“Nearly got four stars but . . . . .”

City Continental London Kensington
Ranked #849 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First of all the location is brilliant. The hotel is located a minutes walk from earls court tube station.
On arrival it seemed okay, clean reception, little small but a first impressions made it seem like a fairly decent budget london hotel. After all I didn't pay for the ritz. However after checking in were given a room on the third floor, after wandering around a maze of corridors, we went through a door into a corridor that had a filthy carpets, through a fire door and the stench of sewage hit us like a slap in the face. Unfortunately the room we had been allocated was on this very floor. We walked into the room and the smell was awful. I looked round and the bed covers had stains on them. I walked straight back out and down to reception and told them. Straight away I was told the hotel was full. After a discussion I was told there was a room in the basement she would show me. We went down to the basement and the room showed was between the lift and the public toilet, pitch black with a small window overlooking a service yard with the air conditioning unit. Nice. Not.
After yet another "discussion" where I asked the receptionist to come back up to the room and smell the original problem, in which she declined, a room on the top floor was found. She took me up, great room. I accepted and we got sorted. If this room had been allocated in the first place all would have been great. The room was a decent size, very small bathroom, tea and coffee and a flat screen tv and best of all, no smell! Thank goodness things got better! After a long day in London we arrived back and slept reasonably well, not too much noise even though we looked out over the street. Unfortunately being woken at 8am by the fire alarm didn't put us in the best of moods! Breakfast was okay, we missed the rush which was a bonus as the room it's served in is not fit for purpose however the breakfast was adequate. Not quite continental, toast, muffins croissants porridge cheese and cereals, enough to keep going and lots of cafés nearby if you want more substantial.the guy on reception on the Sunday was great, most helpful and polite. If I could be assured we wouldn't get a room that smelt of sewage and a fire alarm (false alarm) at 8am then I'd stay here again. However the palaver didn't mean a good start here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank h0nestadvis0r
CityContinental K, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent review.

First and foremost, I must apologies for the concerns you have risen regarding the room that you were allocated to, while I am pleased yo hear that finally you had a room as you expected. I have raised your comments with the Manager, and we are making various tests to verify the smell mentioned in your review.
With regards to the fire alarm, I am really sorry that it bothered you, but as you can imagine, the fire alarm system are meant to trigger every time there is a potential risk, in your case it was a false alarm, but it could have been a real one.
We put our guests safety before anything else, and we have to accept that the fire alarm system is very sensitive, as it is meant to be this way for everybody's safety.
Thank you very much once again for your constructive feedback, and for staying with us.

When you are planning a return, please do reach out to us at reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk and we will be more than happy to assist you with your booking.

There are newer reviews for City Continental London Kensington

Reviewed 24 April 2014

before I decide to book this hotel, I went a few times to ask questions about the rooms and since I have personally visited a room on the mezzanine floor, I specifically asked if it was possible to request for the 3rd or the 4th floor, during the reservation.
A week ago I decided to book for my father and then I went to ask if they could show me one of the possible rooms that would have given and they told me to come back this week because during the Easter they were full booked.
This morning around 12:00 I went again, and I ask if I could check the rooms and they told me they couldn't guarantee we'll have the rooms at the 3rd or 4th floor (I wasn't asking for a specific room but between 2 floors!
In addition, the two receptionists were rude and without any collaboration, the opposite of what I call hospitality.
Moreover I choose to book in this hotel because I was assured that they would have assigned one of the two top floors, then they changed version upon receipt of a credit card... I'm really disappointed.
It never happened to a situation so unpleasant and so incompetent staff. Totally dishonest.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EliM_Italia
CityContinental K, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to contact Tripadvisor and give us a feedback.
I looked in your reservation, and according to our system you didn’t stay yet in the Hotel, but your reservation is for the near future.
I have also looked at your allocation in our system, and it seems that my colleagues “who you kindly described as incompetent and lack of listening” did in fact not only placed your demands for the specific floor but also in principle allocated rooms on these specific floors. Our Staff is not incompetent and unhelpful but we don’t want to guarantee something that might, by some unforeseen circumstances, not happen. Several times guests have stayed longer than expected and then we had to remove all previous allocations.
As you were informed by the receptionist who took your reservation and by the confirmation letter you received, your booking has not been paid for, but we have taking an authorization for the first night of both rooms and this a standard procedure with all bookings. You have the right, as the confirmation you have says, to cancel your booking without charge 48 hours prior to day of arrival.
Once again we thank you for taking the time to write such constructive feedback.
Alfonso

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Firstly this hotel was a fair price for the location and standard of accommodation. Situated on a very quiet road, this hotel is just a few minutes walk from Earl's Court Tube station (which connects you with the Piccadilly, Central and District lines). Also, just a few minutes left or right from the end of this road are a range of restaurants (sit-down and fast food), shops and pubs.

The hotel was in a very good condition. All common areas and our room were clean and tidy, with modern furnishings. We booked a double-room which, for 3 nights, was a decent size for two people. The bathroom was a very good size, with exceptional shower facilities.

The staff were all very polite, great levels of customer service (including the bowl of mini-eggs found on the reception desk as it was Easter!). We were not sure when check-in time was, but our room was ready within 10 minutes of our arrival, at around 1.30pm.

The only slight downside was the breakfast (although as said there are plenty of cafés around). The food was decent (cereal, pastries, fruit, yoghurt) but the drinks let it down. The orange juice was out of a machine, as was the coffee. This makes it much quicker to get your drink at peak times, but the quality wasn't great. Also the breakfast room could do with 1 or 2 more tables and a few more plates/bowls/knives/forks as they kept running out.

Apart from that though there was really nothing to complain about this hotel. Very decent for a few nights stay, right in the heart of London. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James H
CityContinental K, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your kind feedback and we’re really happy to read that you enjoyed every aspect your stay from the team, the cleanliness of the hotel we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
As we usually declare, we aim to be a nice and friendly budget hotel that meets all the expectation of our guests.
Thank you very much once again, and when you plan a return, please do reach out to us at reservations@citycontinentalkensington.co.uk to make the appropriate arrangements.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I had read some negative reviews. I thought this hotel was very good value for the money. Staff were friendly and helpful. My room was at the back and not in the hotel. It was great. Quiet and working aircon.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank JoBuktin

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very happy to read that the combination of our location, the high quality of our rooms, and our staff has been such a winning one! It sounds like you had a great time, and that is what we always aim to provide here at the City Continental.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

The location of the hotel was great, particularly for the concert that the trip had been primarily booked for! There were also some nice bars, clubs in the area for afterwards.

The hotel was nice and clean. Breakfast was continental style, which was also nice. Pleasant stay all in all, and reasonable price for location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank rosieb-92
CityContinental K, Manager at City Continental London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent review on TripAdvisor.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here on a trip to an Earls Court convention. Given the general standard of budget London hotels -especially in this area -I wasn't expecting much, but actually I thought it was great. Just a few minutes from the exhibition centre, small but very well equipped, nicely furnished room, decent free wifi and an adequate continental breakfast. Friendly staff as well! Will definitely stay here again, and not just for Earl's Court.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Byron R

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our property.

I could not have given a better description of what we are all about - thank you for your kind words. You have also highlighted some very unique aspects of our property that could sometimes be mistaken - it’s a small nice Hotel with a fantastic location, focused on customers satisfaction.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I've stayed at this hotel before, but during my recent stay I noticed some improvements that make it better than satisfactory. As far as budget accommodation in London goes, this is the best I've seen. The renovations they were working on a couple of years ago are obviously completed. My room looked very new and the bathroom was very clean with beautiful new tiles and unblemished surfaces everywhere. The only downside was that the toilet paper dispenser was located so close to the toilet that it poked into my side while sitting down. The room was a typical size for a budget London hotel, which doesn't have any wasted space and is perfectly adequate for my needs (in fact I've seen smaller than this). The wifi used to be limited to 45 minutes free, but is now unlimited and worked consistently from the room. I think the changes to this hotel since my last stay have made it stand out from many of its competitors, so I think it is great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo