“Excellent Restaurant”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City of London
Transit: Underground: Chancery Lane
Description: If you don't believe in fairytales, perhaps a visit to The White Swan will change your mind. Tom and Ed Martin, the brothers who run the Swan's umbrella company ETM Group, have applied their magic to transform the former Mucky Duck into a charismatic gastropub. The groundfloor houses a beautifully restored pub packed with traditional features and serving classic pub favourites. Above this is a mezzanine area perfect for after work drinks or a casual drinks party. The first floor dining room meanwhile is an oak-floored, mirrored ceiling restaurant serving tasty British food from the best suppliers and carefully selected produce. The wine menu has been carefully selected from the world's finest vineyards but you are never too far away from a real Ale from the downstairs pub.
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The White Swan - in the heart of "Legal London" - is home to a superb upstairs restaurant. There is a varied menu of exceptional quality and the staff take extra care to ensure you are well looked-after. There is a concise, high-quality wine list and the room itself, although relatively small, is well spaced out and comfortable. I would recommend the Herdwick Mutton main course and the wonderful cheese selection. This place is a hidden gem and the cooking is far superior to anything else on offer in the immediate local area.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The White Swan is hidden away from the noise of the streets outside but the food is divine. The Chef prepares every dish with love and the food menu is absolutely tantalizing. Definitely worth visiting and it feels all the better because of the amazing service we received.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We visited this place on a Wednesday evening as a party of seven (five adults and two teenagers). I booked the place with a Tastecard. I knew it was a fairly upmarket pub but boy their top-floor restaurant definitely doesn't deliver your average pub grub. We were greeted by an absolutely charming waiter (possibly French?) who seated us at an already extended table (no shuffling necessary). The wine list is extensive and we went for an incredibly reasonably priced and delicious Languedoc Syrah/Grenache. Only my dad and I were greedy for a starter and King scallops, braised celery, walnuts, caper and raisin purée did not disappoint. Caper puree was a revelation and scallops melted in our mouths. Pan fried duck breast, confit leg, seared foie gras and quince was on almost everyone's mind when we ordered mains, and it was one of the best duck breasts I've ever had. I was told that artichoke ravioli, greens, burford brown egg and wild mushrooms was a total success as well. Desserts are also worth mentioning, especially the chocolate delice, crème fraîche sorbet which comes very close to chocolate over-dose but is balanced very nicely with the sorbet. The food prices are on the slightly expensive side but even without the 50% discount on Tastecard I think the flavours and the service are worth it. I'll definitely be coming back.

2  Thank Copyofthereal
Reviewed 23 February 2014

A high-ceilinged, airy, atmospheric pub restaurant, the White Swan is a great place for lunch. Whether on the pubby ground floor, the intimate mezzanine level, or in the dining room there’s space to suit the mood or time constraints. The service was welcoming and efficient so no worries that we would be late for a scheduled afternoon appointment.

My marinated beetroot leaves, goat’s cheese & pine nuts was excellent as was the duck breast with confit leg and foie gras. And there was a good choice of wine. Nice.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was invited today for a business lunch in the upstairs (2nd floor) restaurant. It's a great building, from the moment you walk into the bar area on street level, everything is spotlessly clean but with a warm wood panelling and well lit ambience.
The menu is modern English. Presentation of all the dishes was modern, on slate or pure white porcelain. We were both offered a complimentary taster - deep fried chopped fish ball with a tangy sauce and pea shoot salad leave. Delicious. A real appetiser.
My first course: cod cheeks with cubes of slow roast pork belly, set on a pickled radish and thinly sliced cauliflower base. Amazing flavour combination. My host chose smoked eel - which is served as a pate with a small salad. She had never tried smoked eel before and loved it. The breads were crispy, full of flavour.
We both decided on the Peterhead Cod main course. Poached and then flash grilled to ad colour. The fish was so fresh it just flaked apart. Delicious. The whole food experience in this restaurant is about the massive flavours the chefs can produce. Wonderful. One of the best meals I've had in years.
Prices are very reasonable. You can check out the current menu and prices online.