“Pleasant stay”

City Continental London Kensington
Ranked #793 of 1,067 Hotels in London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, we arrived 30 mins before the 2pm check in went to the reception desk and they said that we had to go out and come back just before the check in time, we noticed that there was a few seats in the reception area and was not even offered a seat after travelling. Our room was on the 4th floor, I didn't mind the stairs as I am 21 but for my Nanna who is in her 60's her legs could only just manage the extra floor we had to climb after the lift. The room was dreadful, I mean I am not surprised there is no professional pictures of the hallway with a bathroom at the end, 2 single beds between brick walls, I have never been anywhere as cold in my life, we read the manual and I can assure you that the wall heater does not work, we then resorted to use the plug in one after an hour on full whack we was still frozen. We got comfy and then all of a sudden the fire alarm goes for about 2 seconds, we thought it was the heater but anyways we went out that night to the theatre, came back to our room started drifting off to sleep at 11:30 pm only for then the fire alarm to go off again for a couple of seconds, we read in the manual that on friday's the alarm is tested but seriously at so late at night? I must admit that the beds were comfy and the room was very clean.. We could here the lift going up and down all night, doors banging it was terrible. The bathroom was modern but absolutely tiny. Breakfast room is tiny and so disorganised, people were wanting hot drinks and no cups, no plates, bowls only for people to tell the staff then they brought them out. Good location from earls court station and local amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ZoeSiranneR
BadriSathya, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear ZoeSiranne,

Please accept my apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We really appreciate you for taking time to post such a detailed review which will help us to provide better service.

We pre-allocate the room prior to the arrival and if you are not happy with the room please contact our reception and we will change it for you. Also we recommend you to mention in the booking confirmation if you have an elderly person staying with you so we can allocate a room which is easy to access. We always test the fire alarm at proper time in the afternoon, this might have happened by a false alarm. Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed and actions have already been taken. We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future to have pleasant stay with us.
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

We arrived just as two different customers was complaining, We booked a double room for two nights and it looks nothing like the pictures. The room size is tiny,imagine a standard travel lodge room cut in half!
Reception staff wasn't very welcoming after check in and just ignored you.
Our room had no heating controls and the cleaner decided to leave the window open so when we got back around 11 at night it was -4 outside and freezing. The net curtain in the room was covered in mould.
Breakfast is crap,don't waste your time going down there and just eat out.
Poorly run hotel,owner clearly trying to do it on the cheap with little effort put in.
I always check trip advisor before going somewhere and don't usually agree with reviews but read the bad ones as they are completely right, this hotel would be perfect if you have no standards. Location is great but there is plenty of other options around this area to stay.
If this hotel was offered to me free again I would turn them down.

• Stayed March 2013
We do apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay in our hotel. Our staff are always friendly and we have received lots of good feedback also in tripadvisor. We are investigating your concern and will take necessary action as soon as possible.

We have different room categories with spacious rooms as well and we do advice our guest to book bigger rooms if they need more space. I would recommend you to contact our staff incase of any assistance with the room after you checkin.

Thanks for mentioning about our hotel location which is perfect next to earls court tube station with easy access to entire London. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated, please be assured we can guarantee you to have a pleasant stay with us if you prefer to stay with us again. Contact us directly.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed over valentines (2013) 14th to the 16th, when we first got there, we were shocked at how close the hotel was to Earls Court station, and as being first timers in London this was very useful for commuting around the city. Check in time is 2pm which was rather annoying as we wanted to unpack a few things and freshen up after traveling for several hours, however they have a luggage room which is secure — the only downside to this, is that the luggage room is like a cupboard and when check out is at 11 am this gets very packed so the cases may get squashed. We did have to pay a £20 deposit which was not a problem, I am sure this is expected for most hotels incase of damages or for using the telephone , etc. The room itself was spotless, we could not fault how clean it was, the shower was brilliant and very powerful!! Only bad points about the room are that as a smoker I was hoping the double doors would open but they didn't so I had to go back up to the entrance and have a cigarette there. The hotel room itself does get very hot and even though the air con is on, it doesn't seem to cool the room down, the air con also makes a very funny noise all day and night, this was horrendous when me and my partner was trying to get to sleep after a very busy day in the city and the air con wouldn't be quiet.… (yes, it was turned off-yet it still kept making a noise). As we were in the basement, we expected peace and quiet, however, if somebody opens or shuts their door who is down the corridor, you can hear it and it is so loud and made our door shake. The television in the hotel had limited channels even though it was Free-view - maybe this was because we were in the basement, it didn't bother us too much as we were out all day till late at night but it would have been nice to have a few more channels to watch for when we did get home and wasn't tired. The breakfast was very limited, I did expect a more varied breakfast rather than just bread and other bread like products and cereal, we ended up getting a breakfast from somewhere else for one day as we were out all day and night and needed a decent enough meal to start us for the day — the orange juice was very watered down and there wasn't anywhere to sit for a long time, there wasn't much room either in the breakfast room, I would advise another toaster, as people were queuing for a very long time just to use the only toaster there was, this was whilst attempting to get a seat to eat the food. The staff in the hotel where fantastic, very helpful for directions but I think most of them are Italian or French - which wasn't a massive problem just hard to understand at times. We would definitely stay here again without a doubt and we have also recommended it to friends! Shame it has a few faults that let it down.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alfisrah
Dear Alfisrah,

It is nice to hear your genuine feedback with more positives and I regret that we haven't met some of your expectations. We are not charging the deposit anymore which was a major concern for our guest, even though it is followed in most of the hotels in London at this current moment.

Our luggage room is an extra service which we provide to our guest as a nice gesture which you might not find commonly in all 3* hotels in London. We are a non-smoking hotel and we recommend our guest to smoke outside the hotel which is convenient for non-smokers. In the future please contact the reception if you are not happy with the allocated room also try to mention in the booking confirmation if you need your room in any specific location. We always make sure to provide a better service and thanks a lot for recommending us to your friends and we are looking forward to see you soon.
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights, was pleasantly surprised, reception area was lovely and the staff were helpfull, you also have to pay a £20 deposite on arrival which wasnt any bother, receptionist told us it was incase we broke anything or used the phones so we didnt mind paying. me and my boyfriend had a room in the basement, was abit dissopointed but we didnt mind, our room was small but it was clean and the bathroom was lovely, room was cleaned every time we came back to the hotel, tea & coffee was stocked back up and also fresh towels everyday, very close to earls court station, lots of fast food restaurants and chain restaurants, all in all we had lovely stay and would use this hotel again.

2 Thank Aliceband92
BadriSathya, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you so much for your valuable comments, we are delighted to read your feedback. I have passed your comment to our staffs.

All our newly refurbished rooms have added value to our hotel and we are happy that you are pleased with our standard.

We have different room categories and also have bigger rooms with more space at less price difference. If you like a bigger room please ask at reception for assistance. Our friendly staff will assist you anytime 24 hours a day. We are looking forward for your stay with us again.
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a one night stay with my daughter. As a hotelier myself, I was really impressed with the receptionists greeting, although was not expecting to pay £20 deposit incase we used WIFI or the telephone! The room was pretty impressive too, immaculately clean and beautifully decorated, with all modern fixtures and fittings.But then we started to notice the flaws, firstly, although the TV was freeview we were unable to get any of the channels, BBC 1 and 2 was our choices! I know we didn't go to watch TV but I thought that was bad. We were getting ready for breakfast and the maid was knocking, trying to get in to clean the room even though we were not required to vacate till 11 am. Breakfast was an absolute joke!! We were unable to find a free seat in the 'Breakfast Room' it was chaos!! Eventually we sat and had to share a table and then fight for breakfast. There were no dishes,glasses or plates - and there was no one to ask! Eventually, they were replaced, but gave up as there was a queue for toast, a small four round toaster for the whole dining room. The hotel reminded me of a student canteen.We felt quite stressed when we left and hungry. I can't believe we paid over £100 each and was expecting alot more !!! Definately would not return or reccommend this hotel

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve R
First of all I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

Deposit £20 is a hotel policy just incase of any extras; which will be returned on departure if nothing been used. Our contnental buffet breakfast is complimentary to all our guest and we always try to provide best service possible.

Berwick-upon-Tweed
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The directions given on the Hotel's website are very good - turn left out of Earl's Court Tube Station (Warwick Road exit) & left again onto Penywern Road, keep walking & the hotel is eventually on your right. The reception staff were really nice. Please be aware though, that you will be asked to pay a £20 (per room) 'deposit' incase you damage anything. We paid cash & got this back no problem upon check-out. We stayed in room 111 which was on the Ground floor, right at the front of the hotel. On arrival, we told that receptionist that we had booked a Twin Room & he told us that we had been upgraded to a Premium Room (we don't know why!). The room had a double bed & a single bed. Not much space to move around...no drawers which we found bizarre...a small sized wardrobe with 6 hangers which was fine for us, & a safe, which we were really pleased about. There was a TV as well, and we each had a small bedside shelf. There was a dressing table next to the wardrobe with a chair and facilities for making tea. This end of the room was really cold, as it was next to the windows which weren't double-glazing.
The room was clean, as were the bedsheets. The bathroom was small but very nice, we think it had recently been renovated, as the shower was lovely, very modern. The beds were comfy & no sign of the plastic covering on the matresses that has been mentioned in a few reviews.
Breakfast was down in the basement....very small room for the amount of guests (which has been mentioned in other reviews) but, really, you're only there for 15 minutes at the most. Sharing tables didn't bother us. There was white & brown bread, a toaster (which can take a while), yoghurts, fruit, 3 types of cereal, croissants, marmalade, jam, butter etc. It was a decent breakfast for what we paid, filled us up nicely for the day ahead.
We discovered that if we turned right out of the hotel, we ended up on Earl's Court main street where there were restaurants & shops such as M&S, McDonalds, Gregs & Nandos. And also the other entrance for Earl's Court tube station. If you want the DISTRICT LINE - use this entrance. If you want PICCADILLY LINE - use the Warwick Road entrance, opposite the exhibition centre.
After a day on the tour bus, we were chilled to the bone & used the heating in the room for the first time. It warmed the room up nicely & didn't really make it stuffy. However, the end of the room where the windows were, was absolutely freezing.
All-in-all, a good hotel but I wouldn't stay there again...simply for the reason that it was too far out for what we needed. I would prefer to stay in Russell Square, as I have before, as it was much more central for Leicester Square, theatres etc. However, if you need to be somewhere around Earl's Court, I would recommend this hotel. It's comfortable & clean (not the Ritz, by any means) you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Room 111 had a lovely bathroom but was sometimes noisy (eg. if there is something on at the Exhibiti...