“A small family business”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of National Theatre

River Thames Fast Boat Experience in London
Ranked #74 of 1,595 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is a theatre that everyone can enjoy, from the classics and spectacular musicals to new plays and special events for the entire family.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Winchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A small family business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

really good play - good fun and fantastic seats in the Olivier. Took a while to find the entrance to the theatre due to refurbishment - perhaps a few signs might be in order?

• Czech first
  • Turkish first
Biggar
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Back stage tour at the National”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We booked for a backstage tour at the National Theatre, it was a great experience. We saw the three theatres and the guy doing the tour was informative, funny and extremely knowledgeable, describing the layout and construction of the theatres as well as all the hidden secrets about where they store the scenery etc. We then went backstage and saw the dressing room areas as well as the props, costume and set construction. A great experience.

1 Thank Lynda T
Manchester
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“National Theatre Backstage Tour - A Must For Theatre Lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

£8.50 very well spent.

As a theatre enthusiast but doesn't live in London, I have wanted to visit the National Theatre for a long time. I didn't come and see a show (time wasn't on my side) but I booked to go on the National Theatre Backstage Tour.

And it was excellent.

I did find it a little hard to find where to get in as there is a redevelopment project currently in progress and the Box Office is a pop up, but I found it in the end so no problem. (FYI, if you're standing outside the Book Shop with your back to it, turn left and there is a push button door and you can get in there and the Box Office is in the centre)

This is a must for theatre lovers - you learn about the history of the theatre and how it runs, how the design was intentional, how the acoustics are set out and much more! One of the highlights was going backstage (hence the name really) and seeing the props department, learning about the logistics of the sets and how they move, storage etc. It was fascinating and breath taking.

It's very exciting too, walking past all the dressing rooms where you know the likes of Maggie Smith, Dame Judi Dench & Benedict Cumberbatch have been. There are loads of pictures backstage too from past productions.

Our Tour Guide was Natalie and she was so lovely, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and assest to the National Theatre.

The tour is about 1 hour 15 mins and I would suggest booking in advance by calling 020 7452 3000, or to check availability in advance, they're pretty sharpish at replying - tours@nationaltheatre.org.uk.

We were told it was an open space too, which I love - so you can come and just enjoy the building and atmosphere whilst reading a book and a brew.

With your ticket you also get cheeky discount on the book shop (I think it was 15%) and I think it was 25% discount in the cafe.

2 Thank RachelRS
Norwich, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Alan Aykbourn farce, but not much raucous laughter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The play was competently presented, but just didn't sparkle. Location is great, on the south bank of the Thames, with a good selection of eating places near by, and close to Waterloo station.

London, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“King Lear...Simon Russell Beale...Sam Mendes...what's not to like?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

When I first saw the opera 'Barber of Seville' at the Met in New York it was amazing - I understood everything and it was a joy to behold. Then years later I saw the same opera at the Bastille Opera House in Paris and it was dreadful - incomprehensible and just not great - despite being the same music and the same libretto. And so I came with trepidation and excitement to my visit at the National to see King Lear, a play I didn't know, uncertain if I would keep up...unsure whether it would be a Met or a Bastille. Of course the critics were already raving so I had high hopes. My hopes were not only met but they were surpassed.
Of course I worked hard to concentrate and was helped so much by the extraordinary performances, stunning sets and lighting and superb direction. Simon Russell Beale is a giant, commanding the stage, and the theatre itself is comfortable and airy.
What a joy!