“Rooms smaller than a submarine”

The Nadler Kensington
Ranked #64 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 January 2011

From the reviews, I expected a much better hotel. My husband and I stayed at Base2Stay for 2 days, and they were the worst of our vacation. We arrived about 4 pm and the rooms were not ready. Probably many others were waiting for rooms to be readied, as there was a lot of luggage behind and in front of the counter. I suspect we were given a single room, even though I paid for a double, but I could not be sure since I never saw the other rooms. The room we had was TINY. I felt as though I was living on a submarine. There was a bed, pushed up against one wall, so someone had to climb down to the bottom of the bed to get in and out. There was a tiny bathroom as well, and aside from another 9 sq feet (3 sq meters) of floor space in front of the bed - that was the size of the room. There was no where to put the luggage other than under the bed (didn't fit) or in front of the doors to the kitchen closet. There wasn't much place to hang up clothes either, and hardly any drawer space.

On the plus side, the shower was quite large and had fancy electronic controls. The rest of the bathroom was very poor. The toilet seat was made of cheap plastic, and seemed like it might fall off the wall when you sat on it. The heated towel rail was so close to your knees when you were sitting on the toilet that we each burned ourselves on it several times. You can't even close the bathroom door very easily, as the door takes up all the space in the bathroom.

This was probably the worst place I've stayed at in London out of about 12 hotels over the past 2-3 years. We won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank aloudnoise
Amie_Conway, Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2011

Following this review, I would like to make a few observations for the benefit of other readers.

base2stay offers a variety of room types from Bijou singles to Deluxe rooms that can accommodate up to four people. This guest booked a Bijou double, which is usually booked over the phone. As we explain at the time of booking, our Bijou rooms are small as compared to our other double rooms, as implied by the name, with a bed that can only be accessed from one side, and the lower room rates for these rooms reflect that. We would recommend one of our other room types for guests who require more space, and are always happy to move guests if, on arrival, they decide the room chosen is too small (or too big!), subject to availability.
All bathrooms with showers have an oversized shower, Duravit toilets and sinks by Phillip Stark with Gessi taps and plenty of shelf space for toiletries, but I’m sorry that this guest felt the facilities were not up to their expectations.

I’m also sorry that there were suitcases in reception at the time of arrival. We always try our best to minimise the luggage on view but it is not always possible as we will gladly keep luggage for guests that have checked out, whilst they enjoy their last day in London. Luggage that has been dropped at the hotel in the morning for check-in later that day will be taken to guests’ rooms ready for when they return. This is a convenience that we have always offered and which we understand that our guests greatly appreciate.

We welcome all feedback from guests and thank this guest for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope the above clarification is of benefit to other visitors.

There are newer reviews for The Nadler Kensington

Reviewed 3 January 2011

Nice clean modern hotel. Excellent location 2 min walk away from earls court subway. Room not that big but big enough for family and 1 kid(8yrs). Website from hotel says it all.

5  Thank Dennis197210
Reviewed 3 January 2011

For the value this is a great hotel. It is conveniently located 1-2 blocks from the Earl's Court underground station which gives you access to 2 train lines. It takes about 10 minutes to get to major attractions in the city by train. The neighborhood is very nice with lots of restaurants and shops. It is also walking distance to Kensington Gardens (note the palace is closed for remodeling and the attraction there got terrible reviews).
The rooms are a little small but the mini kitchen is very helpful and was cleaned daily by the hotel staff. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.
We would definately recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WMC08
Reviewed 2 January 2011

A clean, quiet place with all of the amenities families need. The hotel is a very short walk from the Earl's Court tube stop on the Picadilly line which made for very easy access to both Heathrow and the sights in London, but it was far enough away from the madding crowds to give you a sense of rest. Plentiful restaurant options near the tube stop, along with groceries, and the kitchenettes in the hotel allowed for easy breakfasts and snacks. Surprisingly spacious room too... Would be good to have a shelf in the shower for toiletries, and it certainly isn't a "bargain" choice (though bargains are nearly impossible to find in London!), but we would stay there again without any hesitation and recommend it to anyone looking for a convenient place, out of the busiest parts of the city, but still with all of the things that travelers need.

5  Thank hecsta
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I was recently trapped in London due to the closure of Heathrow in snow. I managed to escape the airport chaos on Saturday evening, and my daughter booked me 3 nights at Base2stay (we didn't know when i could fly out and guessed at Tuesday). She was told that there was a 48hr cancellation policy, but in the turmoil of my last 30 hours, including sleeping on T5 check-in floor, I didn't think much about it. Early on Sunday morning I managed to book a flight out of Manchester on Monday evening since Heathrow was clearly going nowhere. I informed the reception desk at about 9am that I would not be staying Monday night (giving 29 hours notice), and was informed that it was fine but they would have to charge me for the third night as their cancellation policy was a strict one. I was informed (I paraphrase here) "we are a very small business and cannot afford to act differently since we get hit by events such as the ash cloud & Heathrow crisis in a big way".
Subsequently the operations manager has said in an email " As my colleague explained, base2stay Kensington is a small hotel and not a big chain, therefore we work to a strict cancellation policy. It is set to be fair to all our guests and everyone is treated the same, regular guests and new guests. I really appreciate your offer of recommendation and do hope that you will continue to rebook with us; however I unfortunately cannot refund the cancellation fee."
The reception desk did reduce the room rate from £137 per night to £114 per night for the whole stay. I was impressed by this gesture, although after leaving was informed by my daughter that she had been quoted £114 when originally making the booking!
Well, I think it is an event worth mentioning to all thinking of staying at this hotel. I was stranded and in a crisis. I feel that the hotel rather exploited my situation (they told me that they were not full and therefore not having to turn customers away), albeit within the letter of their policies.
I have happily recommended the place to many colleagues, family and friends over the past few years. I am afraid I find it difficult to do so now.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank EnjoyTravel200
Amie_Conway, Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2011

Thank you for happily recommending base2stay to your colleagues, family and friends over the past few years. As discussed, we value your custom and appreciate your recommendations, and I’m sorry that you feel you have been treated unfairly. Our cancellation policy was confirmed during booking over the telephone, via e-mail with your confirmation, and again discussed at the desk. It is a strict policy to be fair to all our guests. I did offer assistance with travel insurance, but unfortunately this offer was declined. As a gesture of goodwill, I also offered a significant discount towards your next booking. I do hope to welcome you back to base2stay in future, and thank you for your understanding.

Reviewed 31 December 2010

We absolutely loved it. Base2stay has all the essentials. Impecabble rooms, comfy beds, clean modern showers, helpful staff, great location, honest staff - they found my daughters bracelet in the room and handed it over to reception. It was great to be able to buy food and heat it up in the kitchenette in the room. After trekking all day in London, all we wanted to do was cozy up in the room with a takeaway dinner or order in. Frankly, I cant think of anything negative to say about the place and I will certainly stay there again.

5  Thank anitaruesch
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I have stayed at Base2Stay before and it's a real gem! But...I experienced problems with the heating, again. The hotel use air-condition and it was very, very cold especially in the bath room. i did get help with it and the staff is great and very helpful but still, freezing isn't very comfy. During my last stay the room was too hot....I guess one is never satisfied ;-) However, I AM from Sweden and used to cold so....

I will be back in February, let's hope the air-con is working better in my room then.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank wildrose71
Amie_Conway, Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review base2stay. I'm sorry to learn that you experienced fluctuating temperature in your room during your recent stays with us. Our Daikin air-conditioning system is designed for hotels and should be able to cope in all weather conditions, although the extreme conditions we experienced recently put us all to the test. Following your feedback, I have asked our mechanical engineers to carry out additional servicing and rectify any issues identified to prevent a similar experience for our guests in future.

I’m pleased the team attended to your request satisfactorily, and I do hope that you have a very enjoyable stay in February, when the team and I look forward to welcoming you back.