“Terrible experience made worse by terrible management”

Crowne Plaza London - Battersea
Ranked #252 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 August 2014

On arrival at the hotel I was promptly checked in by Zsofia. When I entered the room allocated to me on the fourth floor, I was immediately struck by the fact the room had no City view and in fact was overlooked by an apartment block opposite.
I contacted reception and they explained that Executive rooms do not, in fact, have a view but they could show me two other rooms available. Zsofia was extremely apologetic and showed me a regular room with a river view and a Suite, which was larger but with a view as well. I said that I felt it wasn't reasonable for me to downsize to get what I had paid for and if she could swap me to the larger room with a view I would be happy. Zsofia said she would check with her manager if I came to reception.
After a few moments I was met at reception by Brandy Dragan. I felt from the outset that Brandy was unnecessarily confrontational. I explained that I had booked an Executive Room with a view and if Executive Rooms did not have a view then that is misleading. She said the Executive Rooms do have a view of the city as the hotel is situated in the City of London. However to advertise a room as having a view as an added feature raises expectations when in fact there was no added value as the room actually looked onto an immediately adjacent apartment block. Brandy’s solution was to either stay where I was, downsize me to a regular room with one free breakfast or offer me the suite for £100 extra. I explained that I would not be breakfasting at the hotel.
She refused to accept that the description was misleading and her hostility astounded me. Had it not been my partner's birthday I would have asked for a refund and walked away but I had reservations for the evening and did not want to jeopardize them.
Eventually, after a dialogue of several minutes with Brandy, she said she had another room available but if I didn't like it “that was it”. She walked away from me and I never saw her again. Throughout the whole conversation she neither apologised nor sympathised. Zsofia then showed me to a room, which – although not an executive room - had a balcony and city view. I could have the room but had to accept that there was no separate shower and the TV in the bathroom did not work. In addition to this I discovered the air conditioning was faulty, as was the shower control.
I took the room as I was tired of arguing and was aware it was spoiling our day, which we had been looking forward to.
On my arrival home I spoke with lastminute.com who connected me with your other Front Desk Manager Antonio and he agreed that the room’s description could be misleading and said he would change it.
I feel that the whole situation would have been made better if Brandy had accepted the fact that to advertise a room with a City view is misleading if it has no view. According to Brandy’s logic every room in London has a city view as they are in the city, but to specifically mention this in order to add value to a room is misleading. A basement room with a window that looks out to a wall would not constitute a city view in most people's minds but according to Brandy that is what it is.
She also said most people research where they are staying before they book, implying it was my fault for not knowing the room had no view. When I book a hotel, and I have stayed in many 5* hotels around the world, I do not think it unreasonable to be able to take the hotel's description at face value.
The hotel is in a terrible location if you intend to connect to Soho or the West End.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank aeroscotia
Verta1, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry you left uploading this review until now, as it would have been so much easier to resolve the issues at the time; 5 months later is a challenge. Many guests love the hotel as can be seen from so many reviews, however we take all feedback very constructively and current feedback is invaluable.

Beverly

Write a ReviewReviews (1,517)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I've booked this hotel for the second time, because I appreciate the clean and large rooms and the friendly stuff. This time I stayed for four nights with my nephew - perfect starting point for his first visit of london!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear J,

Thank you for such a lovely review and they mean so much when they are from repeat guests - we hope to see you again soon.
It was lovely looking after you both and I know he enjoyed the helicopters and the stunning views from the top floor - what a kind auntie !

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This room was advertised as a river view room but the river was only partially visible and should have been advertised as a city view room. As a result I paid for a river view and really only received a city view. The room looked as if it had been patched together in places by a poor electrician with the thermostat being stuck onto the wall with velcro. Also the left hand side light switch was missing a few buttons so some of the settings could not be achieved unless you moved over to the other side of the bed. The light system meant that you would spend 5 minutes trying to achieve the correct setting as each button meant that a variety of lights would come on and off rather than there being on switch for each light. The bathroom was clean but sadly only in places with signs of the previous residences still showing. Also the bath tap was stiff to operate so it was not until a rather firm hand meant that we could have a bath.
The location is relatively poor but there are buses right outside and taxis can take you to a tube station for a relatively low price.
Overall I would say that I have been to better 4 star hotels that have been in slightly better shape than this and if a few maintenance issues had been made to look tidier then the review would have been better but I would've expect these issues from a 5 star hotel. Also I was not please to be paying for a river view to only receive a partial river view and a majority of city view which is basically an industrial estate. Would I stay again? Maybe but only if the room is in better shape.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank George W

Dear George,

I hope you will come back and see us soon - do let us know when you are coming so we can show you that this was an isolated incident and make sure you get a stunning river view. We do have a complex and intricate lighting system from Phillips and when it works its perfect, but if there is an issue, resolving it can take a few days - and the local engineers do as best they can - the specialists were in the hotel only yesterday tweaking one or two rooms

Do come back soon

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Positives: We booked the two bedroom Rose suite for a birthday treat. Located on floor R at the top of the hotel, it offers fantastic views of the wharf and river.

The suite itself was tastefully decorated and huge. We had asked for balloons and champagne which were set up bu concierge and were great.

Bathrooms have hot powerful showers and great luxury products. Dressing gowns a little worse for wear but perfectly clean. Slippers provided too.

All staff we encountered were generally friendly and accommodating. The young gentleman who works at reception was particularly warm and profession and deserves a special mention. So does the young girl who works as the waitress, she did everything she could to provide us with a gluten free meal.

Room service was quick and bugers tasty.

Room for improvement:

TV in one of the bedrooms didn't work.

The green emergency lights in the bedrooms are very bright and it took me a while to get to sleep. I have never known such bright lights before which can't be dimmed.

The mood lighting didn't seem to work. Many buttons but could only have super bright or off.

I'd like to end the review by giving a special mention to the masseuses in the SPA. We had the best holistic massage and facial I've experienced. Pure heaven, very relaxing, friendly and well worth the cost. The SPA itself has great facilities, steam room, sauna, dry room and large hydrotherapy pool.

We would return to the SPA for definite.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank foard83
Verta1, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London - Battersea, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for the excellent lay out of your response. The spa is sensational, we are just getting rave reviews now and having to take on more therapists - I wish we had more rooms - I hope you also found time to enjoy the thermal suite as well I can identify who the individuals who were so helpful so thank you for singling out them in your response Thank you

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here in the night of my wedding and the night after... The service was amazing, the rooms were spacious and beautiful and to top it off the breakfast and spa were both great. We also had very very nice views!

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend the room with London views, very nice!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your wedding and we are delighted you chose to spend the 2 nights after your wedding with us- I am pleased you managed to enjoy the Spa , - you must come back for your anniversary.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed there Sat to Sun, having chosen it on Lastminute.com

Lovely service, the room we were given was messy when we arrived and after a quick call to the reception desk, we were moved and upgraded to a roof terrace suite.

Lovely views across the Thames and got to see a helicopter takeoff at the Heliport next door.

Room and bed was very comfortable.

A couple of negatives -the TV nearly fell off the wall when pulling out the arm so we could view in bed and had to fiddle with someways at the back to get the picture.

The Breakfast was two star, not a huge choice and the hot food looked like it was cooked elsewhere and shipped in!!

The shuttle they provide is booked up very quickly so book in advance of your stay or the night before.

Other than that we enjoyed it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your one night stay with us and that you enjoyed your room, the views and the helipad activity - I am sorry about your comments on breakfast and I can 100 % reassure you everything is cooked fresh in very small quantities.

Glad you enjoyed your stay,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

First class hotel, reception staff friendly, helpful and extremely polite. could not fault this place at all. Very clean throughout, great spa and lovely views of the city. Will certainly come back again.

Room Tip: Rose suite, breath taking!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bill A

Dear Guest,

Great review we loved it - and I am so pleased the reception looked after you so well- they are a great department- see you soon I hope.