“Small but value for money”

City Continental London Kensington
Ranked #793 of 1,067 Hotels in London
denmark
“Small but value for money”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Very small rooms, but very clean and all you need + a good bed.The staff at the reception very helpfull and kind.
Close to Earls Court station.
And there are restaurants close by, when you come home tired after a long
day it is easy to find a place to eat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bireneDenmark
Anshu R, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 18 September 2013

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very happy to read that you have had a great trip here with us, and that our staff were all so helpful. We pride ourselves on this level of personal service, and it is great to read about that.
Thank you very much once again for your kind words, and when you plan a return to us please do reach out to reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk with any inquiries.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed two times in City Continental London Kensington hotel. My last visit was in February 2013. Hotel is conveniently located in London, close to Earls Court Station with very good connection to different parts of London, close to Earls Court Exhibition Centre. The rooms are nice, clean and modern designed, even if sometimes rather small, but for a short business or leisure journeys it is good choice. Breakfast does not include huge variety of dishes, but in the end simple is always good and appreciated. The staff was professional and friendly. I will come back to City Continental London Kensington in future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank EwaWarsaw_12

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very happy to read that the combination of our location, the high quality of our rooms, and the benefit of the breakfast received has been such a winning one! It sounds like you had a great time, and that is what we always aim to provide here at the City Continental.

Thank you very much once again, and when you plan a return, please do reach out to us at reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk to make the appropriate arrangements.

Prague
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Excellent location of this hotel allows you to travel around London with ease. Earl's Court Underground station is just around the corner, London is yours.

The rooms are not big but very quiet, comfortable and clean, so is the bathroom. Continental breakfast is satisfactory before you start your day.

Recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Johannescz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your kind feedback and were really happy to read that you enjoyed every aspect your stay from the team, the cleanliness of the hotel we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Operations Manager.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I was given this hotel as a package from emirates on my ICC Champions trophy Cricket tour to London. I didn't want to expect much from this hotel as I had taken a budget package but I was quite happy once I entered the hotel.
It's a small but decent and extremely clean hotel. The rooms r quite small too. I was supposed to stay here for a week but a friend of mine forced me to accompany him at his residence and I had to leave in 1 day.
I asked for a refund but they refused as my booking was done through emirates and they said they can only refund the money to emirates If the booking was agreed upon refundable rates. Anyways that doesn't matter.
The location at earls court is pretty decent and the hotel is close to the earls court tube station. I wouldn't mind going back to this hotel on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Shakeel Y
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am very pleased that the service that you have received was so to your liking, and that our location so perfectly suited your needs.Hope you had a great time watching cricket,I will share your kind words with the team here and I very much hope to welcome you back in the near future.

You can directly reach us on reservations@citycontinentalkesington.co.uk.

Best regards

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I would give this hotel 5* for some things and 1* for others...

This hotel really has the basics right;
- Fantastic location (2 mins from Earl's Court Tube Station)
- Clean, comfortable rooms that are large by London standards
- Air conditioning in rooms
- Helpful staff
- Excellent value for money

Overall, I think this is a great hotel and I would recommend it, however it's clear that there is still work to do to get things 100% right and it was a shame that a few things let down what would otherwise have been an excellent hotel in central London. That said, if you are looking for great value and a clean room to sleep in with no frills, then this is the place for you. However ...

The downsides;
- Breakfast is shocking - I have had MUCH better in $10 hostels. The breakfast room is 200% smaller than is needed for the hotel and so very crowded and there were no staff clearing tables so the place was a mess. The website promised freshly baked rolls and croissants but neither were available. The choice was sliced bread for toast and muffins or pain au chocolat that were no way freshly baked. 2 household size (4 slice) toasters to cater for a hotel with 74 rooms is madness and so the queues to make toast were huge. Terrible instant coffee from a machine and odd, synthetic tasting fruit juice. We didn't bother the second day of our stay and preferred to pay to eat elsewhere rather than eat here for free. (there are loads of choices in the area!)

- The stairs/communal areas are VERY dirty - Given the modern, very clean rooms and reception areas the corridors are filthy by comparison with stains on the carpets that are very worrying. I'm not sure if the hotel is mid-redecoration, and if so, maybe there is still work to be done but if not, the stair carpets are just shocking and should be ripped out and replaced asap.

- Disappearing furniture - When we arrived we had 1 chair and a 2 seat sofa in our triple room. When we returned after a day out, the sofa was gone. No explanation, no warning and the things that we had left on the sofa had been moved. We found this somewhat odd and being left with only 1 seat for 3 people was hardly ideal.

- Many stairs - our room was described as being up 'a couple of steps' when we checked in, it was actually down 2 full flights then up 2 more flights (44 steps in total, not a couple!), this was after going up 2 floors in the lift. This was no problem for us, but if we had had large luggage or mobility problems it would have been impossible.

So, overall, you cannot get a better room for this price in central London but don't pay for breakfast and only stay here if you aren't troubled by the other negatives. Personally, we enjoyed our stay and would go back, but this was a weekend away with friends, if I was staying longer or looking for a more luxurious holiday I would have been disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't bother getting the breakfast included - it's terrible and the cafes in the area are mu...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MrsMeatballs

Thank you very much for your recent review.

First and foremost, I must apologies for the concerns you have raised regarding, the breakfast should have been more smooth While I am pleased that our location and views were to your liking, particularly as you were staying for more than one night. I have raised your comments with the Manager, and we are looking at various initiatives to ensure that an experience such as this is not repeated.

Thank you very much once again for your constructive feedback, and for staying with us.

When you are planning a return, please do reach out to us at reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk and we will be more than happy to assist you with your booking.

Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The hotel was very clean, pleasant and helpful staff. The room was very small but more than adequate and met all my needs. There are restaurants and bar close by and the tube is round the corner, very well located. Breakfast was basic but again more than adequate and for £69/night all in it was excellent and I will stay again

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Winelover19
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent review on TripAdvisor.

Kind regards

Operations Manager.
Ayr
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The room was very small, but I sort of expected that with a single room. The bathroom is very small. Despite being pretty close to Earls Court Road there was not much noise to be heard in my third floor room.

I needed to book a hotel at the last minute, and this was far and away the best price in a central location.

The underground station is just a couple of minutes walk away, giving you access to the Piccadilly and District lines.

All in all I would say that this hotel was good value for money, and worked for me as a base to access central London without paying the silly prices of some of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ryans990
Anshu R, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and feel very proud that the team at City Continental Kensington were able to meet you expectations and that you loved the hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back at City Continental London Kensington.
You can book with us directly on reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk.

Kind Regards