“A fantastic hotel but at a tricky location” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crowne Plaza London - Battersea
Ranked #204 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Eskilstuna, Sweden
“A fantastic hotel but at a tricky location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I went there with my husband and 7-month old daughter. As we walked up to the hotel a member of the staff greeted us and took our bags and showed us to the reception and that set the standard for all service at the hotel which was top notch.
The room was really good with a view of the Thames and the Heliport. It had a flatscreen TV above the bed and above the bathtub. The bathroom was the nicest and cleanest hotel bathroom I've ever seen and had both a bathtub and a separate shower.
The room was right above the heliport and we saw a few helicopters land/lift off but you could hardly hear it so it was not bothering us.
The room and the service was perfect BUT some things made us not want to come back.
The most important factor is the hotels location. It is lovely by the Thames BUT you have to walk about 0,8 miles/1,2 km to get to Clapham Junction were you can take the Overground downtown. The walk itself isn't so bad but you have to walk through a ghetto-like area. We did not feel safe to walk there at night (see the attached photo).
Another factor that annoyed us was that wi-fi isn't free but costs £16/day. That did not feel like a top notch hotel. In todays society you are so dependent on internet that it should be standard in hotels or at least at a affordable price. You have a bedside table lamp that you light up just by your touch but not free wi-fi.
The third factor that annoyed us was that they charged our credit card £215 as a kind of deposition without even telling us about it. We got the money back a few days after we checked out of the hotel but still - not okay! I don't know if that is standard procedure but that is what happened to us.
Our booking didn't include breakfast and if we would have wanted that it would have cost us £19/day per person for a standard english breakfast. Much to expensive for us.
All in all the hotel and the staff was fantastic. The most luxurious hotel I've ever stayed at but it's location being on the "wrong" side of the thames and the dodgy walk to Clapham Junction makes us not want to come back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Verta1, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your mixed comments on the hotel following your recent stay with us.
Hotel Verta by Rhombus is a luxurious hotel with breathtaking views over the river Thames and the London Heliport.
I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that there is a local bus, 170, from Clapham Junction to the Hotel which stops on York road.
I am sorry to see that the pre authorisation of your credit card caused you an inconvenience, this is a common practice upon arrival.
We do have available various and very competitive rates inclusive of breakfast and wi fi, please check our web site for the most suitable offer.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Anna Asimakopoulou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

My partner and I went to this restaurant as a treat from his mum, for his birthday. The hotel was very clean, well presented and beautiful.
The staff were also very polite and helped us whenever we needed them.
Our package also included the Spa which was a lovely experience for us, we used it the evening that we got there and also the next morning! It was all very clean, and we got a dressing gown, flipflops and water.

I felt very safe in the hotel and even the maid helped us around the hotel to tell us what was what around the area!

The food and drink for us was a little pricey but we got a bus into the town and grabbed a Pizza Express for dinner which was fine for us!

The hotel also had a free shuttle bus which took us to Sloanne Square station which was also very helpful for us the next day!

The hotel room was lovely! a huge tv including a telly in the bath! Tea and cofffee, wifi, VERY comfy bed and complimentary chocolate truffles for my partners birthday as well as a card signed by all the staff.

It was a lovely experience and id love to go again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Verta1, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear guest,

We are very thankful for your kind review . We look forward to seeing you back at the Hotel Verta by Rhombus.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We had a 70th Birthday party for our Mum on Saturday 21st July at Hotel Verta.

Mum had an absolutely fabulous time, as did everyone who attended. They all commended us on choosing such a lovely hotel. From the greeting cocktails, to the last dance, the evening was perfect. All the staff were helpful, courteous and polite and nothing was too much effort. The only regret is that the night had to end... Honestly, it could not have been better. Once again, many thanks to all the staff, especially Tejas, the Asst Food & Beverage Manager who looked after us on the night. I would certainly recommend Hotel Verta to anyone.

northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed at the Verta again last weekend, which was my wife's birthday, for about the 4th time. In the past we've never had a river view so I emailed the hotel beforehand...

Instead of writing a review I've posted my email & Sara's response. The weekend turned into a sad one but we look forward to visiting again soon...

"Hi Sara,

Thank you.

I just wanted to drop you a personal email for making our stay last night special. Please feel free to use this for your 'PM' meetings etc.

We've stayed at the Verta several times & never had a river view so that was special plus we saw a helicopter land & go (it's a man thing...), plus the fruit. It's my wife's birthday tomorrow (23rd) so it was very special, plus we moved my eldest daughter into her new flat in Tooting Bec.

Can you also please pass on my thanks to the duty manager (lovely guy) on Saturday night plus both the concierge on Sat night & Sunday morning. The guy on Sunday morning who fetched the car is priceless & great fun too - please tell him "he's the man!" (he'll understand).

In today's environment Customer Service is not enough, it's now all about ' Customer Experience' & that was perfect.

Unfortunately we had to leave early this morning as my father's been very ill for sometime & I received a call at 7am saying that he'd died so we had to head off up North.

However, the experience at the Verta was great again & as our daughter is now local we'll be back soon.

Many thanks once again

Kind regards

David"

"Dear David,

I am so sorry to hear about your father and that you had to end your visit here early. My condolences to you and your family.

Thank you very much for the lovely feedback, I am delighted to hear that me and my team made your stay a memorable one.

I will absolutely pass on your comments to all staff and especially Kaiser (the Weekend Duty Manager) and the Concierge.
I certainly look forward to see you coming back soon. Me and my team will be more than happy to have you and your family as our guests again.

Kind Regards

Sara"

Go on & book it...it's a great experience

See you soon Verta

1 Thank northampton15
Verta1, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear David,

A massive thank you for your comments and I sincerely hope we get the chance to welcome you back very soon.

Please accept our condolences on the loss of your father.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

A lovely, modern hotel next to the London Heliport. Although not near a tube station, it is right on a bus route which takes you to Victoria Station as well as the hotel's private shuttle to Sloane Square. Clapham Junction station is a short walk away. Our room was extremely comfortable and clean and the bathroon very modern and well equipped. We overlooked the heliport, but no noise as all the rooms are soundproofed. All the staff we came in contact with were very friendly and most helpful. We only used the restaurant for breakfasts, which were also very good. I would have no hesitation in staying there again when in London.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Verta1, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear guest,

thank you for letting us know about your experience in our hotel. I’m glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. Also, I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our members of staff.
I look forward to seeing you back in our hotel soon.

Gibraltar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, great room, lovely spa albeit a bit small if you are used to the bigger chains. Clean & friendly reception team. Restaurant is just ok, decent fair. Slow service. Chef tries to over complicate dishes, advice keep it simple! If the restaurant improves id give it a 4 star rating for the price. Good location if you heading to Heathrow, very near Chelsea, Wandsworth, on the South bank. Not bad, will go back.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
thank you for your comments on the hotel following your recent stay with us.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Ripon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

The hotel was very good and on arrival we were upgraded to a room overlooking the River Thames. The room itself was clean and modern with a very comfortable bed and a fresh modern bathroom. The only downside is that it is not near a tube station and it is a little difficult to get to and from the main sights of London but there was a useful one way free shuttle service to Sloan Square. Having said that, there was an extremely attractive walk by the Thames that takes you alongside Battersea Park, across Chelsea Bridge and eventually to the Houses of Parliament.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear guest,

May I take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time posting your review on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I sincerely hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the very near future.