“Great Britain - dont miss it”
Review of National Theatre

Classic London Bike Tour of Central London
Ranked #113 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This is a theatre that everyone can enjoy, from the classics and spectacular musicals to new plays and special events for the entire family.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is definitely a show not to be missed and it claims your undivided attention throughout. There are several plots running and characters to follow and televisual information that both conveys aspects of the plot and provides hilarious infrormation - especially the tabloid headings that you can imagine having read!
Your worse nightmares about tabloid journalism are realised and then some and whilst the first half stretches your ability to believe that real people can behave so irresponsibly, the second half is so close to reality as to make you cringe and examine your own conscience.
Billie Piper is superb throughout - such a natural actress - and clearly savouring every moment. But the entire cast are excellent and make all their characters entirely credible.
It is in the Lyttleton Theatre where the seating is excellent.

All reviews
in 133 reviews
"auditorium"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The queue to pick up tickets for the matinee performance of 'Great Britain'. was very long and slow. An assistant encouraged us to use the self service machine, which we did. Two stalls' tickets only were dispensed, one where I thought I had booked and one several rows nearer the front. I thought I had made a mistake in the online booking. I sat near the front, with less than five minutes to go a lady claimed my seat, I showed my ticket and waited to see what happened. Two or three minutes later an usher hauled me out of the seat, saying loudly that the seat was in the name if this lady and mistakes like this were always happening. Very embarrassing!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great building, producing really exciting new work, and brilliant service from the front of house staff and box office. During my last visit my wife was taken ill during a performance, and we could not have been treated any better as my wife was looked after and the staff skilfully looked after us without any disruption to the show. We felt terrible for the people around us, but when we returned to the auditorium in the interval, everyone around us was so kind and caring, which made me think that The National fosters a great atmosphere and warmth in its audience.
Aside from odd events such as this, we've always had a perfect experience at The National, and always look forward to new season announcements.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

When I was in London I took a group tour of the Theatre - this is included in the London pass if you have that and it is totally worth it! You get to have a look at the workings of the theatre, the workshop areas and a description of the technology in the theatre. I still talk about this almost a year later because it is so much more than a theatre.
Also, by doing this tour you support the theatre and they are always really appreciative of each person. The guide was lovely and knew just about everything, as well as talking to us about what was on at the time if it wasn't something we were familiar with.

1  Thank Alexandra C
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Never having been to the National Theatre, we booked our tickets well in advance, and since we didn't know the situation re food/restaurants in Southbank (we live in Canada), we booked dinner at the National Theatre's restaurant before the show as well.

The play was “A Small Family Business" by Alan Ayckbourn. Lots of fun. We had great seats, but looking around during intermission (walking up to the mezzanine to take a peek around) I noted that there really isn't a bad seat in the house (we were in the Olivier Theatre).

Given its reputation, I would always expect an excellent production of whatever play they are staging and we were not disappointed.

The best part of the evening, however, was the amazing food at their restaurant. In our neck of the woods, the dinner part of dinner/show packages is usually anemic and minimalist - bit of a cash grab. Not at NT. We had 3 courses and were stuffed. Good sized portions and it was hard to choose amongst the variety on the menu. The service was quick and friendly.

We had planned to go back just for dinner, but ran out of time!