“Change of usage”

The Park Tavern Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Park Tavern Hotel
Ranked #317 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Change of usage”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

The pub has closed down and become a Bulgarian restuarant called "The Black Sea" restaurant. It does not yet appear to be open for busness so I have no idea what it is like. The rooms upstairs do not appear to have been refurbished (it has all happened vey quickly and I do not think there has been enough time for the rooms to have been upgraded) but I do not know this for sure. Although the pub has been refurbished into a restuarant, it does not look very welcoming or atmospheric to me: but that is not based on any direct experience of eating there. I assume the place has changed hands so I would advise anyone to be cautious until some up to date reviews are posted. I live locally, hence this review.

Room Tip: Await reviews as this place has changed ownership
Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank William C

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband and I booked this Hotel for the 4th -6th August so that we could go to the Olympics as it was within walking distance of the Olympic Park. We arrived in the afternoon of the 4th August and walked from Plaistow station to this dreary looking hotel wondering what it would be like inside. We went into the empty bar and paid the barman for the second night and were shown to our room which was No.1. The door handle was held on by one screw and we were shown inside which had the bathroom and tea making equipment and one bed under the stairs, and the double bed was upstairs, and then up a step to the bed. The matress was awful and you could feel every spring, which would be very uncomfortable and the 1950's TV didn't work. It was clean but everything was ancient!! We went down to the bar and told the barman that the bed was uncomfortable and the TV didnt work. He said he only worked there and would tell the owner, and he could fix the TV "no problem 100%! We left to go into Stratford and returned later that night, nothing had changed and we didn't visit the bar again. Breakfast next morning was good and the lady looked after us very well, and got up early for us the next morning as we had to be in the Park for a morning session. During the second night, I got up to do to the toilet downstairs and missed the step from the bed and bruised my arm hitting the wall to save myself from falling down the stairs. There were no bottoms in the drawers in the chest under the TV, the bed and dining linen was clean. The hotel was apparently full and we have no knowledge of the other bedrooms. This bedroom should not be available for letting.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ForceTranquille2
Lincs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

In West Ham, not far from Stratford, the Pub/Inn is shabby from the exterior and shabby from the interior.Extremely faded splendour and poor conversion. Strange revue bar which was often locked due to specialist clientele functions. En suite room was like a cheap DSS B and B. A colleagues bed mattress was actually supported by a bed base which was full of old books!! Some rooms have shared bathrooms and showers. Breakfast was good though and even had cafetiere coffee. I could only recommend this place if you were a lone contractor doing long days and wanted a clean bed and good breakfast for one night.

Room Tip: top floor, corner double over the front door. it has three windows and one is double glazed! en suit...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul G
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Awful shabby squalid den , which is so out of date, the Romans probably stayed there , rooms are ok , and manager was polite and pleasant , as were the cook and she was brilliant , getting up extra early to make breakfast , however the location and dark dingy hotel cannot be overlooked, downstairs had a bar with no light or windows in , also two buckets catching water ! ! And best of all in our room was a three inch tv with a green only screen amazing to watch the footy on ....it should be closed down for refurbishment

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank stickler1927
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Hotel location was great just what we needed, but hospitality was appaulling. The website says you can call between 12am (being midnight) and 11pm so when i got there to find the place all locked up and no reception etc i called the mobile numbers on the door which says to call if you need assistance at 6am when i arrived. I know i couldn't get into the room until noon but i also needed to know where this free parking was so i was safe. I got a bad attitude from the owner who answered the call for calling so early. When i got back at noon the place was still locked up despite being told it would be open at 10.30am. So i called the number back and someone came to the door to let me in. I got my key and was shown to my room. The toilet was communal in the corridor and was the filthiest i have ever seen and have taken a photo just of the window. Then we got a card signed for breakfast at the cafe over the road because apparantly the cook wouldn't be in til 9am so i didn't get the breakfast i wanted which was cereals etc. I am totally disappointed in the whole experience and i know that other people staying there who we had breakfast with had the same opinion as me. I felt it wasn't worth the money at all. And i don't like to live in filth even for one night. The tv also didn't work because apparantly someone pinched the freeview box so i waited all afternoon to get one and had to ask twice for it. There was even food and crumbs in the tea and coffee tray which hadn't been cleaned which was stale and mouldy. Not even sure if there was a bath or a shower to use as we were not told and i couldn't find one. Not impressed with the experience at all.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bradford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

stayed there this weekend 12 may ,the room was adequate for my needs ,and the breakfast was excellent, the staff were very efficient,if your used to budget hotels this is the one for you.if your used to travelinns then stick with travelinns .

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Aberdeen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Very basic accommodation for those on a budget only. Our main complaint was that the central heating was on and the radiator was not able to be turned down so this overheated the room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple