I am pleased to read that you were happy with the cleanliness of our rooms and bathrooms but disappointed that you felt the size of your superior room was rather small. At base2stay, we offer a variety of room sizes from bijou singles up to our largest deluxe, which can accommodate up to four people. With free Wi-Fi, free internet on HDTV, 6,000 music tracks and HD games, movies at only £2 each, mini-kitchens and exclusive discounts at many of the best local restaurants, we believe that our rooms provide excellent value for money. Our prices are per room, not per person and there are no supplementary charges for additional occupants. Our base directory and guide in all rooms, as well as the on-screen directory, offers guest instructions on how to store luggage beneath our specially designed bed bases, or alternatively large items of luggage can be stored in the luggage room with reception. The guide also advises that iron and ironing boards can be delivered to your room on request.

I am sorry to learn that the shower pressure was not to your liking, as we receive many favourable comments on the good shower pressure. Our maintenance team will investigate to ascertain if there is an issue with the room you stayed in.

I have spoken with my reception team regarding your departure. I understand that the team member did ask whether you would like to pay with your nominated card. The staff member was following procedure in enquiring about the payment, but in retrospect, the team member should have reviewed your account before asking the question to avoid any miscommunication, and I offer my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We deal with a high volume of arrivals and departures daily at base2stay and all front of house staff are fully trained and conversant in the protocols involved in storing guest’s luggage. The luggage store is located on our lower level, and therefore staff will usually move luggage at a convenient moment when there are no guests waiting to be checked in or out. I am sorry you felt the system we have in place did not meet with your expectations.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,895)

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Very good friendly service, safe and lovely neighborhood. Close to tube and grocery, pubs and restaurants. Lovely room, everything we needed. Lov e the kitchenette. Quiet and clean. Large bathroom. Comfortable beds. Great to have in room use of internet and email. Very glad about their green policies. Would definitely stay here again. Thanks Base2stay!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank birdiesb
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Good access to he tube and facilities, clean, comfortable, excellent staff, quiet.

4  Thank manuguai
Reviewed 19 November 2010

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Base2Stay in Kensington and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Myself, mam and sister stayed in a triple room with 3 beds. The room has its own tea/coffee facilities and a microwave which we did not use but great to have just in case. The room and ensuite were spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable. The only downside was the fold out single bed, it was quite narrow and not terribly comfortable but ok for 2 nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the cost of the room was very good value. We will definitely stay here again when we return to London. (A toaster in the room would be great but perhaps this is a fire risk?).

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank dhughesirl
ReceptionMgr, Front Office Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2010

We are always pleased to hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay with us and equally appreciative of guests who take the time to point out items that could be improved. We are sorry to read that the fold out sofa was not as comfortable as you expected. At base2stay, we have specially designed fold out sofas with mattresses which are checked on a regular basis to ensure the maximum comfort of our guests. I have passed on your comment to our quality control team so that the mattress on the sofa bed in the room you stayed in can be assessed. The team is delighted to read that everything else met your expectations during your stay.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding toasters. It is a request we receive from some guests and whilst we would like to provide this facility, toasters unfortunately pose a fire safety risk as you rightly pointed out.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you on your return to base2stay.

Reviewed 18 November 2010

Stayed 6 nights. After reading about London hotels, I was expecting a cramped room, but ours was nice and roomy. We had a king sized bed and it was very comfortable. It was very clean and well equipped. The mini kitchen was nice to have and we used it every morning for breakfast. The staff were all friendly. On our last day, our TV stopped working and we called the front desk to let them know. They were very responsive and sent someone within an hour to repair it. The shower had great water pressure and plenty of hot water. The location is great - a short walk to the Earl's Court tube station. We walked around the area a good bit and at night and always felt safe. This is a great hotel and I'm sure we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank redbirder
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Comfortable, spotless, very well-designed & equipped room, excellent staff. Good bed, blackout curtains & inner door all ensured uninterrupted sleep despite having standard room G8 which was right next to reception. Extractor in kitchenette cupboard can be silenced by removing keycard from power slot (bedside lights will still work). Brisk 20 min walk to Royal Albert Hall

4  Thank longliein
Reviewed 17 November 2010

This hotel was excellent and I will be staying here next time if I am ever to visit London again. All the reviews about it being quiet, clean and fantastic value for money are spot on. I arrived direct from Sydney and so was knackered and needed a good nights sleep. The hotel is in such a quiet location that this happened giving me a great start to the next day. The services are great and free wifi (which always worked!) and the location is very handy for direct access into the heart of London either by walking or via the close tubes stations (either Earls Court or Gloucester Road). Simply excellent and I do not have a single bad word I can say about it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business