“Horrendous behaviour of hotel staff”

City Continental London Kensington
Ranked #832 of 1,069 Hotels in London
India
“Horrendous behaviour of hotel staff”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed one night at the hotel on 11th June with my wife and son. I was told by reception staff that breakfast would continue till 10am and I reached the breakfast venue in the basement a little before 930 in the morning. I saw that breakfast had already been wrapped up as official closing time was supposed to be 930 in the morning. I requested for cereals for my child and picked up some fruits and yogurt which were still lying on the tables. A lady confronted me saying that I had only asked for cereals and should not take anything other than that. She said she did not believe that reception had told me that breakfast would last till 10am. This was shocking and really insulting. I had stayed for 11 days in London and UK and did not get this sort of behaviour anywhere. I was paying 135 Pounds for one night at this hotel. Lady at the breakfast venue was extremely rude and this sort of attitude towards guests left me totally perplexed. On complaining at the reception about this no action was initiated and matter was not even considered by the hotel HR (if they have any). Condition of rooms are bad, basin tap broken in toilet. Bad experience on last day at London for us. Ac was giving out hot air and no one came to inspect even after repeated requests

Room Tip: No tip will be to avoid this hotel at any cost
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank aditimukherjee04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Little Canfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I booked to stay at City Continental – London Kensington last night. Upon arrival I was told that there was a problem with my room, they’ve had a water leak and I was now booked into the hotel across the road – Mowbray Hotel. The room was cheaper at £76 so I therefore went to this hotel to check in, payment was taken, I went to my room. The room was disgusting, it looked like a squatters bed sit, dirty sheets, dirty room, disgusting bathroom and the stench of cooked food. I then called City Continental to advise them that I was coming back to their hotel, not staying in this room and that I expected them to sort this situation out.

I spoke to a nice man who said he was the manager, after about 10 minutes he showed me to one of their rooms and said he would sort everything out with Mowbray, that I didn’t have to return. I had booked this hotel to go to an event, because of all the room drama it left me with 30 minutes to get ready for a black tie event, therefore I wasn’t very happy. However, I believed that a suitable resolution had occurred to the room problem.

However, upon returning to the hotel after the event with my husband I was informed by the hotel receptionist that we needed to pay them £109 for our room, I therefore explained that we had paid Mowbray £76 and it was my understanding that this was the end of any payments from us. I was told that this wasn’t the case, I then said that I would talk to the manager in the morning when my husband and I checked out.

Upon checking out another person claiming to be the manager, a lady, tried to get £109 out of us, I therefore explained the situation again, she said that we had to go to Mowbray, get a refund, then come back & pay them. I explained that this wasn’t going to happen. She then suggested that we pay the balance between Mowbray and City Continental, I explained that this wasn’t going to happen either as I believed that we had endured a rather upsetting experience due to their lack of ensuring the alternative room was of the same standard that I had booked with them. After a long discussion she agreed that they would seek the £76 from Mowbray & I left.

The rooms are clean & ok for the price you pay, but they are so warm it made for an uncomfortable nights sleep even with the window open. Also there was some kind of plastic mattress protector under the sheet which made the bed even hotter to sleep in.

For the price we paid the hotel was ok, won't be staying there ever again after the room drama however!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
BadriSathya, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review, first of all we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We have discussed your feedback in our meeting and we ensure this never happen again.

We always try our level best to satisfy our guest needs. We assure the issues you have raised have been addressed and the appropriate action has been taken. We are looking forward to accommodate you again to have a pleasant stay in our hotel in the near future
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My friend and I stayed here for one night and found the location to be very good - it's around the corner from Earls Court underground station and just off Earls Court Road where there is an M&S, off licenses, pubs, restaurants and newsagents which is handy if you need to pick anything up. Our room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom looked fairly modern. The reception staff were also more than willing to help out and printed us off a map so that we could walk to Chelsea (which took about 15 mins). All in all - perfect for our budget and needs!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are happy to read that we made your stay such an enjoyable one. I shall be passing your comments to our Housekeeping team so they can ensure they maintain our usual high standards at all times. I hope you will have the chance to stay with us again in future occasions.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I have stayed in a lot of bad hotels in London. This was probably the best of those, but compared to virtually any other place I've been, still pretty bad.
The pictures looked good, and I'll say that it was probably among the cleaner hotels in which I've stayed there, but also among the tiniest. I was in London and then Switzerland for business trips, which meant that I needed a suitcase - there was literally no room for it.
As I was there on business, the internet connection was important and I found that it cut out a lot; not sure why but it was challenging for me; the other was the temperature. Without any heat, it was quite chilly, but to turn on the heater, even at the low setting, made the room quite hot; so I had to keep the window open. This was a bit of a challenge when it rains, which is known to happen in London.
As some of the other reviews suggest, the location is extremely good and quite central, but if you don't mind a very, very small room with spotty internet, I think it's acceptable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Graham,

Thank you very much for your recent review. All our room are standard size and we have different room categories with more space at less price difference. Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed and actions have already been taken. For your next visit please check in our website or ring us directly for assistance. We are looking forward to welcome you again.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed here for valentines. It was one of the best hotels I stayed in London so far. Reasonable prices, clean rooms, friendly staff and Newly refurb. I would go and stay here again. Its location is perfect as the underground is literally 2 min away from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks a lot for appreciating all the small touches that we believe is truly special. Our team strive to deliver the best service possible and I am delighted that we took special care of you. We are looking forward to welcome you again.
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

When I first saw the outside of the hotel I thought it looked run down but once inside it was fine very clean and tidy . The bedroom was fine with a lovely bathroom. Hotel just round the corner from earls court station would use this hotel as a base again

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank potterjja12
BadriSathya, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to let us know that you had an enjoyable stay.

Our hotel location is perfect to visit any area in London and we do hope you will have a chance to stay with us again on future occasions.
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2013

The rooms are small, but very clean and well kept. The hallways maybe need some renewing. The breakfast was adequate. The best part of this hotel was the value and location. It is literally around the corner from Earl's Court Station and makes navigating the city very easy. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on a budget.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank RobinSRoy
BadriSathya, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Robin,

Many thanks for letting us know of your recent experience in our hotel. All our rooms are of standard size and we have different room categories which are more spacious at less price difference.

As you mentioned our location is an added advantage to visit main areas of London in ease. On your next visit please check in our website or ring us directly for more assistance. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.