“Faulty Towers”

Ranked #793 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Faulty Towers”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Never - or rarely - believe hotel descriptions on the Internet. Even when you have a second pair of eyes. Just like an online dating profile hides the fact your potential lover is socially inept, a hotel website does not reveal that the toilet seat may fall off when you are seated on it, or that the airconditioning switch is one metre above your height, or that your room will be so small you can barely open your suitcase. Or that NONE of the services stated in the online description are available - no laundry, no airport shuttle, no fridge, no good concierge service. The hotel staff told me it was not their job to carry my Three heavy bags up the four flights of stairs to my room.

Anyway, to compensate for it all I was given free internet for my week long stay (pity my room isn't appealing enough to want to stay around to use it!) and there was an upgrade to a bigger room the next day.

Every morning I woke to the sound of construction works taking place in the hotel. Sometimes the fire alarm would sound too.

The serviceman who came to is my toilet seat was pleasant enough but he had bits falling from his dreadlocks.

Breakfast was included in the price but it was ordinary - cold croissants, weird yoghurt and some fruit.

It was bearable to sleep in (apart from the plasticky mattress) but nothing more. Ok value but a tiny room with very few amenities.

The plus side was the excellent location - in Earls Court close to the tube and pubs and a laundromat. I felt extremely safe travelling solo.

I travelled in July 2012.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Carlyfindlay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights in the second floor.. the hotel and room were very clean, bathroom and toiletories were very good.. the hotel's location is perfect, a minute away walking from Earl's court station which includes 2 main lines Picadilly and district lines, as well as the disability and lift facilities.. the breakfast was continental and adequate .. Wifi was included but slow.. the room was very small but contains everything u need.. in-room safe, free luggage storge, lift were very beneficial... they gave me extra heater as the air condition doesn't heat the room well.. the walls isolation wasn't good and u can hear all the surrounding footsteps.. but overall i had a pleasant stay and would definitly come back.

Room Tip: I stayed in the second floor, single room 208
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
CityContinental K, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for the recent review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your kind feedback and were really happy to read that you enjoyed every aspect your stay from the team, the cleanliness of the hotel we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
As we usually declare, we aim to be a nice and friendly budget hotel that meets all the expectation of our guests.
Thank you very much once again, and when you plan a return, please do reach out to us at reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk to make the appropriate arrangements.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Really good location, staff friendly and room (121) nicely decorated. Will come here again when needing a cheap night in London!

One complaint, the wifi kept cutting out every now and again in the room, this combined with no signal on phone (not their fault) made life a bit difficult...

Room Tip: Single rooms are tiny. But as a tall person, was fine.

Thank you for the recent review on TripAdvisor.

I raised your comments about the Wi-Fi to the Manager and we will do our best to prevent that a situation like yours is repeated.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend in January as a couple. The hotel staff could not do enough for you-helped us find lots of attractions and told us which tubes to take. The hotel is located very close to the tube station and is very easy to get to if coming from Euston station. As I didn't think breakfast was included I was grateful for the continental breakfast offered. The hotel was always warm, which was great for the time of year. Rooms were cleaned daily and are very modern. If you're after a clean, modern, hotel close to the city centre I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelBug_CLG

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very happy to read that the combination of our location, the high quality of our rooms, and the benefit of the breakfast received has been such a winning one! It sounds like you had a great time, and that is what we always aim to provide here at the City Continental.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

When I arrived at the hotel my room was ready (I was early) and was allowed to use to luggage room. I was upgraded at no extra cost when I arrived back at the hotel later. The rooms were nice and clean. The guys on reception were very helpful (Bradley and Orville) and lovely to talk to. The hotel loses a point however as the shower was very slow draining so you had to turn it off and leave it for a bit to drain before you could turn it back on.

1 Thank Cerys1992
CityContinental K, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 5 February 2014

Thank you for the recent review on TripAdvisor.

I have raised your comments with the Manager, and we are looking for various initiatives in order that your experience with the shower is not repeated.
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Just spent a couple of days here and was allocated one of the annex rooms. Price was very good via one of the search engines so wasn't expecting the world. Few issues with heating, tv and access were all sorted by the reception staff. Breakfast is functional. Not great but adequate for a short stay. Any longer and you're struggling for choice. The hotel is being touched up paint wise at the moment, My room had plenty of scuff marks but overall pretty good. What killed it for me was the water temperature. Day 1 ice cold shower, day 2 after mentioning it to reception. Warm for one minute then cold. At five in the morning the supply was hardly being overused. I have simple needs for this price and unfortunately it didn't match those. Will spend a few extra pounds for hot water!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

First and foremost, I must apologies for the concerns you have risen regarding the water temperature should have been warmer, while I am pleased that our location and the efficiency of our staff were to your liking. I have raised your comments with the Manager, and we are making various tests to check what happened during your stay with the wate .
Thank you very much once again for your constructive feedback, and for staying with us.

When you are planning a return, please do reach out to us at reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk and we will be more than happy to assist you with your booking.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Rooms are always small in London, even when you pay a lot. This modern style room was all I needed. I did have to ask for a heater to warm the place up. If I can book this room for the same price next time I go to London, I certainly will. Breakfast was no problem, I don’t see why so many people complain: all I need in the morning was there, coffee, toast, cheese, yoghurt, juice. If you want a cooked breakfast: there are plenty pubs in the area where you can order that for little. My only suggestion would be to replace the table that blocks the coffee machine / counter and hire more help to clear the tables. All in all: very central, around the corner from the tube station and very good value for money!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
CityContinental K, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this review, 20 January 2014