“Perhaps they had an off day..........”

Crowne Plaza London - Battersea
Ranked #218 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This should be a great hotel - the location offers a panoramic view of the Thames and the oversize rooms are very well furnished with comfy beds and luxury bathrooms. However my initial impressions started to unravel when I discovered that the TV in the bathroom was inoperative. A call to reception resulted in an engineer visiting ten minutes later; he couldn't fix it and left saying within five either he would return or reception would call me. Twenty minutes later I called reception to find out what was going on "Oh I don't know, I have only just come back from my break. We have to reset the system, my manager will call you back straight away". After thirty five minutes of waiting I presented myself at reception for a rant. A further five minutes of behind the door discussion resulted in me being moved to another (upgraded room). Situation recovered? Err, no. In this room the bath tap was seized solid, defying all attempts to move it. I didn't feel inclined to go through the complaint procedure again, accepting that the promise of being able to watch TV in the bath would be unfulfilled. A light meal in the Ambrosia bar was very pleasant, but service delivery was glacially slow. The icing on the cake was the call at 2300 from reception asking me if everything was alright, interrupting a period on intimacy with my partner!!!! A hotel that promotes itself as five star ought to at least ensure that the facilities in the room work - how hard is it to turn on a TV or check a tap turns? And why did it take an hour for someone to decide to move me to another room? I rather got the impression they hoped I would accept the situation and go away. I'm employed as a Quality Inspector by an airline. On this showing Verta failed, so I won't be recommending it and I have cut back the ratings below due to the above woes. I shall return next month and give them another chance, because the other reviews here are so positive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chris p
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2015

Dear chris p,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is nice to hear that you liked the quality of food at the hotel. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel in the area. It seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience because of the inoperable television in the bathroom and slow service at the restaurant. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you. Your comments will help us improve our service and offer a great experience for our guests.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a great hotel. From the moment you enter the staff couldn't be more pleasant. Obviously it's not too central but the free shuttle that runs to Sloane Square between 8 am and 6 pm helps a lot. The room was a great price...I paid 99 pounds . The room itself is modern with everything you could want. Internet is good. Not all taxi drivers know where it is, but if you say it's next to the Battersea Heliport you get there. It's fun to watch the helicopters arriving while having a drink. Give it a try.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Tejas G, Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Roddy,

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing this with all Trip Advisor’s readers. We are happy and delighted that we managed to offer you an enjoyable stay and modern experience within the hotel amenities and facilities. We are also glad that you were happy with the view and experience of Heliport and river adjacent to the hotel.

We look forward to welcome you again in the near future and exceed your expectations as our valued guest.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived quite late on a friday, the staff were very friendly, and allowed me 2 bring my things up before parking downstairs.

When we arrived back to the hotel after a night in central, we got into bed, and right away, we sunk into the mattress. It was so soft, as were the pillows.

The breakfast was amazing. My wife is vegeterian, and she was also very impressed.

The nespresso machine in the room is also a bonus.

Staff very friendly, we would definately stay again, and next time, utilise the SPA.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Gurpreet,

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing this with all Trip Advisor’s readers. We are happy and delighted that we managed to offer you a comfortable, relaxing and pleasant stay and experience. We are also glad that you were happy with room amenities such as Nespresso machine and facilities within the hotel such as Ambrosia Bistro & Spa.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

went to London for about five day and really enjoyed it. the hotel was staff was excellent. The room had great amenities including a t.v in the tub so I did miss the game while relaxing in the tub. the spa was wonderful spent a day down there. make sure you wake for breakfast nothing like tea and a great view of the river. very close to the tube if you like to get out and explore don't be afraid (the area if safe) to try a few restaurant near the hotel they may not look it but they are pretty good.

Room Tip: any room will due
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank eric s

Dear Sarah,

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing this with all Trip Advisor’s readers. We are happy and delighted that we managed to offer you an enjoyable stay and experience. We are also glad that you were happy with room amenities and facilities within the hotel such as Ambrosia Bistro & Spa.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We booked a one night stay on a Saturday night as we were attending a wedding nearby.
Booking our reservation was easy - polite and efficient staff.
My arrival needed to be early and they did their utmost to get the room ready for us. My car was taken away quickly and bags carried to my room whilst I checked in and was super-quick (I was in a rush to get to the wedding!).
Everything we needed was tended to politely, swiftly and efficiently with a minimal of fuss - all of the staff were impeccably helpful but not overbearing. The room & bathroom was spacious literally spotless - we had a great room on the top floor as I'd requested a view of the helipad and river (which incidentally was really quiet!).
Great breakfast too with high quality food especially considering it was a buffet and not a la carte breakfast service.
We had an excellent nights sleep on an incredibly comfortable bed and decided to try and squeeze in some time in the lovely little spa and arranged a check out an hour late which they didn't charge for as there was nobody due to arrive until later in the day!!
Check out was straightforward & the reception & concierge staff were brilliant.
For a one-night stay we felt thoroughly refreshed and impressed with every single element of the hotel and the service. I would unquestionably recommend this hotel and will be staying here again. In addition I would choose to come out here over and above staying in a central London hotel in future as its simply on a different level in terms of personal and professional quality service. The bar has been set high!!!

Room Tip: * If you don't mind the helicopters, get a room on the helipad side as the view is great especia...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sarahw742
Verta1, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Sarah,

Thank you very much for your great review and for sharing this with all Tripadvisor’s readers. I am so happy that we managed to offer you a brilliant stay and you were fully refreshed after your night with us. Think about us again when in need of a break.

Brandy

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here in October 2013, we booked our stay via booking.com, and we stayed for one night for £135.15 (breakfast included). I would just like to clarify to all the bad reviews that are on here, they are nonsense. We had an amazing stay here, the quality and value is worth every penny for what you get. The staff at the reception and dining area were more than happy to help to go that extra mile for you and we had a relaxing stay. The only negative aspects was the location (bit tricky to find, and out of the way of London's attractions). However we would definitely stay again due to how classy and great the hotel is for value. Its 5 star for a reason.

Room Tip: Book a river view, worth the money.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments with everybody and recommending our property to other travellers. I am sure that your visit will encourage you to return and we are already looking forward to offer your another 5* experience with us.

Brandy Dragan
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 2 March 2014

What an awesome hotel. Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Hotel Verta after a day out together in London. I had booked the room in advance through trivago at a very reasonable price, even for a Sunday. The room itself looked very nice on the website and it definitely didn't fail to impress!! It was just fantastic. We had a double room with a view. The view from our room overlooked the River Thames and the hotels own private helipad. We were lucky enough to have great weather both on the day of check-in and check-out making the view even better. The room itself was very spacious, one of the biggest hotel rooms I've actually stayed in. We had a huge plasma tv on the wall directly opposite the bed. The bed itself was a Queen size. Very comfortable with plenty of pillows and cushions. All the light switches, from the bedside lamps to the bathroom lights were all touch-sensitive controlled which I thought just showed that touch of class. The bathroom was also very big, very clean and very modern/ stylish and decorated to a very high standard. The bathroom had a separate, very spacious walk-in shower as well as a bath. There was also a plasma tv in the bathroom, directly opposite you as you laid in the bath. In the centre of the bathroom was a huge heated mirror. When I say huge I mean enormous. The bathroom was finished to the highest specification and really has to be seen to be fully appreciated.
We had breakfast the next morning in the restaurant/ breakfast area, overlooking the River. The food was a buffet style with a selection of hot and cold food depending on your requirements. The food itself was very good and the service was very good.
My only negative comment about this hotel is it's location. It is quite a walk to the nearest tube station and it's a good journey away from the heart of London. Yet, saying this, there is a bus-stop about 2 minutes from the hotel which takes you to Victoria Station right in the heart of London. We also got a cab back from the West End, it was roughly £20, very reasonable for the early hours of the morning when the tubes are no longer running.
All in all I can't recommend this hotel enough. If your after a hotel that will make you say 'Wow' then this is the hotel for you.
I can't wait to go back with my girlfriend in the summer!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a River View for awesome views of the River Thames and the private heliport.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

With comments like yours we do not need any more marketing and it’s such a pleasure to read it. Thank you!

I am sure one day will welcome you again here!

Brandy Dragan