“Luxury hotel, weird location”

Crowne Plaza London - Battersea
Ranked #214 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London
“Luxury hotel, weird location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here as a special personal pre-Christmas treat to myself on a bargain last-minute deal.

The staff - particularly Peggy on the front desk - were professional and friendly.

Room was extremely spacious and well-appointed, however I did find the lighting and air-conditioning a tad complicated. Maybe the instruction booklet was missing? Excellently comfy bed, extremely quiet, and truly fantastic bathroom.

I loved the spa area and used it twice. Very luxuriously equipped, relaxing and almost empty on a Saturday night/ Sunday morning - bonus!

I didn't eat there for main meals. The breakfast was pretty decent but agree it would be nicer served at dining tables - perhaps with some free papers?

Downsides were few but significant. Firstly, the lack of free wifi which is just plain weird in this day and age (I was passed a code to enable me to rack up £16 a day cost for using it!). Secondly, the location. The river is lovely, but you're basically stuck on the edge of a Battersea social housing estate with nothing around.

But: very nice on a cheap pamper night. And they've got a fridge in the room, so it's perfectly possible to dodge the mini-bar prices with judicious purchases at Clapham Junction before you check in. I had a lovely, relaxing evening away from home - thank you!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank adventurerette
Verta1, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here and you were happy with Peggy’s assistance.

In terms of our location, yes it is not central London but if you want something away from Londn’s buzz, well, this is the place! As other guests mentioned there is no problem in getting around London. We have a complimentary shuttle service to Sloane Square, plus the bus 170 that goes to Clapham Junction and from there trains to everywhere in London. Or you can always take a walk along the river, or directly to Clapham Junction station which is 15min away.

I am happy to inform you that from 1st January 2014 most of our bookings include now Wi-Fi complimentary. This facility will be extended to all our bookings from May 2014.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance for future reservations and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Well appointed hotel with good rooms, excellent bathroom and both a kettle and a Nespresso machine. Breakfast was good but as it is served in an area that doubles as a bar, the seating is not that comfortable. Our stay was spoiled by three niggles: no mobile signal in the room- we were on the 2nd floor in spite of requesting a high floor; the gym opens after 8 in the morning so we could not use it due to time pressures; the lighting system in the room is challenging to manage and no instructions!
It is a bit out of the way- on a bus route to Victoria but good walks along the river. Would probably return.

Room Tip: Ask for river view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your clear review where you highlighted few important “niggles” for us. I am glad to hear that although you had few little issues, you will return. To ensure that your return here will be perfect, here are few tips from me.

If you request a room at high floor, although it is not guaranteed, you would have better chances to get it if you could inform us directly. Most of the time when booking a room through a third party we do not get always the information.

I believe you had a room with a river/ Helliport view (a complimentary upgrade). We are working now to find a better option for our WiFi in these rooms, as sometimes it’s interfering with the Heliport.

Our Spa/ Gym it’s open from 8.30am to 8.30pm, however if you come to Reception out if these times we will accompany you directly to the Gym so you may use it out of these times also.

I hope these answer few of your concerns. But, if you decide to come back please feel free to contact me and I will personally assist with your reservation.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

I had never felt so upset about receiving bad service to the point of feeling the need to vent my anger through a public review blog for the world to see but, this time I feel so angered that it is almost as if I wanted to start a campaign and strike against places like the Hotel Verta by Rhombus International being allowed to operate and remain open under the so called "5 star and glamourous service" service label. Well, let me tell you:I it is nothing like it!
My boyfriend booked this hotel on the weekend of the 7th of December with the intention of surprising me with an "unforgettable experience" for my 30th birthday (it WILL NOW BE UNFORGETTABLE but for all the wrong reasons). He had taken the time to make the booking in advance ensuring no stone would be left unturned and every detail worked out to perfection! Well, as it turns out, nobody in the "5 star" hotel had a clue who we were or the reason for our stay: brilliant start! The receptionist who accompanied us to the room on arrival, did not have a clue where the room was because, in her own words not ours, she had only been in the hotel for 2 weeks. After wandering around the corridors back&forth for 5minutes she finally figures out which one was our room! The key she had with her failed to open the door so she had to use a master key and promised to have our key ready after the massage booking we had in the spa. We were told there will be champagne on arrival, but there was not champagne whatsoever when we entered the room putting us in the uncomfortable position of having to remind her about it. We are told somebody would bring it soon and were left to get ready into our robes&slippers for a massage at the Spa which, at this point, we were looking to the most! So, we head down to the Spa, semi-naked (must highlight); and are greeted by a disorientated beautician who was not expecting us at all. She asks for my boyfriends' name, checks her list down (still disorientated), and then turns to me and says: "are you having a massage as well?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? (me thought) NO, I JUST HAPPEN TO LOVE GOING AROUND IN PLACES DRESSED IN A ROBE AND SLIPPERS!! >:-S oh boy! This couldn't get any worse! An hour after the massage we head back upstairs to our room and, oh - oh, we dont have a key to enter! What to do? Boyfriend is then forced to go down to the lobby (with his manly bits barely covered by the stupid robe) to try and get someone's attention to get us in to our room! But, hold on, where was I while my boyfriend wandered around the lobby half-naked? Well, waiting in the corridor outside the our room unsuccessfully trying to pretend I wasn't there while fellow guests passed me by on their way to theirs. Shameful! After nearly 10minutes (which felt more like a century) my boyfriend finally re-appears with a man who came to open the door for us. First thing I notice upon entering the room for the second time, no champagne bottle to be seen! We had to remind this man, again, that we were suppossed to be receiving a complimentary champagne bottle. We felt more like beggars rather than a couple of people paying for a "5 star" service! Oh! But the story has only just started!!! Dinner time, how to forget! On arrival to the restaurant, a robotic-like waitress who has no idea of what eye contact, smiling or customer service means tells us she knows nothing about our dinner booking as no one has told her anything about it! Boyfriend is forced, for the third time, down to the lobby to get someone to clarify this to Mrs "computer says NO" e-waitress! we are then chucked away in a dark corner pub-like table, far from what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel dinner (you know: white table cloth, laid with expensive crystal glasses and impressive silverware). Then, a very un-engaging waiter turns up 5minutes later enquiring from us whether we were eating from either the Set or the A La Carte
menu? My face dropped!!! How dare you ask such thing to the guests themselves? Clearly, if my boyfriend had stated he had a dinner booking as he was staying at the hotel, this information should have been pro-actively
seeked for by the waiter himself from the lobby staff rather than embarrasing us, the guests, with such a question!! We were once again, made to feel we were in one of those motorway "Motels" rather than in a five star hotel. Appalling!!! And the story does not end here...after a rather disappointing "romantic dinner",! we thought we would at least end the night with a peaceful, calm and deep sleep! How optimistic! At 5am we were awaken by an alarming beeping sound and given racing heart rates THREE TIMES IN A ROW! The fire alarm kept going off because, apparently, someone was using a hairdryer in
one of the rooms. Oh dear! We were so fed up by the whole thing that, although we were entittled to stay "enjoying" the hotel facilities until midday the following day, we were checking out by 10am as couldn't wait to be out of that place. And when we thought the nightmare had already ended, a week later my boyfriend realised his credit card had been charged twice!! Calls & emails of complains ensued, demanding an explanation! To which the manager replied in what looks more like a "copy and paste" reply generalised draft that he must have somewhere in his files to dish out in reply to customers
complaints. You can imagine, our email looks exactly like the blog I am posting here, with factual details of every minute of our stay in his hotel. His reply instead, goes along the lines of: " we apologise for the inconvenience, we will review and use your feedback for the future training of our staff in order to improve our service...." No particular addressing to any of my comments whatsoever. But it is people like this that have turned the leisure and service industry into a complete joke! The Verta hotel has some serious management issues and its staff should be completely banned from the hotelier-service industry altogether! What a disgrace!!!! PLEASE DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE FEW POSITIVE COMMENTS FOUND IN HERE. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! THESE OBVIOUSLY COME FROM PEOPLE ACTING IN THE INTEREST OF THE HOTEL's PUBLICITY AND REPUTATION.

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank Personal_Trainer_UK
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor website. Tripadvisor is an independent website where anyone who stayed in a hotel, can post a review of that property. In order for your review to be published you need to honour a reservation as in checking in and out of that property.

Once again, I am so sorry to hear that your experience with us was not what you were expecting.

I hope that you will decide to return to our hotel as we would be delighted to prove you that at Hotel Verta by Rhombus our guests always come first.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Took my boyfriend for his birthday, in my booking as a special request I informed them it was a surprise birthday and I was hoping they would provide a little somethin complimentary but my request was ignored. Considering I paid over £200 for a room I was a little let down. However the view was lovely and we got to see a few helicopters land and take off as we had a river/helipad view. The pool/jacuzzi area was nice I did expect a swimming pool it turned out to be a heated one which wasn't bad but I found a plaster floating in the water on the side! The room service menu practically had zero interesting meals so we went out for food and for breakfast in bed (even though my room was inclusive of a breakfast) I would have to pAy an additional charge, can't remember how much but it was more than I was willing to pay. Loved the bathroom and shower are though!!

Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to detail some feedback from your recent stay at Hotel Verta by Rhombus.

We do appreciate all your comments regarding the hotel facilities and service and will take on board your suggestions, thank you.

Derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

My first visit was 12 mths ago, second last month and today is 3rd visit. In yr change from Molton brown toiletries to own brand and less of them, breakfast moved from restaurant to lounge and almost eaten on knee and deals on drinks ( happy hour) not been offered for last year even though still advertised on full sized window just as you enter hotel. Voiced concerns but seemed to be of no importance to management!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with redspottedhanky.com

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

On Thursday 19 December booked two rooms - one for mother and sister, the other for me and my daughter. We drove there from Sussex. The hotel was brilliant - one of the best i have ever stayed at in UK. Drinks and food a bit pricey but it is a 5 star hotel. We didn't have time to use the spa facilities which looked great. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows excellent. The shower and bathroom exceptionally good. The only minor criticism is that you have breakfast using coffee tables - would be nicer if the tables were normal dining tables. Would definitely recommend this hotel and will be going back

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

A friend and I had a very nice spa day here recently, including champagne Afternoon Tea.
What a treat!

ARRIVAL
Arrival is a bit difficult, as the location means this hotel must surely be more for business than pleasure. It’s about a 15 minute walk from Clapham Junction and isn’t the easiest place in the world to find. Of course, if you have access to a helicopter or nice boat, you can arrive in style!
The staff were certainly welcoming.

SPA
The changing rooms are small-ish but very nicely kept indeed. I love the shampoo and handwash they use. There are a number of lockers (no coins needed) with lovely fluffy gowns and slippers. There are two very nice showers as well.

The spa consists of:
Steam room, Tepidarium, Sauna, Foot spa, Experience showers and a hydrotherapy pool.
The pool is warm but not a Jacuzzi – but it certainly wasn’t too cold, which I have experienced before. It was unusual as made of some sort of stainless steel and had various features, including bubble seats and a large metal tubular seated area with bubbles.

The whole spa is very dark and dimly lit with glowing light. This creates a really nice and relaxing atmosphere. I felt hugely relaxed by the experience.
There are jugs of water and lemon around.
There were only a few people when we visited on a Monday, which was nice as we had the pool to ourselves.

AFTERNOON TEA
The afternoon tea had some nice sandwiches, 3 scones each and a selection of cakes – really good option! Disappointingly ours was served on slate rather than the cool tiered stand we saw other guests had. But it tasted very nice indeed! My only suggestion is that more jam and clotted cream is needed, given the 3 scones each.
If you’re lucky enough, you’ll get to sit by the window which overlooks the Thames and the riverside helipad.

If you’re not a millionaire, then it’s a nice day of luxury where you can watch millionaires fly in and see how the other half live. But almost certainly, you won’t want to leave!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends